Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Paulo,

Congrats. Looks awesome. Funny, I was about to suggest to keep the name and you are! You can always add a "C", and it's CALMA! "Sexy Beast" could also fit it well! Celebrate, Hans.
CALMA. very funny Hans and also a nice name for a fast boat.

It seems that you know some Portuguese For the ones that don't understood the joke Calma means in Portuguese: Easy/Slow down.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviid View Post
Hi Paulo

Your new boat looks awesome. Although the trend is for twin helms these days, I really like the look of the oversized performance helm on your boat. Also it seems that you are not going to have any problems as regards ventilation - there are enough hatches to be sure. I love the look of the interior - the detailing is obvious and the quality shines through. Why are the companionway stairs so steep though? Is this a parking position or a permanent set-up?

I was going to ask you if you were changing the name - some folk are quite superstitious about that - myself not included.

Anyway, I am sure you can't wait to run with the white horses soonest.

David
Yes you are right, the companionway stairs are a bit steep. I guess it is an Italian thing because the ones from the Grand Soleil 39 is not better. We will manage with that.

Yes, the boat is not a model in what regards ventilation but it has enough hatches to be functional.

Some more photos. They were not made by me and they are a bit on the low quality side.

By the way that wheel is a curious one: An aluminium one

Back in 2007 the 41s was the smallest Comet. Mostly they were making 45/50fts. This is the big brother

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-23-2012

What an wonderful new: Hatairos, the big classical flavored yacht took line honors on the Caribbean 600 beating all racing boats, including the big and powerful 90ft Rambler. The big cruising ketch, designed by Reichel / Pugh and Dykstra won by almost two hours.

Hatairos Navigator Marc Lagesse: "I must say I am very surprised that we were the first at the finish. On Line Honors, I would not have believed before the start, as the ship and sailing are not optimal for this course.."

Well, I cannot wait to be what the boat can do on an optimal course

They averaged 22k speed.

Isn't it a beauty, I mean a fast beauty:

On compensated won another beautiful one, this time a race one that normally beats bigger boats, and has won already many races, Ran the Judel/Vrolijk designed 72ft. Look at it, on another race:

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow! Amazing boat Pualo!!

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-23-2012

Thanks Smack, even if that "Pualo" sounds odd

Guys look at this:

I know, it is not a sailboat...but it is a nice boat and I want to share something that take me by surprise....not Venice, everybody knows it is beautiful, but the Museum, not any museum but the Naval History Museum.

It costs almost nothing to visit, it is almost empty...and it is wonderful.

Take my word, if you go to Venice, and everybody should go sooner or later, don't forget the Naval museum and if you love boats you will not regret it: From the Bucintoro to the huge rings the Dodges used to throw every year to the sea to celebrate the city marriage with the sea to incredible drawings of warships and beautiful models you have for several hours of amazement.

Yes, it would be strange if a city married with the sea for so many years had not a great boat museum but the fact is that I had already been in Venice and never heard about it.

So now you know

Marina Militare
Old 02-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Oops. You can call me Sckam.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-23-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paulo,

Most of the issues with the new ride can be sorted in due course. You uiltmately choose your priorities.
As for the galley ... just how much passage making do you intend to do ? The more time I spend on passage for longer than just daylight runs the more I realise that all galleys are a bugger to work in at sea and that unless you are talking passages of longer than four or five days then its best to do most of your preparation before you set off and/or eat simply when at sea. But I'm sure you know all this.
Reality is you'll spend most time at anchor where the only negative of the in line galley is the loss of a settee berth opposing the dinette.

Good to hear your op went well.

Cheers

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
As for the galley ... just how much passage making do you intend to do ? The more time I spend on passage for longer than just daylight runs the more I realise that all galleys are a bugger to work in at sea and that unless you are talking passages of longer than four or five days then its best to do most of your preparation before you set off and/or eat simply when at sea. But I'm sure you know all this.
Reality is you'll spend most time at anchor where the only negative of the in line galley is the loss of a settee berth opposing the dinette.
Yes, you are right regarding the galley. If a in line galley is well done with support for the back, like the one on some boats, it is not a problem to work there. Probably it is more confortable than a partial side support on the other type of galley and the in line galley has the advantage of a much better storage space for m2 of bench.

Where the real advantage lays is on the two lateral bunks instead of one, two sea berths, or if you only need one, the possibility of choosing the one that is more comfortable depending on the tack and the boat heeling.

Probably because very few make significant use of sea berths, the in line galley is become more and more popular because as a galley is more functional and has more storage space.

Well, that's why my wife likes more in line galleys and I like more classical Galleys. I don't care for the galley, what I like is the two lateral bunks

Take a good look at this one from the Bavaria 40:

Bavaria Yachtbau: 360°-Bilder

Not properly nice but very big and functional, with support to the back and a bar for clipping a waist harness. You have to give credit to Bavaria for this kind of stuff (also for the optional security system for the cockpit and deck).

Almost nobody use it but they continue to do boats like if they were really to be sailed hard and long

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-23-2012

If you are interested in a new 36/37 ft you should have a look at the last edition of "Yacht " magazine or at least buy (on line) their last boat test:

With all the boats in the water at the same time they have tested the Bavaria 36, the Jeanneau 379, the Hanse 385, The Delphia 37.3 and the Benetau Oceanis 37.

The test from the video is interesting even if they only got light wind, at least when they were filming.

MOVIE:

http://tv.yacht.de/video/F%25C3%25BC...e1725f73eb15ca
Old 02-24-2012

TNT 34, a very interesting Trimaran that promises to have an explosive performance, an apropriated name I would say.

Trimarans are expensive but this one is not as expensive as the Dragonfly 35 even if its interior is simpler and less well finished.

For about 200 000€ some lucky guy will have a boat that has cruising capacity, an incredible sailing performance and a boat that can fold in two ways: For transporting in a trailer and laterally (see the movie) to fit in the marina on a monohull place.
And it is also a looker. I will be waiting for a video of this one sailing, I bet it will be interesting.

MOVIE - folding:

http://www.motorcat.com/wideo-tnt34/tnt34-video.html

Last edited by PCP; 02-24-2012 at 12:18 PM.