Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
And changing subject, from luxury to traditional historical boats, a very beautiful one, The American corsair "Lynx", a replica of one of the fastest boats of its time (1812):

Welcome To The Home Of America's Privateer Lynx

Curiously its naval history was quite short:

HMS Mosquidobit (sometimes Musquedobet or Musquidobit) was the Chesapeake-built six-gun schooner Lynx that the British Royal Navy captured and took into service in 1813. She was sold into commercial service in 1820 and nothing is known of her subsequent fate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Mosquidobit_(1813)

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2012

Curiously the French also have a replica of a corsair boat, exactly from the same year, La Renard:

Rassemblement de vieux gréements à Diélette por normandietv-wizdeo

MOVIE:

Vidéo Ina - Lancement du Renard des mers à St Malo pendant le Festival Etonnants voyageurs, vidéo Lancement du Renard des mers à St Malo pendant le Festival Etonnants voyageurs, vidéo Art et Culture Musique - Archives vidéos Art et Culture Musique :

Le bateau corsaire - Les escapades de Philippe por Hautebretagne

In what regards sailing movies the Lynx win hands down, in what regards historical naval battles, le Renard wins easely, what about a race to have a tie

The Renard (Fox) was a boat armed by one of the most famous French corsair, Robert Surcouf. Under the command of captain Leroux-Desrochettes la Renard with a 46 crew fought and destroyed the much bigger Btitish navy boat Alphea with a crew of 80.

The battle was terrible and in September 9, 1813, in the dead of night, they fought for 4 hours till Alphea got blown out of the water by an explosion.

The Renard returned to Saint Malo sailed by the only 6 crew that were not dead or seriously wounded. They lost more than half of its crew, including the Captain.

Last edited by PCP; 02-26-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2012

And since we are talking about traditional boats one of the best movies I know of is this one covering the week of Morbihan Golf, back in 2009, a wonderful one in 3 parts:

Semaine du Golfe du Morbihan - Episode 1 por Sailingnews

Semaine du Golfe du Morbihan - Episode 2 por Sailingnews

Semaine du Golfe du Morbihan - Episode 3 por Sailingnews
Old 02-27-2012

I have already talked here about the RM 1350, the boat that the Italian "Giornalle de la Vela" considered the best performance cruiser in its class and that comparing with all the best boats in its class, including some great Italian ones like the Comet 45 or Grand Soleil 46.

Best performance cruiser means not necessarily the fastest but this boat is certainly fast, the most adapted for extensive cruising and by far the best to live aboard. One of the best I would say and since many here are thinking about that i will post again with some new information.

A video from a boat test sail made by " Seilas" magazine and a good diaporama:

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2012

Some more movies of a beautiful boat we also have talked about, the Bestwind 50. The boat was one of the nominees for the 2012 boat of the year on the class that was wined by the Oyster 625:

And here, even if the movie is made on a HR 64, we can see him, going well on an heavy sea and lots of wind:

And finally, from the same "family", the Bestevaer 56:

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2012

motorcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks. When you have it sailing, please post.

The only thing I don't like on the boat is the interior. Yes I know it has to be simple not to make the boat expensive and to keep it light, but I am talking not only about materials but about interior design, particularly colors: They are all wrong for a modern boat of this type. If we look only to the interior we would say that this was an old boat.

The boat interior really needs the work of a good interior boat designer, one used to light materials.

Regards

Paulo
No problem . End of the April we plan to finish sea trails at the Baltic sea , so I will keep You posted after
Interior design can be change according to the end customer wish , as this exist has been made

Cheers
Kris
Old 02-27-2012

myocean is on a distinguished road
Not for Cruising...

Hi Together!

Not for cruising but definitely an interesting sailboat for having lots of fun:

Look this pic how I enjoyed the weekend on San Francisco Bay having the chance to join some great sailors on this new 33ft cat

Ulf
Old 02-27-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Paulo,

Regarding that RM. I noticed the cockpit traveler. It would seem to divide the cockpit up making it impossible to provide a full cockpit canopy. It does look to be a fast boat, but man, the 70's called and they want their interior back.
Old 02-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Paulo,

Regarding that RM. I noticed the cockpit traveler. It would seem to divide the cockpit up making it impossible to provide a full cockpit canopy. It does look to be a fast boat, but man, the 70's called and they want their interior back.
That's a boat for guys that like to sail and travel far and also a boat to circumnavigate. You have to choose if you want a perfect control of the main or some more commodities.

Nevertheless the boat has a big bimini.

Regarding the interior, it is not from the 70's, it's a modern one. Well I have to admit I don't like it but lots of guys like that zen look. RM (with this one and the other models) is probably the brand that have grow more last year...unless it was Pogo

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-28-2012

myocean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Uau!!!! did you have luck with the wind? Did the cat lift its "leg up in the air"?

Regards

Paulo
Well, we had 12-15 or 20 knots. The picture from us above has been taken by a sailing blog-author. Its cool steering such a machine with flying hull - the altitude is the feedback you get for how to steer...
At the same time I found it being much more relaxed than expected.