Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

New boat.... and what a boat!!!!! look at this bow:

This boat will have a huge stability. Not only the keel is maximized in what regardes producing RM has this boat has almost half of its weight on the keel.

I like it, like it very much....except the price
The march issue of Sailing includes a design review by Bob Perry for the XP 50. Nice boat, but choose your cruising grounds carefully, considering the shoal draft of 8'8" (deep draft 9'10") .
Also reviewed is the HR412, which I would prefer as a cruising boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
The march issue of Sailing includes a design review by Bob Perry for the XP 50. Nice boat, but choose your cruising grounds carefully, considering the shoal draft of 8'8" (deep draft 9'10") .
Also reviewed is the HR412, which I would prefer as a cruising boat.
Hei Hans,
Sure, I agree with you about the cruising grounds but I can tell you that last year I was cruising in Croatia with a boat with 2.7m draft and had not any problem, not even at 20m off the coast. Plenty of places where you don't have any problems with draft. It is the other way around, there are some places where you have problems with draft

Anyway what you say is not entirely correct: The 8'8" is the standard draft, the 9'10" is the long draft and they did not yet disclosed the shallow draft that I am sure it will be produced if someone wants it.

Regarding the HR412 it was already posted here and it is a very welcome attempt (following the 372) of HR to modernize their designs, following what is been made in the XC cruising line. It seems to be a great boat even if I think it has a baddly design (ugly) transom.

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-06-2012

Classics; Three beautiful movies:

Voiles de St Tropez from DIGIVISION on Vimeo.

Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez from kaaps || spaako on Vimeo.

Old 03-07-2012

New safety rules on the Open 60's. Know they have not only to come out of an inverted position without outside help in a flat sea, as, before that, they have to came out of the boat, have a walk on the hull and go inside again. Funny

Old 03-07-2012

Quote:
Hei Hans,
.... It is the other way around, there are some places where you have problems with draft
It seems to be a great boat even if I think it has a baddly design (ugly) transom.

Regards

Paulo
Hans !???
Not quite sure what point you are trying to make about the draft, but it sounds exactly the same as what I posted.
Also, you may want to reconsider your broad use of the word "ugly". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and finding two sailors agreeing on the aesthetics of a particular vessel will be hard, just as finding two guys agreeing on the looks of a girl. You would never call the other guys wife ugly, just because she doesn't fit your mold, would you?
Well, then again, maybe you would.....
Old 03-07-2012

Quote:
Not quite sure what point you are trying to make about the draft, but it sounds exactly the same as what I posted.
You have said "shoal draft of 8'8" (deep draft 9'10")"

If you look at the boat specifications:

All the Facts

You will see that 9.68ft is the deep draft but that 8.69ft (8'8") is not the shoal draft but the standard draft. Here normally racer/cruisers are offered in three versions, a deep draft, normally used by the ones that race the boat, a standard draft, used by the ones that don't have a particular problem in their cruising areas and a shoal draft, for the ones that want the minimum draft.

What I have said is that they had advertised the standard and deep draft, but not yet the shoal draft. Clear now

Quote:

Also, you may want to reconsider your broad use of the word "ugly". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and finding two sailors agreeing on the aesthetics of a particular vessel will be hard, just as finding two guys agreeing on the looks of a girl. You would never call the other guys wife ugly, just because she doesn't fit your mold, would you?
Well, then again, maybe you would.....
Well, I would politely pretend to agree with you if it was your boat, but as an Art teacher I cannot agree with you. Certainly beauty can be served in many shapes and styles and most will be able to appreciate only one kind but that is not my case, by profession. Even if there is some latitude in what regards to appreciate beauty, beauty is not a relative thing otherwise we could not differentiated ugliness from beauty. And it is not also a personal thing because we can agree in what is a beautiful women, a beautiful boat or a beautiful scenery.

Regarding the old fashioned Halberg Rassy transom, compare it with the one of its main rival, the boat that in my opinion influenced the direction of Halberg-Rassy traditional design and for the better.

I am talking about a badly designed butand there is no other way of saying that, or maybe:
Old 03-07-2012

Back to that Open 60, Acciona, it is a very interesting boat. I guess that if that boat makes it till the final of the Vendee Globe, it will be a winner, at least for me.

And it will be a winner because that boat is the future and the way all Vendee Globe and ocean racers should be: Completely auto-sufficient.

That will develop technology that all of us can use in our cruising boats.

Do you imagine the energy needs of one of these babies for many months? Complicated electronic, big plotter, or better, navigation computer, satellite communication...and big canting keel?

The main energy providers are two hydro-generators (400W each at 15K speed) more two wind generators good for 350w each at 20K wind and 12m2 of solar panels. The energy is stored in lithium 48v batteries.

Chapeau and the best luck for its Spanish skipper Javier Sansó.

Vendée Globe 2012-13 : Le Vendée Globe sans une goutte de gazole ! - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

IMOCA Open 60 : Owen Clarke Design - Yacht Design and Naval Architects

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2012

This time the Victory is not escaping to the French from Groupama and they are going to finish in style at full blast. The race till now dominated by the Spanish will become Hot, with the French in hot pursuit.

For second place on the leg, the Australian/Americans from Puma were caught and overtaken by the Spanish from Telefonica but the fight remains hot, really hot, with 700Nm to go 30Nm separates the two boats.

Finally an interesting race

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

Old 03-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kend4erMe View Post
This will give the boat almost the capabilities of a motor-sailor.
Hi ken,

Do you mean the autonomy on a light sailboat equipped like that Open60?

In fact it gives a lot more autonomy because a motorsailor will always be using a lot of fuel even to motorsail and never mind how big the tankage, it will always come to an end, not to mention the price of fuel.

The real revolution was developed for the Open 60 and is now at the service of cruisers. It is a hydrogenerator, very light, very simple and that produces a lot of power with little drag. In a cruising boat going at 7K it will produce 500W and 500w all the time. It is a perfect tool for having energy while on passage.

Unfortunately it does not solve the problem while you are at anchor. I guess the better solution to solve both problems will be a big solar shade and this baby. That way I guess most problems will be solved while sailing and at anchor...except on rainy days, were you would have to run the engine.

It is not cheap but if you sail a lot it will worth it.

http://www.wattandsea.com/en

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2012

Quote:
Plenty of places where you don't have any problems with draft. It is the other way around, there are some places where you have problems with draft

Regards

Paulo
Paolo,
The above quote was what I was referring to. Still sounds exactly what I posted.... with "choosing your cruising grounds carefully". Are you just disagreeing to disagree even though you agree????
I did understand however, that that you as an art teacher are ultimately more capable to judge the aesthetics of a boat than anyone else. Got it!!
Now back to the previously scheduled program...
Here is a Daysailer from Southerly with their signature variable draft keel.

Speadwave 32

Not sure what a "speadwave" is....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.