Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
RM 1060 first photos

On pag 8, post 77 we talked about the RM 1060. The drawings were nice but sometimes reallity is not as attractive as the drawings.

Not in this case. The boat seems even nicer than in the drawings.

It is so nice that I am tented to think: Do I really need a bigger boat?

[/IMG]

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2010

Dehler 41

Another very interesting boat on its way to production:

The new Dehler 41.

Hanse (the new owner of Dehler) had said that in the future Hanse would produce the big boats and Dehler only the smaller boats (35 and less). I am very happy that they have changed politics or have stretched that lower limit. The 41 looks just great and I can only hope that mass production techniques and extensive robotic use (introduced by Hanse) can make it an affordable boat.

"The research process by the yard about tooling, interior layouts, equipment and modern and effective building processes is not completely finished yet, but this boat will not only be competitive on the water in both racing and cruising, it will be competitive in its pricing as well. "

My Sailing: A new Dehler 41 is shaping up

Dehler Yachts

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2010

Nordship 36 movie

Take a look how the Nordship 36 sails. This is a fast boat for a 36DS:

http://www.yacht.de/yo/yo_news/show.php3?id=9437&nodeid=294

One thing is to say, other is to see it . I believe this boat is on the same Halberg-Rassy and Najad, not only in what concerns quality but also in what concerns speed. Unfortunately it is also on the same league in what concerns price .

And the new Najad and Halberg-Rassy are not slow boats, if we compare them with older oceangoing cruising boats.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Semi latest on the Jeanneau 409
New Sun Odyssey 409 Gets Early Seal of Approval

Marty
Old 09-13-2010

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

I did not forget the 409 . I was just waiting for the release of the interior pictures. No luck, but if they are like the artist's designs, they will be great, the best on this class, in my opinion.

As you have said, the boat was selected to compete for this year best European boat and that means something (their are chosen and voted by boat reporters).

The boat has very good cruising characteristics (big tankage), it will be fast (depending of the choice of sails/rig), it seems to have a good hull, is designed to be easily handed and it is a relatively stiff boat, with a Ballast/displacement of 0,30. In that class only the new Bavaria 40 and the Hanse 400 have a better ratio (0.31 and 0.32).

I believe this boat is going to smoke the Oceanis 40 (that has a B/D ratio of only 0,26). This means that this boat can carry more sail (and it will specially on the performance sails and rig option) and with that big tankage and nice interior will be a good contender for the last boat of the year, the more expensive Dufour 405 that as also a nice interior and a B/D of 0,29.

The Bavaria and the Hanse bet on a slightly different direction, with a superior B/D ratio and with a more sportive rig (if you chose the right options) they offer a superior stability and a more oceangoing boat.

The new jeanneau will be a perfect cruising boat for the ones that want a relatively fast and uncomplicated cruising boat with a good tankage and a very good interior....and I believe that includes almost all cruisers. I believe the boat is going to be a success .

For me, just give me the Hanse (or even the Bavaria) with the tankage and the Jeanneau's interior at the Bavaria price and I will probably not resist to that offer.

Sun Odyssey 409 - fast and easy to handle -- boot Trade Fair

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2010

myocean is on a distinguished road
Another very nice one is the Luffe 40.04 - just 6 tons and superb quality and comfort.

http://www.luffe.com/imgcache/Segeln...53.640X426.jpg

Probably quite fast...
Old 09-18-2010

Luffe 40.04

I agree. The Luffe 40.04 (as most of the Luffe : I have already posted about a luffe, the 43DS, on pag 12, post 112) is one of the prettiest boats around and it is not only very nice, but it is also very fast. The 40.04 is as fast as the 43, and the 43 is fast.

I know that not only by the race results (the Luffe 40.04 is one of the main contender on the Nordic races) but because I have test sailed that boat, four or five years ago when it came to the market. And I mean that one, the one that is on the photos (with 3D sails). That one is (or was) the personal boat of Oluf Jorgensen, the owner of the shipyard (and the boat designer). He is the one at the wheel.

As a cruising boat the Luffe has the advantages of having very good and very beautiful interiors, to have a very nice motion through the water but also some disadvantages: It heels a lot (because it is a lot narrower than the typical 40ft cruiser racer), I mean, it heels to the position that is on the photos and then stays there, rock solid; it has the interior dimensions and the weight of a 36/Ft boat and has reduced tankage (160L water– 90L Diesel).

As other positive points: it needs a lot less sail area to go at the same speed or faster than the other 40ft cruiser racers (more manageable rig), it can have an integrated self-tacking jib and its keel and stays are fixed to a inner TBS steel frame, molded to the hull. This permits a very light and very strong boat.

The boat has already a Ballast/Displacement of 40% but if you want a stiffer boat (for cruising) they can put more 200kg ballast (it is not a problem with the forces being distributed to the hull by that steel grid). They can also modify the boat to some extent to your needs.

The boat is a bit more expensive than an Elan 410 or a Salona 41, but I think it deserves the money it costs. You can see where it was spent.

About speed, here you have one Luffe 40.04 sailing downwind with a main sail with one reef and just a small jib doing 13 K. The boat seems very stable and very well balanced. I wonder what would have been the speed under main and spinnaker?

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]>

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Finally!! A go-fast racer someone actually put some thought into - with usable storage below and adequate hand-holds!

Looks good, Paulo! ..but I bet they'd never be for sale over here...
Old 09-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post

Looks good, Paulo! ..but I bet they'd never be for sale over here...
They don't work that way.

Luffe has no dealers. If I buy one I will be almost on the same position as an American buyer. The shipyard is thousands of km away and if the boat has any problem under warranty they would have to send a technician and contract a local shipyard to do the work under their supervision.

Only the transport will be more expensive, but you can always pick the boat at the shipyard and sail it home.

The boats can only be sold at those prices because they don't advertise them they don't go to boat shows and they don't have dealers. They can cut the dealer share and the share for publicity (30%?).

People buy them because they are built one by one as art works, with care and love and therefore problems are minimized. I have been on several boat shipyards (5 or 6) and I can tell you I have never saw anything like their own.

It is so "clean" that you can eat on the floor

They have also one of the best values on the used market. Just google it and you can find used Luffe boats at very high prices.

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-22-2010

First 40

Guys, I would like to call your attention to a boat that all of you know

No, I am no going senile it is just that what makes a boat interesting is not only its merits but also its price.

The Beneteau First 40 is interesting by its own qualities but now it is been offered in a new version (CR) at a price that is hard to resist. To give you an idea, the price would not be faraway from the one from a Bavaria 40 fully equipped and at least 40 000 euros less than the other European cruiser racers (Dufour, Elan, Salona) and about the same than a 380 Elan. And, off course, this boat is quick.

As everybody know, on its really big first regatta he won, not less than its class at the Sydney Hobart and after that the boat as won many important races. Not that I am much interested in racing, but I certainly want a fast and enjoyable boat to sail.

That's true that the First 40 as the less appealing interior (if we don't consider the Pogo) but it is not that bad to justify that difference in price. Fact is that it is a rather plain interior but with all you really need to cruise comfortably.

The First has even some advantages. From all those boats it is the one with the better Ballast/Displacement and by a large margin (42% versus 32 or 33%). the boat is incredibly stiff. To give you an idea it is 25% more stiff than the previous 40.7...and the 40.7 is a stiff boat We can compare it in that aspect to the J 122, but that one would cost more 80 000 euros, and that's almost twice the Beneteau price .

This means that the boat can carry a large amount of sail, it will reef later and has the right stuff to be a very good and fast blue water boat.

The boat had small tankage (200L of water and 130L of fuel) but now you have an option for a 90 L extra water tank and regarding fuel, this is one of the boats that can sail in very weak winds (5K) so you really don't need a big diesel tank. It has a deep draft of 2.40, but also an option for a cruising keel with 1.95 m.

The boat has a good list of options with everything that is needed for cruising (most of them are included in the price of the CR version) and it seems to me as one of the best offers in what regards price/performance/quality/fast cruising or racing.

I am going to test sail this one soon, but in the meantime I leave you with the words of others that have already done that:

"Objectively detached with an aura of professional gravitas" best describes the four judges in Cruising World's 2010 Boat of the Year contest, if I do say so myself. At the dock, we interviewed each entrant's representatives and systematically inspected the boats. On the water, we uniformly anchored, motored, reefed, and test-sailed them, all the while furiously scratching numbers and notes on our various forms.

Aboard the Beneteau First 40, however, the moment the vessel powered up under sail, those notepads hit the deck like raindrops. As each of us jockeyed for position at the wheel, our professional demeanors gave way to big smiles and even the occasional "Yahoo!" Where once stood stone-faced number crunchers, big kids now gleefully put the pedal to the metalAnd that's exactly what Beneteau planners had in mind when they conceived the First 40. But they wanted to include the family, too, so they approached the team at Farr Yacht Design with a broad brief: Keep or even improve the performance of the highly successful First 40.7, but include all the requisite elements of a family-friendly cruiser, including lounging spaces in the cockpit, a well-appointed interior, and viable systems for extended coastal voyages.
..."

"Few compromises face the cruisers below. The attractive Alpi interior is open, bright, functional, and well ventilated due to numerous deck hatches and portholes. The two double cabins aft and the forepeak double, all with standing headroom, will accommodate the entire family. A large leafed table attached to the centerline sole opens up to straight seating both port and starboard. "

Beneteau First 40: Copious Cruising Comforts and Speed to Burn - Cruising World

"Designed by Bruce Farr, the First 40 does an admirable job of blending a truly fast hull with a very stylish interior. And although another magazine named the Beneteau First 40 the crossover boat of the year, thatís not quite right. Itís not likely you will buy the First 40 because of its interior, although the oak-finished cabin is certainly handsome and surprisingly comfortable. Letís be candid, the reason for buying a Beneteau First 40 is because you want to sail fast all the time, and thereís nothing wrong with that.

......Back on the bay, Garth Hitchens from Annapolis Yacht Sales, the local Beneteau dealer, had assembled a crack crew to put the First 40 to the test. As soon as we cleared Back Creek and canned the engine, we popped the spinnaker, a broad shouldered S1 chute that immediately powered up the First 40. The conditions were ideal: 10 to 14 knots with a modest chop. Driving toward the Bay Bridge, we sped up over 7 knots on a deep reach. Heating things up a bit to stay in deep water we accelerated over 8 and then flirted with 9 knots."

Sailing Magazine | Beneteau First 40

"COMPARISONS WITH THE 40.7?

The new First 40 is stiffer, 25% more righting with a taller, high aspect rig, and non-overlapping headsails. The hull is about a foot longer and is stiffer due to the newer build technologies. It is quicker on all points of sail. Typically the 40.7 rates around 1.060 to 1.073, while the new First 40 is reckoned to come in around 1.088.....

Personally I think the ĎFarrí transom ages the boat unnecessarily, but that is a purely subjective call.

In every respect the 40 is a good looking boat which does, as we said with the 45, have as broad an appeal as possible in terms of the appearance.

Certainly Beneteau could have gone for something much more contemporary, but this boat is about creating something which will stand the test of time."

Yachting Life

Beneteau's newest First series of cruiser/racers are designed for speed and performance, without compromising their French designer flair and creature comforts below decks. The First 40 undoubtedly delivers plenty of comfort in the saloon and accommodation below. But that is not at all why you'd buy a Beneteau First.

You buy it because it is fast- upwind, downwind, reaching, running--whether around the cans on weekend point-score racing, contesting regattas, or out at sea on long offshore races, this is a very swift 40-footer against all comers!

First aboard: sailing the new Beneteau First 40 | Offshore Yachting | Find Articles at BNET

And some movies:

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.