Old 03-21-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

When things go really wrong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

One of the most interesting guys on the next vendee Globe is Alessandro di Benedetto. He passed directly from a Miniclass racer to an Open 60. That's like going from a Kart to a F1.

Alessandro has completed recently a circumnavigation solo and nonstop with a mini class racer and not an easy one. He lost its mast at midway, jury rigged and without outside help finished the circumnavigation under jury rig as if it was a minor problem. A resourceful gay to say the least and a hell of a sailor.

Compare both boats and look at the happiness in his face just looking at his new big toy:

Old 03-21-2012

An on the other side of the world, at least for me, guys had a great time in an incredibly beautiful scenery on the “Bay regatta”, cruisers ad racers alike:

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2012

And on this race hecan see some very interesting boats that don't appear much if at all on these part of the world. Look at the Firefly 850 a One Design fast cat for coastal racing or weekend cruising, a Mark Pescott design:

Old 03-21-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road

My post is a bit of topic, but how about carbon fibre hull to act as a battery bank?

BBC News - BAE provides details of 'structural battery' technology
Old 03-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
My post is a bit of topic, but how about carbon fibre hull to act as a battery bank?

"The beauty of what we've got is that, when it's fully developed, a company will be able to go out and buy what is a standard carbon-composite material, lay out the shape, put it through the curing process and have a structural battery," ...

In order to achieve this BAE said it had "merged battery chemistries into composite materials".

"You take the nickel base chemistries and there are ways you can integrate that into the carbon fibre," . …

"The goal, and we are still working towards it, is to have a material that isn't significantly more expensive than carbon fiber,"
….
However, the power density of the batteries, the energy they can store for a given weight, is currently quite low - about a third that of a car battery….

"You need a battery chemistry that will last for many decades, you basically can't just take a wing off and throw it away as you would a mobile phone [battery]," Mr Penney said.

This is just awesome and I guess that the reporter did not understood the potential of the new technology….quite low? The guy is crazy they talk about 1/3 of the energy that can be stored for the same weight on a car battery, that is huge. If a hull of a 36ft boat is entirely made with this kind of composite it means we will have a 3 to 4 ton battery. That means the capacity of a wet lead battery of 1ton on a boat.

I want one of those, one boat that has a huge batery that can work for decades that weights nothing and that after fully charged will permit the use of an electric engine for days.

I guess that will solve the battery problem on electric engines for sailing boats.

Even compared with lithium batteries the hull of a 36ft boat will have the capacity of a huge battery, a 400kg lithium battery is a lot. And that is now; I bet they will manage to increase that efficiency at least for the double in the next years.

I guess that the solution for the autonomy for electric sailboats is found. What they really not found yet is that technology has an enormous potential on the boat industry.

Now they only need to create sails that work as solar panels to have a perfect set-up for a really efficient sail boat. The technology for that is not far.

Thanks for posting

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-21-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

With the hull as a battery I wouldn't give the underwater metal (prop, shaft, through hulls) a long life - a few weeks at most. And forget about a marina stay.
Old 03-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
With the hull as a battery I wouldn't give the underwater metal (prop, shaft, through hulls) a long life - a few weeks at most. And forget about a marina stay.
Maybe you are right but for guys that are dealing with so advanced technology I don't think that would be a problem. It would only be needed that the outside skin of the hull would be isolated. But I really don’t know enough about that technology or about the subject to speculate

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-22-2012

On the Volvo Ocean race bad luck for Sanya. When they were leading for the first time…they broke one of the rudders and on the hard conditions of the Southern ocean the Solo sailors of Groupama comes out with flying colors overtaking everybody and leading the race.

I mean the Groupama is not solo sailed but the among their crew there is a huge percentage of guys that have a huge experience of solo sailing and that means used to very though circumstances and capable to do anything in a boat from steering to navigation to regulate sails.

From the beginning I was very interested in seeing if the finer crew specialization on other boats would turn out to be an advantage against the superior polyvalence of Groupama crew. It seems that at the beginning that played against them but now that they become better, the polyvalence and superior individual global ability seems to turn things in their favor.

Great racing out there.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

They are heading for bad seas and big winds. I bet we will have great footage tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road

Anyone wants to spent next 30 min speechless? Go to Acciona Sailing's photo stream

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.