Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1252Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

First sailing pictures of the Hanse 415, first sailing tests, it is time to speack again about the Hanse 415. I have already said that my feelings are mixed in what regards this boat:

I like the hull, the keel, the rig and I hate the interior not because it is that bad but because with a really good interior this boat could be a hell of a boat. To be honest the interior is probably better than the Hanse 400 that this one comes to substitute and the Hanse 400 was a sales success not properly because of its interior but because of the way it sailed, its flexibility (epoxy hull as an option) and seaworthiness.

The guys from Yacht magazine say (after testing) that this one is a better boat and I believe them. Looking at the boat and to its specifications it looks also a better boat to me.

All new boats on this class are great boats, the new Oceanis 41, the Jeanneau 409 and now the Hanse 415.

Personally I like more the Jeanneau and the Hanse that seems to me more sportive than the Oceanis and with a superior possibility of upgrade through proposed options. Of course, those upgrades will turn a relatively inexpensive boat in a better but considerably more expensive boat

The Jeanneau is a lighter boat and probably slightly fast in light wind, at least with the performance option but i think that it will be an even mach with medium wind and with strong wind the Hanse will perform slightly better.

As Jeanneau advantages, besides the weight, the Jeanneau has a true traveler for the main and a big one for that matter.

The Hanse has the possibility of an epoxy hull as an option (stronger boat), and also the winch position that gives a much better flexibility. The jeanneau has only 2 winches on the cockpit and cannot mount more (and two over the cabin). The Hanse has 4 winces on the cockpit (and none over the cabin) and that permits a much more easy use on solo or short crew sailing. I don't know if they still do that, but Hanse allowed the dealers to install a traveler on the cockpit if the clients would prefer that solution (that implied no cockpit table).

If I was interested on a main stream inexpensive 40ft, I would surely test sail this two and would compare with attention the real price of the boat the way I wanted, discounts and so on.

To my taste Jeanneau has a better looking interior with a much better outside views through the port hulls and that is a big plus, but you never know before sailing both boats. I certainly would compare the feeling at the wheel and would see how much more easy is to maneuver with the 4 winches on the cockpit...and of course, that epoxy hull would be a temptation.

Hanse Yachts

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012

Uau!!! take a look at the baby Shipman:

Well baby is a way of saying but if we consider that the big boy has 120ft, this one with 57 is less than half the size.

It will be the smaller on the line of the Danish builder, as all the others will be made of carbon...and the image show what seems to be a big bank of solar cells.

Nice, the boat and the solar cells.
Old 03-22-2012

On the "Around the NZ race" an old Farr 11.7 is showing that in some conditions it is still a very fast boat. On upwind light conditions the Farr leaved behind all fast modern upwind boats and is not far from the leader, a Benetau 44.7 that is also a good upwind boat.

Round New Zealand Two Handed leg 4 - Powered by Yellowbrick Tracking
Old 03-23-2012

Jboats are the more European of all American sailboats, the only one that is made in Europe too and the American one that sell more here.

The have a new boat on the water, the J70, beautiful as usual. We have already talked about it when it was on the drawing board, let's talk a bit more:

They say about the boat:

The J/70 introduces a new dimension of fun, fast sailing in a stable, easy to own boat. A natural evolution of its J pedigree, the J/70's 22-foot long waterline with high aspect, all carbon rig and lifting keel provides spirited performance and stability that feels like a much larger boat. Knifing through the water upwind with confidence and ease, the J/70 has that legendary “J” feel - light, controllable with a wide-groove to sail consistently fast. With an adjustable backstay, one has total control over sail shape and dynamic rig tension across the full range of conditions, making it not only easy to change gears on the J/70, but faster and safer. Off the wind, J/70 will simply light-up the crew with a smile! Set the masthead asymmetrical spinnaker off the retractable carbon bowsprit, point the J/70 where you want with its high-aspect rudder and the J/70 pops up on a plane and takes off in moderate breeze.

Sailor Friendly

J/70 is all about making sailing inclusive, not exclusive. With its easily driven hull, large cockpit, and manageable three sail inventory, the J/70 is perfect for three adults, two couples, or four juniors. Sailing is about friends, it’s the joy of sharing the experience with others. When your family and friends can enjoy sailing in all weather, the return on investment will be high.

Trailerable - Easy Transport & Launching

In today’s crowded harbors, it’s not always possible or economical to own a permanent mooring, marina slip or rent space in a dry lot with crane. J/70 offers a practical solution. Launch at the local boat ramp, raise the lightweight all carbon rig, lower the keel, hoist the sails and off you go on a sailing adventure in less than 30 minutes. The only limitations are how far you want to drive and willingness to camp in the great outdoors. Trailerable behind a family minivan or SUV, you can go anywhere.

I bet that it will be a lot of fun to sail but at about twice the price of the new Bavaria I am afraid it will not sell much, at least in Europe. We will see! It would be interesting to compare the performance of both boats even if one is a centerboarder and the other a foil keeler. After all they target the same type of sailors.

Last edited by PCP; 03-23-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2012

First photos of the Bavaria Vision on the water: Nice

So finally Bavaria had contracted an outside interior good designer gabinet to make the interior. Jesus it took time!!!! and the improvements on design quality are obvious:

And the reality looks good:

And the interesting thing is that this boat was originally thought to live aboard extensively and not to have a lot of people for some short vacations.

You can see that the standard design has only a big head and a huge storage space and also lots of cabinets in the cabins. Of course, the boat can have two heads and two back cabins but it was not the primary design criteria:

Regarding what concerns the sailing "part" this boat has a nice hull, with less beam than the Jeanneau 45 (4.19 to 4.37) and a much bigger LWL (12.83 to 11.45).

Regarding ballast the ratio is about the same, 0,284 to the Jeanneau and 0.281 to the vision. the boats have the same type of bulbed keels but the Vision has more Draft ( 2.14 to 2.05) so in the end the result is about the same. The ballast ratio seems adequate for this size and type of boat.

But the main difference between the two boats is the weight that is significantly more on the Vision (12,300 to 10,400kg). This extra weight is compensated by a superior sail area (103m2 to 79,3m2) . In the end the Bavaria will be a faster boat with a bigger stability. The sail area displacement ratio is a lot bigger on the Vision: 19,66 to 16.84.

The Vision also have as option very high quality sail wardrobe.

I will watch out for the first sailing impressions on boat tests buy I bet this is a good sailboat with lots of stability, capable of a good average speed.

We can see that the running rigging is adapted to solo or short crew sailing, using the same solution we have saw on the Hanse 415, with 4 winches on the cockpit and in this case with an extra one on the cabin top.

We can also see that on options list besides the all omnipresent electric winches they offer bigger manual winches everywhere for all that really like to sail and push the boat.

I like this one. It seems one step further than the competition in what regards sailing, for this type of boats. We see if this first impression will be confirmed by the test sails.

I find it also a good looking boat, outside and inside and that is really a new thing, I mean a big Bavaria looking this good

Last edited by PCP; 03-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Certainly a vast improvement in appearance over the most recent Bavaria Cruiser series..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Nice. I like that new style of deck structure with the big cats eye portlights- good to see the "running shoe" look die out finally. I would be willing to give up a couple of feet of waterline to get some bow overhang though - I think it would vastly improve the boats looks.

The interiors are a bit IKEA for my taste but you sure can't argue with their space and effectiveness for living onboard. Wonder what leaded glass cabinet doors and carved wood would look like on one of those?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-23-2012

Hey guys, do you know what is the biggest difference between a Swedish regatta and an Italian one?

THE NOISE!!!!!

Seriously that was on the 2010 Giraglia that is probably the biggest race on the med at least in the number of participants. Only some months to the 60th edition:

The 60th Giraglia Rolex Cup is organized by the Yacht Club Italiano in collaboration with the Yacht Club de France, the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez and the Yacht Club Sanremo. The event is run under the supervision of the Federazione Italiana Vela, the Fédération Française de Voile.

The 2012 Giraglia Rolex Cup will be 60th anniversary of the event and the 16th edition to be sponsored by Rolex, which has been a partner of the event since 1997. The 60th Giraglia Rolex Cup comprises a serie of inshore races in the Gulf of Saint-Tropez, followed by a 241nm offshore race via La Giraglia islet, off Corsica, to Sanremo in Italy.

Some images from the last two editions:

Old 03-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I don't like the look of that seat hatch opening into the interior of the boat like that. It looks pretty vulnerable to water boarding from the stern - the lower lip is barely above the cockpit sole.

In a situation like that I'd want a proper hatch type entry into the "bosun's locker".

Or am I missing something?
axel likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-24-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

this is a nice craft
Image stolen from faster.....

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic