Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Paulo

We were out this weekend and saw for the first time a new First 45 in the flesh. Most impressive looking ride. I think this was a lower tech version, aluminum mast, wire rigging, but appeared to have the joystick system. Great looking boat, though.. I think the proportions really come into sync at this length.

Only thing was the cockpit layout was such that the driver is pretty well out of the trim picture.. but I suppose this boat is meant to be properly crewed up.
Yes, I agree with you, the First 45 is beautiful and contrary to the 40 it has the potential to be a great cruising boat. I also like the interior. Many would say it is too modern, but it is not certainly IKEA style and I find it classy. I think modernity goes well with the rest of the boat

Beneteau-first-45

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012

Interesting news about one of the most interesting fast 30 ft performance cruiser, The South African Pacer 310: It is going to be made also in Spain and its price is going down probably.

A sweet boat with a very good B/D ratio, a powerful and very fast, a nice one with an interior that without being very cozy has everything needed for cruising...when not racing

Old 03-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes, I agree with you, the First 45 is beautiful and contrary to the 40 it has the potential to be a great cruising boat. I also like the interior. Many would say it is too modern, but it is not certainly IKEA style and I find it classy. I think modernity goes well with the rest of the boat

Beneteau-first-45

Regards

Paulo
Thanks for that link/view... we didn't get a look below, but saw plenty to drool over on deck!
axel likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-27-2012

Uau!!!!! don't miss this one, From NZ, some days ago on the BMW Auckland regatta:

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2012

Incredible!!!!! The 2012 Atlantic Rally Crossing (ARC) that will start only in 8 months is already full. They have opened an waiting list and hopefully they will increase the number of participants.

The accepted inscriptions are 260:

23 catamarans and 42 boats in the racing divisions. The smallest boat to date is Wolfgang Vandrey's Contest 28 Quetzal (GER) ...

ARC 2012 boats are sailing under
33 different national flags - a real united nations of sail! ..

30% of the fleet are flying the British ensign and 12% are German. Its great to see big fleets from Norway, Italy, USA, Australia, Netherlands, Sweden and France. ..

There is always an award for the oldest boat sailing in the ARC, and it looks like a tie-breaker for 2012. Both Peter von Seestermuhe (GER), owned by long-term ARC-supporter Christoph von Reibnitz and Peter Brownsell's Peregrin (GBR) were built in 1936. ..

If you want to join the wait list, you will need to pay the boat entry fee in full. We can't guarantee you a place, but will give a full refund if we can't get you into ARC2012.

News articles from World Cruising Club: ARC

Event Information for World Cruising Club: ARC

Last year's Rally:

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Uau!!!!! don't miss this one, From NZ, some days ago on the BMW Auckland regatta:

The footage of the Vodaphone trimaran flying TWO hulls was spectacular - talk about sailing on the edge of disaster!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-27-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Never realized it was so easy to reef one of those . Just fold in the middle.
Old 03-27-2012

Telefonica is out of the race too. It has to do a pit stop in Ushuaia to repair bow damage:

Telefónica announced several days ago that they were slowing down to prevent further damage and skipper Iker Martínez confirmed on Tuesday that delamination to the bow, sustained when a huge wave crashed down on them last week, would make a stop necessary before the finish line in Itajaí in Brazil.

“As you can see, we've got no problems in terms of continuing to sail, but if we continue to violently crash against the waves like this the damage could worsen and we want to rule out the possibility of that happening," said Martínez, who is determined to go on and complete the leg.

“What we've done so far is to fix some battens to the deck at the bow to reinforce the section where the delamination has occurred, which is therefore weaker. The issue we've got is that nothing dries and so we've had to repeat the exercise a few times.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Telefónica to make pit stop in Ushuaia

Groupama and Puma, the only survivors, are still going South, flat out in a mad race against each other. Will their boats hold out?

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 03-28-2012

As I have said before YachtingWorld Magazine is posting some videos explaining advanced sailing techniques. I find the movies very clear. I have already posted the first one but I will post it again with the other two, to be all together.

enjoy:

Chinese gybe:

http://bcove.me/gve5lcp8

Broaching:

http://bcove.me/okcuvsw5

Gybing:

http://bcove.me/a3nnxjn5

Last edited by PCP; 03-28-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2012

Probably the small cruising cat I like more is the Edel. Funny that I never talked about them here. They are presenting new models, the 33 and the 42 but I think it is really an update of the previous models (the 42 was know as Helios 42).

These are not pregnant or fat cats but fast cats with small windage and a very good cruising interior.

I love then so much that if the Med marinas were not so expensive and I wanted only a boat for coastal cruising with some offshore medium passages I would have seriously considered the Edel 33.

I am not saying that the 33ft is not Ocean going capable and I am sure many have crossed the pond but everybody has their concept and limits regarding what they consider their threshold in what regards bluewater sailing and I would accept that with a 38ft cat and be really confortable with the 42.

But the one that has a price similar to a 40ft boat is the 33ft, not the 42 and it is always like that with cats: they are a lot more expensive than similar sized monos and even if they have more space for size, the same cannot be said in what regards seaworthiness, or at least, it is my opinion.

Back to the 33ft:

Don't miss the 33 slide show here. The boat has a really nice interior:

slideshow E33

And regarding the 42 what can we say except that it is a beautiful boat. The first foto was taken by me in a Galiza marina, some years ago, because the boat looked just right, a perfect cruiser.

This is the old model, the Helios 42:

Take a look at this interesting test sail where several 42 cats are compared with an Oceanis 50. What is the only one that can do better than the Oceanis upwind? The Helios 42, off course

http://www.edelcatamarans.com/gamme/...xavril2010.pdf

This is the new Helios 42 cruiser, a remake of Helios:
slideshow h42 essential

They say that the boat is made not to be expensive, back to the essentials they say.

But the real new one the one that makes me say UAU!!! is this one, the new Electric version of the 42. I guess they have preferred to maintain the more traditional old 42 for the more conservative ones and for the ones that like really modern things, they propose the new 42, electrical and all

Take a good look:

http://www.edelcatamarans.com/gamme/...esentation.pdf

slideshow E42

Last edited by PCP; 03-28-2012 at 01:01 PM.