Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo

Two questions on those A40 boats for sale. (understand that Im relatively new to sailing) First of all they are beautiful boats and would fit the need of 99% of those who race around the cans and regattas. Inside they are beautiful too.

Do you think that these boats are at a good discount because they are not as fast as the new boats like you say or is it because theyve been raced hard?

Second, wouldnt a fast boat like the A27 be racing under ratings? I have read that some boats are too penalized for racing that they would require high levels of sailing to win.
Old 04-01-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
Paulo

Two questions on those A40 boats for sale. (understand that Im relatively new to sailing) First of all they are beautiful boats and would fit the need of 99% of those who race around the cans and regattas. Inside they are beautiful too.

Do you think that these boats are at a good discount because they are not as fast as the new boats like you say or is it because theyve been raced hard?

Second, wouldnt a fast boat like the A27 be racing under ratings? I have read that some boats are too penalized for racing that they would require high levels of sailing to win.
If you really want to win on handicap on club racing probably you should look for some easy old boat with a low rating, I don't know. Personally I would not give a dam about that and would be interested in finishing first in real time among boats of that size and in middle of much bigger boats and it seems that start's to be a tendency.

Besides this boat will teach you how to sail, I mean in a boat like this all trims count and this boat has an huge trimming possibility.

Regarding the boat to be worm out after racing I guess each case is a case but I can give you a generic opinion about what I have saw in the search of my cruising boat even if I never saw an used A40. Never saw one because that boat in what regards the interior is more naked than what I wanted. Like the Pogo it only has a door on the head and the galley is small for living aboard for a long time, I mean, at least with my wife that likes to cook (and I don't mind about that). That would be the kind of boat that I would have if I lived alone and sailed solo or with some friends.

Regarding boats used almost exclusively for racing I saw one J 133 from 2004, two Dufour 40 performance from 2007 and an 2007 Comet 41s Racing. These were boats with only one owner and used for serious racing and no cruising.

All shared some characteristics, the rigging and the running rigging, the winches all was very good and on top conditions, in some cases with many upgrades from a regular boat, like 3 speed manual winches and other stuff.

Almost all boats had the standard set of sails as new and some had an huge sail inventory with very expensive sails in very good condition.

The interior even if clearly not used for cruising (on more than one boat the stove had never been used) showed signs of racing use, I mean steps wear, little marks a bit everywhere, nothing big but things that my wife would not have accepted.

I guess we can divide this type of boats in two categories in what regards use: The ones that were seriously raced by a top team and the ones that are older and have already known several owners.

The first ones will be probably in tip top conditions: You don't imagine the money these guys give for winning big time. Nothing is spared to make the boat faster so everything should and is normally perfect. To give you an Idea of the money these guys spend, some years ago when I saw that J133, I tried to lower the price and the dealer said that he was sure the owner would not accept because the sail inventory had a value almost as big as the boat itself

The second ones were like that once before being bought by budget sailors that wanted a boat for club racing and the chances is that when they sell them they will not be in perfect conditions and will need some money spent in sails, and in rigging.

I believe the first ones are the ones that is worth to look for. The money you are paying for them is probably 1/3 of the money the boat and sails had costed them five or seven years ago and you can bet the sails only are one or two years old and that the running rigging was already replaced and is probably 3 years old, or less.

If you don't have a wife pointing to all that small interior imperfections, it is the best deal you can have for a fast cruising boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2012

So let's look at another type of boat one that will never grow old because it looks already old, old but beautiful in a classical way.

Among them I believe we did not talk yet about the Rustler 33 a fast and classical boat (with a modern rudder and keel) that would make proud any owner. A great way to daysail or weekend cruise a boat that would give a lot of pleasure to own and sail, a beautiful object by itself, one to keep.

http://www.rustleryachts.com/resourc...20Brochure.pdf

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2012

On the VOR, for the first time Puma has the lead over Groupama.

They have weak wind now but that is going to finish and they will get a depression that will lead them almost to the finish line and then another one will come and they will finish power sailing style.

No tactical big play till the finish line, only good sailing and the best to win. I guess these two deserved already to win. It is going to be exciting till the end!!!

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

On Groupama the 1st of April lye: They say that they are taking a rest and that from now one only a guy will be on deck while the others are below sleeping after all they are almost all solo sailors

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
So let's look at another type of boat one that will never grow old because it looks already old, old but beautiful in a classical way.

Among them I believe we did not talk yet about the Rustler 33 a fast and classical boat (with a modern rudder and keel) that would make proud any owner. A great way to daysail or weekend cruise a boat that would give a lot of pleasure to own and sail, a beautiful object by itself, one to keep.

http://www.rustleryachts.com/resourc...20Brochure.pdf...
Oooooohhhhhh! Gorgeous. I could definitely see that as a "last" boat. Funny thing though, to me, boats without pulpits and lifelines have an unfinished look about them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-01-2012

And just for fun, two more movies on the incredible cathegory. Maybe you have saw them, maybe not

Last edited by PCP; 04-01-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
And just for fun, two more movies on the incredible cathegory. Maybe you have saw them, maybe not

They deserved it - totally their own fault. You'd have to be a fool to get anywhere NEAR that situation, Cowes or not.

Maybe it has something to do with the colour of their spinnaker, like the submarining in my old avatar..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-02-2012

Vor70: I was wrong, Groupama and Puma could not keep up with the depressions speed and have a wind hole ahead. Big tactical decisions have to be made. They can go near the coast or they can go East. It will be interesting to see if they are going together trying to decide the race om speed or if they will diverge on the tactical decisions. The boats are sailing almost together.

Meanwhile Telefonica that had stopped for repairs on the East coast of Chile has made an incredible come back to the race going for 24 hours at double speed regarding leading boats. They are much nearer the coast and in a much better position regarding wind and forecast. They are going to continue to win big time on the leading boats. A masters stroke. Well played for the Spanish.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

This leg is so much more interesting than the others HOT is the word.
Old 04-02-2012

Offshore solo racing was for many years completely dominated by French.
For some years now, some racers from other countries are racing with them but the they are still the masters.

However from some years that leadership starts to be contested, first on the minis among others by the Portuguese Lobato and now on the 40class: It seems that on "La Solidaire du Chocolat", a duo transat the victory is not going to escape to Jorg Riechers and the Germans are jumping with happiness. I guess this is going to boost Riechers sailing carrier. He was one of the sailors that defied the french domination on the minis, now on the 40 class and who will know, maybe soon on the Open 60.

Well to be true, the skipper is German but his mate, Lepesqueux is French

La Solidaire Du Chocolat

These are the guys that are in 4th place in a group of 3 that are fighting for the 2th place.

Solo racing need to raise the enthusiasm it raises in France all over the world. This solo or short crew races are the best vehicle to develop sailing boats and sailing technology to be applied in cruising boats, boats that are also sailed solo or with reduced crew. It is also the kind of sail that needs the smaller budget in what regards professional sailors.

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2012

Some interesting movies of Pogos sailing with bad weather:

This one is a 10.50 om the North Sea on an Atlantic crossing:

And this one is a 12.50 in a "Fare Vela" test sail:

And this 12.50 in Greece in not particularly bad weather but going fast

Last edited by PCP; 04-02-2012 at 03:04 PM.