Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post

Between l’Aber Wrach (North Brittany) and Cowes we kept all the sail (full main + solent) up in 25 knts on a broad reach. With nice, long, 3m high waves and gusts up to 35 knts the average speed was around 14 knts with some wonderful long and thrilling surfs up to 21 knts, without ever feeling out of control.

I wouldn’t really dare to sail it with the keel up, not because of stability but because this makes the boat behave like a lightweight long-keeler. This is indeed a very unnatural and inefficient configuration, as we experienced when manoeuvring in windy conditions. Long live the bow thruster!

Eric, on the first sail 21K I needed 4 years to sail the Bavaria 36 at 11K

Where are the photos?

A double congratulation to you and many of those hours of sailing pleasure with your boat.

Regarding sailing the boat with the keel up, I am sure I am right and I mean just bringing the boat to the marina or passing shallow waters. You can do it safely with light winds or with the boat reefed. No need to turn the engine on.

Think: even with the keel up the boat will come back for 90º of heel. You that are used to sail a dinghy will not be able to let go the sails if the boat heels more than 45º?

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2012

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Eric, on the first sail 21K I needed 4 years to sail the Bavaria 36 at 11K

Where are the photos?

A double congratulation to you and many of those hours of sailing pleasure with your boat.

Regarding sailing the boat with the keel up, I am sure I am right and I mean just bringing the boat to the marina or passing shallow waters. You can do it safely with light winds or with the boat reefed. No need to turn the engine on.

Think: even with the keel up the boat will come back for 90º of heel. You that are used to sail a dinghy will not be able to let go the sails if the boat heels more than 45º?

Regards

Paulo
It was a lot of fun indeed, Paulo. Many thanks for your kind wishes, I hope we will once be able to welcome you on board .

I will post some pictures as soon as I have sorted them out and may be even some video, if I ever succeed to edit the footage in a decent way .

I'm very confident about the stability even with the keel up, especially after seeing the curves. But I only think we would then need some room in order to to avoid unwanted speering with the bowsprit .

Best regards,

Eric
Old 04-20-2012

Ker 37

and while waiting for Eric's movies and sice we were talking about Ker designed boats (Sydney 37 and 43) let's have a look at a Ker 37:

Old 04-20-2012

Remember this boat:

That's the Fox 10.20 from Adrien and Capucine, the freshly married couple that was making a circumnavigation in a small light boat. Adrien had posted here after crossing the Atlantic at almost race speed but after that... nada.

They did not actualize their site so I guessed that they had abandoned the project. Well it seems that is nothing like that but that they have had something better to do than posting on internet.

I say that because I just saw a photo of Groupama when he was in Auckland and guess what was the boat that was sailing behind? Yes, Capado, Adrien’s boat. That photo was almost taken a month ago so, I guess they are coming home right now, half a voyage already completed.
Old 04-21-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

Do you know the meaning of "Capado" in Spanish? Is not a good name for sure.
Old 04-21-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
It was a lot of fun indeed, Paulo. Many thanks for your kind wishes, I hope we will once be able to welcome you on board .

I will post some pictures as soon as I have sorted them out and may be even some video, if I ever succeed to edit the footage in a decent way .

I'm very confident about the stability even with the keel up, especially after seeing the curves. But I only think we would then need some room in order to to avoid unwanted speering with the bowsprit .

Best regards,

Eric
Eric,

For sure I want to see your pics!
Old 04-21-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I do.
Old 04-21-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
They did not actualize their site so I guessed that they had abandoned the project. Well it seems that is nothing like that but that they have had something better to do than posting on internet.
Here is their updated blog in french Le Voyage de Capado Google Translate does a nice job
Also voyage images https://picasaweb.google.com/103071640564331984300

Last edited by G1000; 04-21-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Do you know the meaning of "Capado" in Spanish? Is not a good name for sure.
I know, it is the same in Portuguese. That makes that name rather odd to 700 million people. I already explained that to Adrien. Off course he didn't know

As you probably know it is only in writing because phonetically the sounds are different. The French will say "Capadó".

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Here is their updated blog in french Le Voyage de Capado Google Translate does a nice job
Also voyage images https://picasaweb.google.com/103071640564331984300

Thanks G.

The link to Picasa does not work at least for me but their site is great. I wonder why they didn't continue their older site?

They have also great movies. I will have a look and I will post the best. For now this two. One that shows the boat and one of the more recent ones : sailing between NZ and Australia.

For the ones that don't saw the first posts about the Fox 10.20: That keel can go up and give the boat a smaller draft.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-21-2012 at 08:01 AM.