LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post

HMS Pickle:

HMS Pickle (1800) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The boat was originally named Sting, and "built in 1799 in Bermuda, where this type of vessel was known as a Bermuda sloop" -- the race was won by her upwind capability as "a schooner spurned by the Royal Navy," which was "set in traditional ways." (Not like our times )

300 years separated the Bermuda sloop from a Caravel so no doubt it was a faster and better boat, specially downwind.

Funny thing is that the Pickle was mainly used as a tender

"She was originally a civilian vessel named Sting, of six guns, that Lord Hugh Seymour purchased to use as a tender on the Jamaica Station".

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2012

Regarding modern times probably nobody has contributed so much for the development of the modern yacht as Eric Tabarly.

His ideas that were then put in practice by some of the best Na around gave boats, all named after the family boat Pen Duick, that won almost everything in what regards Ocean Races in the 60's and 70's and that pioneer the shapes of the next decade modern yachts.

Well maybe we can put at the same level Jean-Marie Finot (the one that designed the two boats that I have suggested to you) in what regards the design evolution from 1975 to the end of the last century but that is another story.

Regarding Tabarly, three movies, two very interesting under the perspective of the evolution of sail boat and rig design, showing all of his boats and a last one that shows its last boat. The ideas that were underlying on that boat were developed by its friend Alain Thebault after his death and gave today's fastest offshore boat, the Hydroptere.

Pen Duick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2012

Vor 70:

Puma has made a great start and sailed away leading...and a day later keeps its lead. It seems those guys are decided to win home in Miami. Too soon to tell, boats are still very close and there are 4500Nm to make.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

Ir seems to me that Telefonica is already on the best position for the next days. I will not be surprised if tomorrow they were leading.

Old 04-23-2012

Transat Ag2r

On the last night they got 45K winds. Biscay golf was up to its reputation

On those small light 35ft boats they endured the bad weather and none stop racing. Great little boats the Figaro II, and of course, great sailors out there.

I can't wait for the images

Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2012

and while we wait some great images from other edition of this race:

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2012

Marsvinet is on a distinguished road
Re: Salona 38 - Solaris 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi!

On the solaris site they give 2400kg.

http://www.solarisyachts.com/reposit...eb_SONE_37.pdf

Assuming that they are not wrong on the richardbaldwinyachts, that would be the difference between the ballasts for 2.40 and 2.10m draft.

On the Salona 2270kg is the ballast for the 2.00m draft and 2000kg the one for 2.25m draft. There is a difference of about 400kg on ballast but even considering the difference in ballast the Salona hull is bigger and 200kg lighter.

The difference in ballast is a design option. If you compare the Salona with the French boats you will find that he has much more ballast than those boats (ballast ratio). For normal sailing conditions a more moderated ballast ratio has advantages to sail in light and medium wind (lighter boat), however for offshore work in bad weather it is better a boat with a high ratio of ballast, a heavier boat.

I don't race so I prefer a slightly worse boat on weak and medium winds and a slightly better boat on strong winds and that's why on the Salona 38 I was near to buy I was having a keel like the one on the picture and about more 300kg on a 2.25m keel. Their internal keel structure has no problem in absorbing and distributing the extra weight. There are guys (cruisers) that have put even more weight (on the previous 37).

Regards

Paulo
Another thing i notice is that Solaris gives the Displacement 6900kg vs 7100 for richardbaldwinyacht...
Old 04-23-2012

Re: Salona 38 - Solaris 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsvinet View Post
Another thing i notice is that Solaris gives the Displacement 6900kg vs 7100 for richardbaldwinyacht...
It is possible that the boat with the shorter keel and more ballast (2700kg) weights 7100kg and with the deep draft and less ballast (2400kg) weights 6900kg, but of course, the maths are wrong: we have a 200kg difference when the difference in ballast is 300kg.

If you are interested in the boat you have to ask them because they are not clear in what regards weights of the boat in the two keel configuration neither in what regards building materials. I don't know if they have an epoxy option and that will make the boat some hundreds of kg lighter.

Anyway the boat seems to me a bit less sportive than the Salona but as a cruiser it is still a very fast cruiser, a very seaworthy boat, a gorgeous design by Soto Acerbal and a boat that would make proud any owner, as I have said a truly great sailboat...for the ones that can afford it. A prestige boat, a kind of more sportive Halber-Rassy. The price of this one should not be far from the price of the Halberg-Rassy 372.

Solaris by Serigi

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2012

Marsvinet is on a distinguished road

could not agree more and will of course contact them as soon as i have the money
Old 04-23-2012

Transat AG2R

Here are those images with heavy weather. Pity we cannot see how they had coped with the really bad weather. On these images the wind is about 20/25K. On the previous night it blow 35/45K

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

Two days working to refloat a J/35 that sunk in the stupid way! Tomorrow I will finish. Very tired.

Sorry for the off topic.
Old 04-24-2012

Benetau Figaro II

and while we wait for more great images of the Ag2r Transat, some nice images of Thomas Ruyant sailing a Benetau Figaro II. A great boat that shoulf be at the end of its life as a solo racer. Soon many will be found cheaply for sale and this is a great offshore boat that can easily be modified for cruising.

Believe it or not the top guns that sail these animals are complaining that the boat is not powerful enough. I guess that today it is possible to do better. This is a great design but already with some years on it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.