Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Rodger Martin - Presto 30

I am surprised that no one has found this one very interesting and deserving a comment.

Well, after reading a detailed report about the boat I was even more impressed.

Pity this one is not an European boat. I believe that it would be a success on the tidal waters of Britain, Normandy and Brittany.

This boat was designed by Rodger Martin , for himself, as his ideal cruising boat, and believe me, this is a very smart design and a very careful one. Take another look again.

Rodger Martin Yacht Design

Here, on the words of Rodger Martin, some details on the Presto 30 (I don’t have a link, but believe me, there is a lot more of very interesting stuff on this article and on this design).

“In all the years I have been designing boats, and despite many attempts, I have not been able to complete the design of a boat to myself…..

My wife and I, both having crossed the Atlantic and sailed a lot on a variety of boats, see the ideal cruising boat as one that we can spend a month or two in interesting cruising grounds…but we keep coming back to the Bahamas as an ideal cruising ground.

So we need a boat that can sail safely and well in swallow water and be put on a beach, and we like to go fast between anchorages. This calls for a sharpie of some sort or a multihull.

A sharpie of 30ft or so is easily trailered without compromise, so you can avoid boat yards and you can maintain it yourself at home, if you want to. So this is the choice we made….

Maine builders, Ryder boats … known… for building hulls, decks and parts for such companies as Hincley yachts, Morris Yachts and Lyman Morse Boatbuilders, has turned this design into a simple, well put together, affordable boat….

The Presto 30 has a limit of positive stability of 145ş!....With actual capsize tests done…it is very hard to capsize and hold these boats down!”

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2010

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
PCP, I have been checking out the reviews of that one, and it does look like a pretty neat, simple boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 10-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
PCP—

Part of the issue is that what Rodger sees as his perfect boat may not be as well suited for other people's needs. For instance, that boat has a pretty small cabin with low headroom...which may not appeal to many other boaters. I doubt there is standing headroom in that boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-06-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Certainly such a boat will appeal to those with the same requirements/priorities and it looks cleanly executed.

I think headroom, centerboard trunk interference, "unconventional" rig (no matter how practical) will all conspire to limit this boat's market appeal.

Btw, Paulo, this is a great thread, thanks for keeping it going...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-06-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Presto 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
PCP—

Part of the issue is that what Rodger sees as his perfect boat may not be as well suited for other people's needs. For instance, that boat has a pretty small cabin with low headroom...which may not appeal to many other boaters. I doubt there is standing headroom in that boat.
Yes, of course, you are right. But what makes this boat out of ordinary is its somewhat wild and radical character. Look at this stability curve:

ryderboats.com

Look at the unexpected polar speed (for a center boarder):

ryderboats.com

You can even race this boat and beat most of same sized keel boats.

Of course you are right about the standing height, at least for big guys:

But I believe that (like me) he would prefer to bend (or sit) than having an ugly boat with a big freeboard. Thats a choice of compromises.

This is not a boat for the conventional sailor, its a boat for the adventurous and sportive sailor, kind of luxury camper, a boat for living on the outside and sleep inside. Kind of a motorcycle, if the more typical cruisers compare to cars.

It is for all this that I like it. Guess that my tastes are not faraway from the ones from Rodger Martin. If you look at his Portfolio you will see that he has made mostly fast cruiser racers and racing boats. My kind of sailor, my kind of cruiser and I know that as cruisers we are not mainstream, so ...you are absolutely right, this is not an ordinary boat, not a mainstream one and that's what makes it interesting.

ryderboats.com

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
...wombat scrambles to catch up yet again...

hey Paulo, I'm with you. Plain simple easy to handle, inexpensive to maintain. Quite frankly that's an appealing recipe.

I admit that my old farts spine would find the headroom a problem but if I was young bloke looking to get out and have some fun then this would be a great way to do it.

The concept of cruising as camping is not without attraction.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-06-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Look at this stability curve:

http://www.ryderboats.com/Files/Pres...Curves%202.pdf
Paulo
Paulo, how do they perform the stability test? Since I don't know, I don't know how to interpret the curve. Does the boat get completely turtled hence 180 degree on the x-axis?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-06-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I kind of fell rather lonely sometime , so this request is for all of you that follow this thread: Please post your comments, negative or positive, they are very welcomed.

Regards

Paulo
I enjoy this thread very much although I have not had a chance to read from the beginning to the end yet.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-06-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Favourite Thread

Guys,

This is my favourite thread on sailnet although I must admit i feel like a bit of a parasite.
I enjoy the fact that guys like Paulo have the opportunity to go out and explore whats in the market place that is slightly different.
I appreciate the efforts such as the wombat who provide feedback and discussions on pro's and cons of design etc.
Unfortunately many of us lack the experience to provide meaningful comments and are primarily to learn.
I am more than happy to provide a laymans critique of designs such as the Presto if other feels that it would contribute.

Thanks to all the guys who have opinions.

Regards

Kenif
Old 10-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenif View Post
Guys,

This is my favourite thread on sailnet although I must admit i feel like a bit of a parasite.
I enjoy the fact that guys like Paulo have the opportunity to go out and explore whats in the market place that is slightly different.
I appreciate the efforts such as the wombat who provide feedback and discussions on pro's and cons of design etc.
Unfortunately many of us lack the experience to provide meaningful comments and are primarily to learn.
I am more than happy to provide a laymans critique of designs such as the Presto if other feels that it would contribute.

Thanks to all the guys who have opinions.

Regards

Kenif
Kenif,
The great thing about threads like this is that we have guys like Paulo and Marty who really know their stuff and are prepared to spend a lot of time digging up the info and posting it.
Then you have someone like me who may not know much about boats but likes what he knows.
If you see something you like, jump in and say so. If you think CruisingDad is a complete dill , let the world know. You'll feel better for it.
Seriously, even those of us who don't have much idea on the technical aspects of boats can still have opinions on layout, rig type and interior design.
So don't be shy, jump right in. No one will be concerned if you make a fool of yourself.....the Wombat and SmackDaddy are well ahead of you...
Cheers
td

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.