motorcat is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

TNT 34 Baltic Sail Trials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Tnt 34

http://www.tnt34.com/gallery/video_gallery/1/4/

Nice. As all really fast boats it does not appear to go fast....till you look at the wake or at the motorboat

It appears the wind is not strong but I cannot make a reading on those instruments. What was the wind force on that test sail?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2012

JPK 38 - new boat

And what a boat. I want one

The boat looks a lot better than in the drawings with very fine entries more rocker than you would expect on a downwind boat. I has one of those hulls that you look at it and say uau!!! that has to work, upwind and downwind. Even the considerable beam is not evident when you look the hull up in the air.

I really have the best impression about JPK, a former solo racer than many years ago started to make boats, first its own, then for friends and later as a boat builder. I bet this boat is going to increase the size of its shipyard that builds more for racers than for cruisers. I guess this are going to change.

The boat is very light (5000kg) it has a big ballast for that kind of hi-tech keel with a big draft (2.70m). That and the hull shape will make a boat with a huge stability, directional and in what regards RM. An easy and fast boat for solo or short crew sailing. A boat that would be a pleasure to cruise having fun while sailing. The boat has a version with a swing keel: a big draft that will be reduced to 1.30m for anchoring.

I have not seen yet the interior work but JPK makes very good solid interiors with an agreeable cozy feeling. I hope this one will not be an exception.

Guys, I am really impressed. This one will come straight to the short list of my favorite boats and contrary to the Xp 38 this one is "almost" affordable. I guess it will cost 20 or 30 000€ more than a Salona 38.

Last edited by PCP; 05-01-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2012

nemier is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paulo!
I now have a new favourite
It's everything I want out of a mono. (size, hull shape, interior arrangement, performance potential, etc)
Old 05-02-2012

Sailing and living: the last boat

Old 05-02-2012

500Nm in 24 hours, a record for short crew sailing.

and some great images of a two year old unbeaten sailing record for a two men crew. On an Open 60 off course

edit: After all it is not the record anymore. It was beaten last year by Virbac Paprec another Open 60 with Jean Pierre Dick/Loick Peyron as Crew: distance: 506.333 nm; average speed: 21.1 kts in the Barcelona World Race 2010-11

Last edited by PCP; 05-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2012

Classic boats

Gorgeous little racer, built in in 1937 in Norway- belonging to the class called International One Design (IOD).

Old 05-03-2012

motorcat is on a distinguished road

4-5 min required to unfolding from marina to sail position

mast up and ready to sail - mast up and ready to sail - YouTube
Old 05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcat View Post
4-5 min required to unfolding from marina to sail position...
Nice concept but you have to review the way the platform between the amas and the main hull folds. That way it stays on the water and it is going to be dirty in now time. Just a detail and not a difficult one to solve.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-03-2012

2003 Bavaria 36

Ok, this thread is about recent boats but I have made some recommendations about older but not too old boat but never said anything about my old boat. I was lucky with it. No warranty claims and one of the reason I took so long to find the kind of boats I wanted from my next boat was because I wanted a fast boat with a sensitive wheel and it was difficult to find the adequate type, I mean considerably better than the old Bavaria.

Not all Bavaria models are like that. That one has an interesting story. The dealer from Mallorca, that is pretty much a family more some friends (and also on of the biggest sellers from Bavaria with hundreds of boats each year) used to make the royal regattas in Palma and were a bit pissed up with the results. They asked Bavaria for a faster boat (that was before the Match series) and the cruiser that come for that was the Bavaria 36 (a 2003 model but up on the water since 2002). If you compare the 36 with the previous boat, a 37, it is more narrow, more elegant, a lot less heavier and much faster.

Now that the boat is really inexpensive I have seen the boat racing, cruising offshore and circumnavigating. I have seen it on the Transquadra, on the Caribbean 1500 and on the BVI regatta. BVI spring regatta is not as serious as the Transquadra, just a way of cruisers to have a bit of fun racing mostly in charted boats. An interesting idea and certainly great fun:

One of the boats you can charter there for the race is a Bavaria 36 and it is also one of the most inexpensive. Look at its results on the last year's :
edition:

Durley Dene, a Bavaria 36 in the Horizon Yacht Charters fleet in the BVI, won its class with five wins in the 40th anniversary BVI Spring Regatta which took place April 1 - 3. Durley Dene, crewed by staff, family and friends of Horizon Yacht Charters and the smallest yacht in her class, won each race by minutes not seconds, beating other yachts up to seven feet larger.

Sailing in big seas and winds for the first two days of racing, Durley Dene performed so strongly that on corrected time she would have won three races in Bareboat A with yachts in the 47 to 55 foot range including Beneteau 50.5s, Sunsail Jeanneau 53s and Moorings 54.5s.

Durley Dene is no stranger to victory having racked up 19 victories in 20 races spread over this BVI Spring Regatta and three Antigua Sailing Weeks in 2004 and 2005 and 2006; a second place in one race during the 2005 Antigua Sailing Week marred the almost perfect score, when she was becalmed. This was Durley Deneís first regatta outing since 2006 and she has been working hard in the Horizon charter fleet since then.

Bavaria 36 -- Perfect five at 2011 BVI Spring Regatta

I know that it is handicap racing but anyway, it is fun to win and even if the boat is not as fast as a First 36.7 an Elan or Salona 37, it is a remarkably fast boat for its time and faster than many bigger cruising boats, especially with light winds and not only. The first time I notice that was when I saw that I could beat, solo sailing with 10K wind a Beneteau 39 with full crew, upwind and pointing higher and that is quite amazing since the Bavaria come with a big 150% Genoa, hot the best sail for pointing ability. On one of the few races I had done with it, with light winds I managed to beat a Dufour 40 performance, with my 10 year's old soon doing the steering while I was keeping the sails in shape (the Dufour was a a bit faster upwind but downwind I recovered more than what I had lost upwind).

So if you don't have much money want a boat with a great storage space and a good performer you could do worst than buying a Bavaria 36 of that vintage.

Pay attention because not all boats are the same, go for the one with 1.9m draft lead keel and for the classical mast that has a lot more sail that the furling one.

The boat was a big success and many hundreds of boats were made so it is not difficult to find them at a good price. You can find them from 60 000 USD.

Now you cannot say that I never talked on this thread about really inexpensive boats

Last edited by PCP; 05-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.