Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vor

And Puma wins back all the miles that Camper had won previously

Jesus those guys should be nervous, Puma is making 4k, Camper 3K and the fastest on the fleet is Groupama doing 7k but on the wrong direction. This is going to be a hard night for all of them.

Groupama is making the best performance and as I have said, in my opinion, it chose the best option, but it seems that the 68Nm will be impossible to recover in 420Nm, but who knows, if they keep making 7K while the others ate making 4K....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012

Vor

Slow, slow motion racing... bad for the nerves

Puma average speed 1.8K, Camper av. speed 2.6, Groupama av. speed 5.2, Telefonica 4.2, Abu Dhabi 4.1.

Puma and Camper maintain the same distance while Groupama has won more 10Nm. Now it only needs to won more 58 on 410Nm

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 05-07-2012

First 40

Great video with Paca, the First 40 that won its division on the 2010 Sydney-Hobarth edition.

Old 05-08-2012

Vor70

Yes I bet that they had a terrible night and that they would have prefered to be bouncing around at 25k than to be sleep in a dead calm with a 3 or 4K wind, at least Puma that can’t wait to arrive to Miami. Puma have managed to maintain positions through the night but not been able to pull away and only Groupama won some miles on them, but not as many as before.

Still a dangerous game. With these conditions and with Island on the way anything can happen with 320Nm to go and only 11Nm between the two leading boats.

Pity that they have all to turn a buoy on Eleuthera Island and therefore have to converge there. It would be a lot more interesting if they had a free play to Miami. However it is going to be interesting to see if Groupama is going to pass Cat island to the west or to the East, as the two leading boats. It seems to be more wind West but I am not sure if the wind direction would compensate that move.

Old 05-08-2012

Classic boats

And while we wait for more developments some nice images of a regatta on these same waters, 70 years ago. Some differences in the boats

Old 05-08-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

The one that will be leading in 12 hours will win the race, providing it has some advantage. On the next 12 hours the very weak winds will continue and after that they will have a good wind to Miami.

Meanwhile Puma is not only holding on but winning some few miles to Camper while Groupama keeps winning to everybody.

I guess Puma is out of Groupama reach but Camper is only at 27Nm with 290 to go. It would be almost impossible but you never know. Will they go West of Cat Island? Will Telefonica follows or will go the other way around trying to eat the 16Nm that separates them from Groupama?

A close call for Groupama: To risk more to try to catch Camper or risk less and protect themselves from Telefonica, their main opponent on the race?

Old 05-08-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Jpk 38fc

Hi Paulo,

Great thread, keep up the good work!

Some new pictures of the JPK 38FC interior. Looks really good! Have you heard anything about the performance of this boat?

Kind regards,

Mr W
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-dsc00507.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-dsc00508.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-dsc00509.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-dsc00510.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-dsc00515.jpg  

Old 05-08-2012

Re: Jpk 38fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paulo,

Great thread, keep up the good work!

Some new pictures of the JPK 38FC interior. Looks really good! Have you heard anything about the performance of this boat?

Kind regards,

Mr W
Hi!Mr W, thanks for posting. As I was expecting from previous boats that seems to be a great interior with good quality materials. I also like the look of it: cozy and light and JPK offers a great deal of customization.

That also means that there are already two boats made . The exterior photos I have posted were from a version with a fixed keel this one seems to be a swing keel version.

About performances that is easy to tell: This boat is FAST. I don't know any JPK boat that is not fast anyway

It is not a boat made for handicap racing and possibly the handicap would not be very good, I don't know, but I know that you are going to arrive in the middle of the racing boats. If you are talking about just cruising and have fun, this and a Pogo are as fast as you can get. This boat has also a lot of ballast and it will be a very seaworthy boat. I would like to have a look at the stability curve, but I bet it is great.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-08-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Jpk 38fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Very nice! Looks like I got dilemma
Old 05-08-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: JPK 38FC

Hi Paulo,

I actually think this is the version with the fixed keel. I think they all have the same layout with what looks to be a box under the mast support for the hydraulics, but on this boat itīs probably just some storage for some bottles of fine liquor... I think there has only been one boat built, and that is the fixed keel version (not 100% sure though).

Do you think the JPK 38 will have somewhat equal performance as the Pogo 12.50? It only has 80 sqm of upwind sailarea, compared to the Pogos 107 or so sqm, and it weighs almost the same.

The reason why I have been following this thread is that Iīm looking for a new boat for me and my family. We have two young boys and therefore Iīm looking for a boat that is stable and easy to single hand. The area where we spend most of our time on the water is characterized by mostly light winds (5-15 knots), flat water, shallow harbours and lots of small islands with tight passages.

I have previously owned 2 trimarans and before that I have been in the world of keelboats with my parents. Iīm a bit hooked on multihulls due to speed and stability but my mind is open for keelboats as well, if I can find one that can be very fast with relatively little effort put in to it! The mrs always reminds me that a multihull can capsize, even though I try to convince her it wonīt. I have had my eyes on the Pogo 12.50 and JPK 38, but they are imho a little bit too big for us. I was thinking max 35 feet. Itīs a shame that the Pogo 10.50 isnīt as modern design as the 12.50 and the JPK.

Any other suggestions?!

Kind regards,
Mr W