Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Re: JPK 38FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
I actually think this is the version with the fixed keel. I think they all have the same layout with what looks to be a box under the mast support for the hydraulics, but on this boat itīs probably just some storage for some bottles of fine liquor... I think there has only been one boat built, and that is the fixed keel version (not 100% sure though).
Mr W, just take a look at table top, first image some kind of orange, last one without such top. But images are taken just 10 minutes apart.

Quote:
I have had my eyes on the Pogo 12.50 and JPK 38, but they are imho a little bit too big for us. I was thinking max 35 feet. Itīs a shame that the Pogo 10.50 isnīt as modern design as the 12.50 and the JPK.
Why don't you wait for Pogo 30 then.

Last edited by G1000; 05-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Jpk 38fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Very nice! Looks like I got dilemma
Should not be a problem. More choice is always good. Go there sail both boats, sit inside and have a feeling of what would be living there, see what are the customization options on both boats talk with the builders and I am sure you will find out what is the one you prefer.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-08-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Should not be a problem. More choice is always good. Go there sail both boats, sit inside and have a feeling of what would be living there, see what are the customization options on both boats talk with the builders and I am sure you will find out what is the one you prefer.
Already checked distance between both yards. Just 87.5 km Decisions based on feelings are not the best in such a case
Old 05-08-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

The JPK is an interresting boat, certainly fast, but I wish builders would go back to respect the need for ventilation for a cruising situation, besides the wed night around the cans. The JPK is an extreme example, and it's primary use will be racing, but most newer production boats show the same trend, more light, less opening portholes and hatches. Hardly any of them have dorades, or solarvents. I wonder why, it's not that much expense to do that.
Another trend is the linear galley as boats have gotten fatter. Not really optimized for cooking while underway, and also the loss of a good seaberth, and extra settee. But I think personal preferences and use will differ on that.
Old 05-08-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mr W, just take a look at table top, first image some kind of orange, last one without such top. But images are taken just 10 minutes apart.
That orange table top might be a lid or something, removed on the second photo? Donīt know really! Strange choice of color though

Quote:
Why don't you wait for Pogo 30 then.
I have been looking at the Pogo 30 as well, I guess I have to wait until itīs finished. On the pictures it appears to lack cockpit backrests, which might be a safety concern with the kids. But they are nice boats, arenīt they!

I hope Eric will share some more experiences from the 12.50. Iīd be really interested in how the boat performes in flat water and at what windspeeds it will start planing without the help of surfing.

Kind regards,
Mr W
Old 05-08-2012

Jpk 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
The JPK is an interresting boat, certainly fast, but I wish builders would go back to respect the need for ventilation for a cruising situation, besides the wed night around the cans. The JPK is an extreme example, and it's primary use will be racing, but most newer production boats show the same trend, more light, less opening portholes and hatches. Hardly any of them have dorades, or solarvents. I wonder why, it's not that much expense to do that.
Regarding The JPK is an extreme example, and it's primary use will be racing, you cannot be more off. The 38 is the ONLY JPK that has nothing to do with racing and is thought exclusively for cruising. That is JPK idea of a cruising boat and it seems it is not yours.

Regarding ventilation I don’t see a problem but if you want JPK will open all the holes you want or almost. This is a boat with a good level of customization.

Regarding less openings on the hull (and more light and outside views) as a tendency you are right specially in what regards to lateral small openings in the cabin. They all with time will let water in, so no more of that. The tendency is to substitute that with bigger and a superior number of hatches especially on the saloon.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Already checked distance between both yards. Just 87.5 km Decisions based on feelings are not the best in such a case
Well, do you have also test sailed the boats, maybe the feeling at the rudder will make the difference

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Hi Paulo,

Do you think the JPK 38 will have somewhat equal performance as the Pogo 12.50? It only has 80 sqm of upwind sailarea, compared to the Pogos 107 or so sqm, and it weighs almost the same.

The reason why I have been following this thread is that Iīm looking for a new boat for me and my family. We have two young boys and therefore Iīm looking for a boat that is stable and easy to single hand. The area where we spend most of our time on the water is characterized by mostly light winds (5-15 knots), flat water, shallow harbours and lots of small islands with tight passages.

I have previously owned 2 trimarans and before that I have been in the world of keelboats with my parents. Iīm a bit hooked on multihulls due to speed and stability but my mind is open for keelboats as well, if I can find one that can be very fast with relatively little effort put in to it! The mrs always reminds me that a multihull can capsize, even though I try to convince her it wonīt. I have had my eyes on the Pogo 12.50 and JPK 38, but they are imho a little bit too big for us. I was thinking max 35 feet. Itīs a shame that the Pogo 10.50 isnīt as modern design as the 12.50 and the JPK.

Any other suggestions?!

Kind regards,
Mr W
I don't think the Pogo 10.50 is dated and if you like the interior you should consider it. The Pogo 12,50 is much bigger than the JPK 38 and overall will be more fast but only if you have someone to help sailing it or if you are a hell of a sailor, kind a professional racer.

The JPK 38 will be easier to sail and a “normal” good level sailor will probably be more able to exploit the boat solo compared with the Pogo 12.50. The JPK is also a better all around boat, better upwind and will probably have a more comfortable sea motion in waves.

Regarding speed a Trimaran will always be faster except in bad weather.

Remember this kind of boats are designed to be easy to sail, very fast downwind but regarding all around absolute performance a light narrower boat with lots of ballast will be faster. The problem is that such a boat will not only be more nervous but also more expensive to built and will have normally a big draft.

Regarding other boats, why not the Malango 999. I have posted about it already. It certainly is a fast and interesting boat with a great interior.

idbmarine chantier de construction naval du voilier Malango

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-08-2012

New boat: RM 1260

The boat is on the water. First photos from a test that will be published soon on Yacht magazine. The boat looks huge for a 40ft and the interior space is…big.

Old 05-09-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think the Pogo 10.50 is dated and if you like the interior you should consider it.
Youīre right Paulo, itīs not that old. But I imagine that the 12,50 and JPK will have a much better form stability due to the chined hulls and should also therefore be able to carry more sail. I might think to much of chined hulls though.

Quote:
Remember this kind of boats are designed to be easy to sail, very fast downwind but regarding all around absolute performance a light narrower boat with lots of ballast will be faster.
It has been pointed out that the Pogo 30 might start planing at TWA 60-65, which would make that boat a rather good allround boat for me. If it does this, I donīt really care that itīs not the best upwind boat of this size The swing keel with depth between 0,95-2,40 is really appealing too. You can reach some really shallow waters with it! I wonder if Structures would consider building an all carbon Pogo 30, that would really do it...

Quote:
Regarding other boats, why not the Malango 999. I have posted about it already. It certainly is a fast and interesting boat with a great interior.
Thanks Paulo, I havenīt seen this boat yet!

My best alternative when it comes to trimarans is the Dragonfly 32, which I donīt believe you have mentioned earlier in this thread? The first boat should be finished later this month, I really look forward to it!

I saw that you posted the video of the Dragonfly 28 a few days ago. I went on a sail on just that boat this weekend and I must tell you Iīm allways suprised by the speed of those boats! We had 6-8 knots of wind with 10 knots gusts. We maxed out at 10 knots boat speed that day. Nice!

//Mr W