Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
On Design - stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Paulo, how do they perform the stability test? Since I don't know, I don't know how to interpret the curve. Does the boat get completely turtled hence 180 degree on the x-axis?
You make questions that give a lot to work to answer .

About the interpretation of a stability curve, first look here to understand the meaning of the therms used:

Ships Definations

Than here for a good generic explanation:

s/y Troldand - Stability

and here for a fine tunned explanation (read the first page and open "stability comparison" PDF :

stability

Those curves are about static stability, an important way to access a boat stability but on a boat you have also to take on consideration dynamic stability (the interaction of the boat with the waves). Dynamic stability is a much more controversial subject even if there are some certitudes. For example a boat with a high freeboard will have a better stability curve (than the same hull with a small freeboard) but the dynamic stability would be a lot worse.

Regarding the way stability curves are obtained:

Most of them are obtained by a computer program, introducing the different boat parameters.To have a better one you can make an inclining test and enter with that values to confirm the previous curve, or make one based on those numbers.

"A GZ curve provided by the yacht designer is shown on an ORCi Stability & Hydrostatic Datasheet and is produced as part of the ISO 12217-2 calculations. By itself, a GZ curve does not meet the YA Special Regs for stability!!! In other words, the ORCV will not accept a GZ curve provided by a yacht designer on its own. Supporting documentation from an inclination test will need to be provided to demonstrate that the boats resistance to capsize matches the designer’s data provided."

And many times it does not match

2010_Stability

An inclining test looks like this:

2009_InclinationTests

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2010

Comet 26

The Presto 30 is a versatile and fun boat, but this one is not behind .

An Italian little beauty (26 ft), with a lifting keel and a foldable mast. Also with a version with fixed keel and regular mast.

A very nice design by Sergio Lupoli

Sergio Lupoli Yacht Design

"The Comet 26 is Sergio Lupoli’s brainchild and aims to complete Comar Yachts’ small boat range. The goal of the Fiumicino Yard is in fact to offer a series of yachts that are small but are excellently built. The sporty, high-performance and fun gamut includes the Comet 21, 26 and 30. The C26 is a part of this range built by Comar Poland, the shipyard Comar Yachts has established in Poland for the construction of these boats.

In particular, the Comet 26 aims to be a comfortable small cruiser, very easy to use and with excellent technical content. The sail plan and deck layout are optimized to ensure the boat is fast and responsive when maneuvering, at the same time making certain she is easy to manage even with a family crew.

The Comet 26 is easy to use and transport as you can reach the beach thanks to the lifting keel and retractable rudder. The boat’s minimum draft is 50 cm. The foldable mast also guarantees the ease of transport: a well tested block & tackle system allows the Comet 26 to go under bridges not less than 3 meters high, letting you moor along channels and rivers.

A second version of the C26 is also available with a fixed keel and a non-foldable mast. Thanks to a notable freeboard and maximum beam of about 3 meters, the Comet 26 offers true cruiser interiors: berths are spacious and comfortable and the galley and head areas are ergonomically designed to be spacious and functional.

Hull and deck are solidly laminated using isophthalic resin and fiberglass sheets. With the Comet 26, the goal is to offer a small cruising boat that is truly easy to manage while providing maximum comfort."

ComarYachts

And after this one, that has been presented this year on the Genoa boat show, a 30ft is on its way (Marty, look at this one ):

Gorgeous boats aren't they? and in Italian red, like the Ferraris

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
That's lovely Paulo. Must be something of a trial to single hand with those coachroof mounted sheet winches but she'd be a fun boat no doubt. (Ah, just noted that the 30's sheet winches are down low.)

The designer in me cries out for the Comet but the aging hippy says Presto. I suspect that if they were the same price then I'd end up going Comet but I presume the Presto would a lot cheaper, both to buy and to maintain.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-07-2010

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Now that does look cool. My question is about the auxiliary - is that the engine back there in that tiny offset compartment? If so, I'm assuming it must have a saildrive of some sort at the extreme aft edge of the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 10-07-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Looks like fun... from a cruising/livability POV, I have to wonder how much clearance is above that seemingly large aft berth (under the cockpit sole) .. maybe a tight fit for a claustro...

Is the 26 meant to be O/B powered?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-07-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Guys, I would like to call your attention to a boat that all of you know

No, I am no going senile it is just that what makes a boat interesting is not only its merits but also its price.

The Beneteau First 40 is interesting by its own qualities but now it is been offered in a new version (CR) at a price that is hard to resist. To give you an idea, the price would not be faraway from the one from a Bavaria 40 fully equipped and at least 40 000 euros less than the other European cruiser racers (Dufour, Elan, Salona) and about the same than a 380 Elan. And, off course, this boat is quick.
Paulo
Paulo,
After reading your post, I was drawn to learn more about the First Series. By examining all previous models including 40.7, 42, AND 44.7, I was disappointed to find that the new 40 has a relatively small tankage compared to those of the previous models. I understand that First series in not design for long term cruising. But I like to use for it for cruising with a possibility to sail to Europe and stay there for a couple years.

I am not sure how the hardware used in the new 40 compared to the older ones. From the Beneteau website, the new hull is lighter, stronger and stiffer. Your thought on this is appreciated.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-07-2010

Hey guys,

The 26ft can has a 10hp outboard or an inboard diesel (saildrive) with 13 hp.

Andrews, I believe that you are right about the 30ft. On the 26ft it seems to me that with a stick you can reach the front winches. Probably both boats will have an option for an extra side winch.

Regarding price you are probably right. The Comar are very good and fast boats and their price is not far from the ones from Grand Soleil (the bigger italian sail shipyard) and that means expensive, a lot more than similar French boats ( that are not so well finished). But this one is from a new line, made not in Italy but in Poland and that has certainly to do with the boat price. Maybe this one is not as expensive

Guys do you want to vote on the nicest boat?

"Giornalle de la Vela", probably the best sail magazine in Italy (and one of the good ones in Europe) is selecting the nicest sail boat presented on the Genova boat show. They are all 2010 models, and they are all nice boats.

Have a vote

Giornale Della Vela | Sondaggio Qual la barca pi bella del Salone di Genova Abbiamo selezionato undici novit presenti al Salone di Genova di ogni taglia e prezzo da 8 a 20

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-07-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Guys do you want to vote on the nicest boat?

"Giornalle de la Vela", probably the best sail magazine in Italy (and one of the good ones in Europe) is selecting the nicest sail boat presented on the Genova boat show. They are all 2010 models, and they are all nice boats.

Have a vote

Giornale Della Vela | Sondaggio Qual la barca pi bella del Salone di Genova Abbiamo selezionato undici novit presenti al Salone di Genova di ogni taglia e prezzo da 8 a 20

Regards

Paulo
Je ne sais pas! or some such spelling of wording in my brain from the F I got in French class! I guess I need to know italian to vote eh! hmmmmmm: p

Not sure about prettiest, but 1st choices for how "I" use a boat, Elan 350, 1st 30 and that Comet, if nothing else for the name is pretty cool!

Beyond that............

Not sure that there is a truly UGLY boat........ then about that time I see this white and browny tan Buccaneer 26 in the impound yard at my marina......

marty
Old 10-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
It is showing my predilection for big windows but the Hanse does it for me. Self tacking headsail, good looks and with the dark interior option it loses a lot of the Hanse Ikea Interior design look. At 44.5' a bit too much boat perhaps but I reckon I could live with that baby. I just wish Hanse could give us a proper bloody chart table. Scrap one of the cabins for all I care, ditch one of the heads I'd not be upset, but I want a proper bloody chart table, somewhere a bloke can sit, ponder the world at large, the eternal verities and all that and when in the mood pontificate to the assembled masses.

Beyond that the Elan 350 and the Comet because they do things a little differently and with great panache. Had the Comet 30 been on the list she might just have shuffled her way to the top.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-07-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You know TD, better to have NOT the chart table, because that would make you think, and you know what that does to us males! pulls a dang brain cell mind you! that makes fuzzies REALLY fuzzy! So stick with lack of chart table......

Then again, my 1985 29.5' Jeanneau has a better chart table than the Hanse! at what, 1/10 or less of the cost.......