Like Tree1263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noordzee View Post
Hi Paulo,

The Comet 41 sure looks nice! and I see the resemblance on certain things, steel interiour frame, deep rudder, and overall lines of the hull. You'll have good fun and sailing on that one. Here in Holland we don't see too often a Comet.

I'm curious of what mods you proposed. I know that Salona is very eager to learn from experienced sailors to improve on the product (In contradiction to yards as Beneteau and others). Also I liked their flexibility in exchanging things for others within the package. Like I really wanted the Raymarine E7 plotter and not the Garmin one. They even asked me if I wanted extra 12V outlets in cabins, etc. Really stunning.

A four month trip! Wow, wish I had the time to do so.

Cheers, Eric
Yes, I wanted also that E7 also and not the standard version but one that would accept radar also. Not a problem with that or the other things. I talked directly with Nenad, the sales director that was more than eager to help and put me in contact with the design department for the more complicated things. I had posted already about that. I will make a resume:

About the Salona 38 and the modifications:

"I have been in contact with the guys from Salona for about a year, first about the 41 (that I charted for a week in the summer) and later about the 38. The 38 was released on the summer and I had the opportunity to sail the first boat in the water...

I loved it from the beginning and the boat has enough space for us, it is fast enough, easier to put and to take out of the marina and the sails are not as big as the ones on the 41, making an easier boat to sail solo, not to mention, a less expensive one.

Basically I had already decided it would be a Salona because between the affordable fast and light boats this is probably the stronger, with its stainless steel grid to take the keel and the shroud efforts and with with an optional all vinilester/epoxy hull. The boat has also waterproof bulkheads aft and at the bow, and because Salona is the only affordable production shipyard that will modify their boats to meet my needs in all that it is possible and that was really a lot

For example, I wanted a boat less pointed to cruising and racing, but more pointing to a fast cruising boat with offshore good qualities, a very stiff boat that could sail well upwind without having guys on the side.

Not that the boat has a bad stability. It has already a good Ballast/displacement ratio for this type of keel and draft and a comparative good one if compared with most cruising boats of this size, but I wanted more:

I wanted to substitute the keel they have in the boat by an heavier and better performance one, one that was not designed for the best results on handicap racing, but for pure performance and that without adding much weight would give me a more powerful boat, specially in bad weather with a better reserve stability and a better AVS.

Well, it is done and at a price I do not found prohibitive.

I wanted a nice pole for the geenaker. I have discussed with them several models and they have already showed the preliminary drawings to me: A carbon one, the type Grand Soleil and x yachts are using that incorporates the anchor and bow roller. A nice design.

Done, and again at an affordable price.

I did not like the stow away cockpit table that was heavy and not very stable (the same type as on the 41). I talked to them and they said that they were going to look at it.

They have send me the designs: Nicely designed.

I complained about the instruments that were, like all boats that are also used for race, too far away, over the cabin entry. They have showed to me the available pods in the market: All ugly. They have said they were going to look at it. They have sent me the preliminar drawings (I have posted them already), nicely designed and I have no doubts, they will be well made.

I could go on for a long time, from permanent jack lines to places to hook the harness passing by lateral handgrabs on the spraywood, to a removable textile stay, to a Spade instead of their standard anchor, to a custom transom pole to the radar and a special support to carry the dingy on the transom, the list would be long not to mention the many options they have to customize the boat.

I guess they do that with clients that ask them things that actually can improve the boat, they do that to cruisers and they do that for racers too, but in this case in what regards pure performance and a faster and more competitive boat."

As you can see it was a lot of things. Many you can see already on the 35: The spy pole, the table, the instrument pods, the type of keel and probably also on the more recent 38, at least as options.

Others were too particular or expensive to make as options to a boat like the heavier keel (about 260/300kg more).

With that keel "my" boat would still be lighter than your boat, in fact it would use on a 2.25m keel the same ballast your's have on a 2.00m keel. It would be lighter some 300 to 400kg (epoxy hull) and would be a lot stiffer in medium to heavy winds being faster and able to carry more sail on those conditions. In fact the ballast ratio would be closer to the one on the Xp 38 or Grand Soleil 39, boats that have the name type of hulls. All that of course would come with a price making it more expensive but even so a lot less expensive than other boats with similar specifications.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-16-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2012

nemier is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

The boat is a Comet 41....

I will only be the full owner of the boat at 18/6 and I will only be on the water a week later...but then I am going away for 4 months or so....

I will be sailing and seldom will have internet so it is a bit like....I will be back in the winter

Regards

Paulo

Hey Paulo!
You enjoy yourself this summer and enjoy the new boat!! You have done an outstanding job with this thread and have earned a decent break. Set your child free...
Come back with photos and stories of more gorgeous interesting boats.
Old 05-16-2012

Atlantic cup race:

Thanks Nemier

Now, I let this one pass unnoticed. Well, I was too busy following the the AG2R but this one is on your back yard, I mean considering that most of you are Americans:

These seems a very interesting race to me and that's the only one 40class race you have there. It is a duo crewed race with in port crewed races.

It started at eleven this month they have already finished the first leg and the second one will start in 2 days.

The winner of the first leg was the best sailor...not an American, not a French but a German one and I say the best because some months back he won the 40 class Transat...now won the next race, this one. May not be the best but it is becoming pretty difficult to beat Riechers, alone or with a partner.

I will be following this one

Race | Atlantic Cup 2012

Last edited by PCP; 05-16-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2012

New American boat: Motive 25

That is a very nice sports and eventually weekend cruiser coastal cat, a very modern one and I bet an incredibly fast one.

We can say that the boat is almost a copy of the Swedish Seacart 26, but when the copy announces only about half the weight things become very interesting. Of course it is an all Carbon boat.

They have also a small sister with 15ft. The project as a hole seems very interesting and the factory is equipped with some expensive tools for really up-today boat building.

A very interesting boat. I hope the boat will be a success.

They say about the boat:

The Motive 25R is the first carbon fiber, production trimaran in its class. Sleek, modern and performance oriented, the Motive 25R is designed for spirited day sailing and in-shore racing. Fast and simple, the Motive 25R offers race performance in a stable, easy to sail package. Whether your goal is to win races, day sail with friends or serious fun camping and raiding adventures (R is for Raid!), the Motive 25R offers a unique mix of features that make it the ultimate performance daysailer.

The M25R’s lightweight carbon fiber construction, outer hull rudders, and modern length to beam ratio allow you to easily fly the center hull, reach speeds of 20+ knots and still accommodate up to six people. A thrill which must be experienced to be believed!

By combining modern, race inspired hull design with a boomless mainsail, roller furling headsails and easy trailering, the Motive 25R maximizes time on the water and shatters the notion that “fast boats must be complex”.

PRINCIPLE DIMENSIONS

LENGTH OVERALL:
7.79 M
25.25 FT
BEAM: 6.48 M 21.25 FT
BEAM FOLDED: 2.54 M 8.33 FT
DISPLACEMENT: 397 KG 875 LBS
DRAFT CB UP: 0.15 M 0.50 FT
DRAFT CB DOWN: 1.37 M 4.50 FT
MAST LENGTH: 10.82 M 35.50 FT
MAINSAIL AREA: 22.11 M2 238 FT2
JIB AREA: 7.62 M2 82 FT2
SCREECHER AREA: 23.22 M2 250 FT2
AUX POWER (MAX): 5.00 HP 5.00 HP

397 kg to a sail area of about 30m2 upwind and a downwind sail area of more than 45m2 will make for an incredible sailing experience. I would like to try that one

Old 05-17-2012

Atlantic cup race

Some more nice images from the Atlantic Cup race. The Dragon race:

Old 05-18-2012

Vor70

Just to remember you guys that the Miami in port race is tomorrow 13.00 local time, 17.00 UTC and the race will be transmitted life on the Volvo site.

Old 05-18-2012

Racing: ORCI

Some good changes on ORCI: Due to the high number of boats on the next ORCI world championship, that will take place in Finland (they have already 128 entries and more are coming) they will Split the faster boats, or what was till here the faster boats (class A).

Now only really fast boats will be able to contend for the main title, preventing that some older and slower boat with a good rating could win the series.

Competitors with a 2012 ORC GPH (General Purpose Handicap) rating of 614.9 sec/mile or less will race for the Class A World Championship title, and those with a 2012 GPH of greater than or equal to 615.0 sec/mi will race for the Class B World Championship title. At the current entry level of 128, this puts over 40 boats in Class A and over 80 boats in Class B - figures are not exact yet, as some teams listed their 2011 GPH figures in their entries.

CLASS SPLIT & NEW FORMAT FOR 2012 ORCi WORLDS

This is going to permit the much desired change in the rules regarding handicap not penalizing excessively the faster boats, promoting lighter boats and more stiff boats, boats with bigger righting moment.

This is a push in the right direction, allowing the better and faster sailing boats to win the races and put the designers and boat builders doing better and faster sailing boats, not just boats for a rating.

I think that the true objective is this one: For winning a top race you should need a top boat and a top team, not just an average boat with a good rating and a good team.

Plenty of other ORC races to compete with older and less performant boats, at least for the top prize. ORCI should be really for the best at least if they want any credibility as a world title.

It seems to me these guys are going in the good direction

Last edited by PCP; 05-18-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Vor70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Just to remember you guys that the Miami in port race is tomorrow 13.00 local time, 17.00 UTC and the race will be transmitted life on the Volvo site.

I will out on the water and if anyone would like to join me let me know. It should be a fun day on the water. "GO PUMA!"
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 05-18-2012

Vor 70

Have fun Melrna...and good luck to Puma.

The complet report on the last leg. Great movie

Old 05-18-2012

Wink Dinghy sailing: Great sailing

the Finn Gold Cup 2012: