Vor 70

5 minutes to the start of the leg to Lisbon. Live here:

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vor 70

No wind on the start and no wind on the next 24 to 36 hours but then:

Despite a light start to the 3,590 nautical mile transatlantic leg, gale force winds with gusts in excess of 45 knots await the fleet off shore, where Tropical Storm Alberto is lying in wait off the east coast of the United States.

Read reckons the first 24 to 48 hours of racing will prove critical, and set up a scenario where the early leaders could escape.

“We’re going to have south easterlies today and a little transition to get to the west and north westerlies around that little low up there," he said. "I think the first person through that transition will have a really great jump, so yeah, this first 24, 48 hours are really critical I think in this leg."

Leg 7 is expected to take around 11 days to complete.
Old 05-20-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Yesterday race and the start of leg 7 was interesting to say the least. Not much wind today for the start. Slow one. In the replay I can see my boat and I in the spectator fleet. Interesting that the power boaters outnumber the sailboaters 15:1 at least. They keep moving the marker buoys around so it was hard in the beginning to get a good spot without getting yelled at all the time. All I can say is go PUMA. Meet Ken Reed the other day and had a nice chat with him. Got him out of sail changing duties. Takes 6 guys to lift their sails on and off the boat. And these are big boys, Yummy! . Have pics but cannot seem to load them. I won't make Lisbon Paulo. Great city though. I was there about 3 years ago and almost meet up with Alex. Saw his boat there in the marina in Calais
( I think I got that right).
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 05-20-2012

Vor 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
... I won't make Lisbon Paulo. Great city though. I was there about 3 years ago and almost meet up with Alex. Saw his boat there in the marina in Calais
( I think I got that right).
Too bad. Thanks about Lisbon. I guess you mean Cascais: A small city on a bay and the place where the Tejo river meets the sea. That's the local where sail racing normally takes place. There is a marina there.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-21-2012

VOR Transat

First hand of this play is to Groupama or should I say Cammas since this was entirely a strategic play:

Groupama, alone chose a different course and it seems to me that he chose the right course. He is blasting away from all other boats doing over 20k and looking for big winds and stormy seas.

If they can keep the boat in one piece in 12 hours the difference for the second (Puma) would be much more than the 9K they have already. That is assuming that weather and wind information is true and it was not always the case on this race

At its centre, Alberto holds gale-force winds of 35 knots but the teams will likely try to exploit the lesser, more favourable breeze further from the eye of the storm that could catapult them across the Atlantic.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 05-21-2012

Bandit 800 and 870

Since we were talking about small interesting small cruising boats, these two versions of the same boat have certainly their place here: The 800, the older version and the 870 the newer one.

The boat is transportable, it is foldable and very seaworthy for its size. What a nice way for a couple to do coastal cruising and have fun sailing:

The 800:

Trimaran de croisière rapide Bandit 800 por MULTIDO

Le trimaran Bandit 800 C.N. Multid'o por MULTIDO

And the new one, the 2012 Bandit 870:

Last edited by PCP; 05-21-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2012

Code 0 and Comfortina 39

Very nice movie on Hamnen about the use of Code 0 for cruising. It is in Swedish but it is pretty much self explanatory.

The movie show also how well the Comfortina 39 sails in light winds. We have talked already about this German boat that is one of my preferred among the more traditional boats. This is a very interesting boat, in a kind of classic way, a relatively heavy boat if compared with performance sailing boats but a fast boat if compared with the Malo or Halberg-Rassy.

Let's have a look at some other movies, in this case from an Italian test:

This is a high quality boat that can maintain all sail up with lots of wind, a very good offshore boat with a good sail performance and a great interior

Old 05-21-2012

Re: VOR Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
First hand of this play is to Groupama or should I say Cammas since this was entirely a strategic play:

Groupama, alone chose a different course and it seems to me that he chose the right course. He is blasting away from all other boats doing over 20k and looking for big winds and stormy seas.

If they can keep the boat in one piece in 12 hours the difference for the second (Puma) would be much more than the 9K they have already. That is assuming that weather and wind information is true and it was not always the case on this race

Well, it is good to be right

Puma lost almost 20Nm on 6 hours to Groupama and is going to loss more on the next hours, I would say.

Unless the weather chart is not right I don't understand Puma strategy. The pack, after having hesitated followed Groupama course and it seems a better one than the one Puma is following.

Old 05-21-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I must say, I really like the Comfortina 39. Looks like a nice offshore suitable interior, and the exterior is pleasantly non-euro styled. She even sports dorade vents. She also seems to sail well. I can only find a 2m draft version on their site. Do they offer a shoal keel option? How is the pricing compared to HR372 or Salona38?
As far as Puma goes, it seems they are staying close to the eastern wall of the Gulf Stream, maybe in the hopes of a favorable current, maybe they know something we don't....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.