Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
I must admit the boat is actually surprisingly fast for weighing this much. For example, we were only 25 seconds slower than a brand new Dufour 36E Performance (ok, not a light boat either) (see attached pic, sorry for low res!) pimped out with square top main, skippered by Anna Drougge (whitbread + volvo ocean race sailor and swedish match race champion). Total time for us was just over 11 hours during 4 days.

//Mr W
Yes, they said on the boat tests that the Dufour 36 performance was fast...well, I have my doubts. I think that a top specs Salona 35 will be way faster.

The important is having fun and it seems you have a lof of it

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by okyalos View Post
Dear Sailors
I am glad to find this site since the information nested here are valuable. Although i thought i knew everything about yachting, i was pleasantly suprised to learn about yacht perfectly strange to Cyprus, such as JPK, Mylius, Heol,NM, and all the other gems.
I personally prefer racing and i am considering a 35-40 cruiser racer but decision is not foreseen to be easy
Welcome on board

What boats are you considering and what type of racing are you considering: Around the cans, offshore, with crew, duo or solo?

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-22-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The important is having fun and it seems you have a lof of it
Indeed we did, racing is (almost!) always fun! The boat suits my brothers needs very well I think, I on the other hand find it difficult to settle with displacement speed...

I know you have posted about the SIG45, here is a new video:

Now that looks sweet!

//Mr W
Old 05-22-2012

Sig 45 and Vor 70

Great boat the Sig 45. Thanks for posting

Another great movie, this one from the VOR, showing that rough time I had already talked about:

Old 05-22-2012

okyalos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Welcome on board

What boats are you considering and what type of racing are you considering: Around the cans, offshore, with crew, duo or solo?

Regards

Paulo
I race around the cans and usually one extended regatta every year. We sail with crew but a short handed boat is really tempting since it can save you from considerable logistics issue. Last year i crewed on a SWAN 45 which had 12 crew, and it was a pain in the*** for the skipper to coordinate.
I like elan 350, however i did not understand the rational behind the placement of the mainsheet track.
Old 05-22-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Sig 45 and Vor 70

Quote:
Another great movie, this one from the VOR, showing that rough time I had already talked about:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/UGXZKZT3euA?rel=0
Ok, thatīs just not for me. I like warm and cosy!

//Mr W
Old 05-22-2012

Halberg Rassy 412: First images

The boat does not look as modern as the 372 and that transom that looked badly designed to me, is really badly designed.

The 372 has the same problem but not so visible. Strangely the 412 looks more massif on the transom and on the last 1/3 of the boat. It’s odd because a longer hull should contribute to make it a slimmer boat and that is not the case. Take a look, first the 412 then the 372:

I am not talking about the hull that seems to be modern and efficient. The boat uses high tech sails and it looks to sail well. It seems that HR continues its progression towards faster and better sailing boats.

Looking from forward the boat looks just great:

But the guy at the wheel looks like it is in the bath room, you know doing what.

The wheel is pulled back on the cockpit to provide a big space forward and that would not be a problem if the cockpit was open, but like it is the space for the wheelsman is too small:

The profile is typically Halberg-rassy, no ugly but a bit like if they wanted a aft cockpit boat to look like a center cockpit boat.

I guess the inconditional traditional fans will be satisfied and the ones that hoped for a more modern boat a bit disapointed. Even so it is a good looking boat except when you look it from the back.

Last edited by PCP; 05-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2012

Elan 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by okyalos View Post
I like elan 350, however i did not understand the rational behind the placement of the mainsheet track.
What's wrong with it? It seems perfect for solo or duo racing:

A rigging set-up that is perfect for solo sailing would not be good for crew racing and vice-versa.

Some top boats can rig it for the type of racing you want to do. For instance, the A35 that is as good solo racing as crew racing....with different rigging set-ups. The same with the JPK 10.10.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2012

Classic boats: White wings

Just look at this all girls team sailing White Wings on muscular conditions: beautiful boat, beautiful crew

Old 05-23-2012

Vor 70

Great racing by Groupama, Telefonica and also by Abu Dhabi that is following Telefonica. It seems to me that Telefonica and Abu Dhabi, more to the North are in a better position. They all have to turn North the question would be when.

Only Camper has given up to follow Groupama lead and had already turned North. Don't think it is going to work.

Next 12 hours will be very interesting with several options, more to the South, more to the North, before going North. It has not only to do with wind pressure but also with wind direction. I hope we will see different strategies. Puma would be the one that would gain more in not follow Groupama since it as already lost 41 miles and needs to recover them.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.