Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Incredible stuff

The tanker was being led by a pilot boat, it warned the other vessels, it's restricted by its draft, it can't carry out any manoeuvres or stop.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012

okyalos is on a distinguished road
Re: Elan 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
What's wrong with it? It seems perfect for solo or duo racing:

A rigging set-up that is perfect for solo sailing would not be good for crew racing and vice-versa.

Some top boats can rig it for the type of racing you want to do. For instance, the A35 that is as good solo racing as crew racing....with different rigging set-ups. The same with the JPK 10.10.

Regards

Paulo
Hi Paulo

It's a lovely boat and it seems to be fast. However, the mainsheet track is placed at the right place, but i did not figure out why it's 20 cm above deck level. I saw the tracks of salona and they are perfectly fitted at deck level. It is quite possible to stick your foot in this track. Beyond this, it's a great boat.
I have a question regarding solo or crew rigging. Does this actually exist? For instance, i saw azurre, another sexy boat which although it claims to be short handed it has runners which means another 2 crew for gybing.
Old 05-24-2012

Re: Elan 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by okyalos View Post
Hi Paulo

I have a question regarding solo or crew rigging. Does this actually exist? For instance, i saw azurre, another sexy boat which although it claims to be short handed it has runners which means another 2 crew for gybing.
Hi!

I am not sure I understand your question but I will try to make everything clear:

A good rigging setup for solo sailing is not for sure a good setup for crew racing. The priorities are contradictory. For crew racing you want to have all the guys working on the sails well distributed with space for working. On solo sail you want to have everything near to your hand and near the wheel or tiler.

If the question is that some brands like Archambault, JPK or Pogo can put in your boat a rigging for solo or crew racing the answer is yes. They have plenty boats that are raced solo (on the transquadra) and have helped sailors to develop systems and rigging adapted to that and have the knowledge.

Some has that knowledge from the beginning: JPK was a solo racer.

On a Salona 35 I am sure you can improve the standard rigging for solo the difference is that for them you have to say what you want because they have experience with crew racing and cruising sailors but no experience with solo racers.

To give you an example, on Archambault they developed for solo racing a thing they call the satellite. The boat was a tiller and the satellite is on the center of the boat near your feet. All lines are brought there.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-24-2012

New boat: Brenta Super Star.

The idea is an ambitious one: A boat to substitute on the Olympic series the old but great Star.

Well, the boat is beautiful and it is also a XXI century boat, canting keel and all.

Over the Star it has the big advantage of being a boat that can be used as a day sailor and carry passengers and off course, it will be a much faster boat, specially downwind.

Anyway it is a beautiful daysailor and I am sure it is an incredible boat to sail. It is a 33ft.

Old 05-24-2012

Vor 70

and I was right again, they went all North and also Telefonica was in a better position than Groupama and the Spanish managed to overtake the French, that are now at 10Nm. Great race by these two boats.

Now it is Telefonica that leads the way with Groupama following. These two boats seem to me in a better position and should won miles to everybody on the next 12 hours.

They will go North for some time and then they will go East again, circling the Açores anti-cyclone. The catch here is the time they will chose to turn right: If they will go more to the North they will get more wind and speed, if they cut first, they will have a shorter way and less speed.

The right choice will say who is going to pass Açores first: Telefonica ou Groupama.

This leg have been just great

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 05-24-2012

Vor 70

Obviously the weather information displayed is not correct. Telefonica and Groupama that on the weather map have the same wind pressure than the group to the west but a better wind angle are losing time.

Telefonica had done the right thing and changed course to East. If Groupama does not the same is going to be caught by Abu Dhabi and Puma. If they change course maybe they can get the wind we see ahead and go away....if the weather map is correct

If so we would have the situation I have described, Groupama and Telefonica will take the short cut and the others will be looking for more wind to the North.

Interesting

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

By the way, if you on the Volvo page click on "Lisbon, visit the race village" you will be misdirectioned. You will not see the race village, at least yet, but you will see this very nice movie and because it is really a nice movie I will post it here. Have a look:

Last edited by PCP; 05-24-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2012

LuLu.B is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi,

very interesting what you writes about the Comet 41 s Sottovoce. The ship was also offered me. Now, I was told that COMAR had solved the problem. The entire hull was wet, or only the anchor box area? The seller told me that it was only on the anchor chain locker. What do you think of this.
Old 05-24-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu.B View Post
Hi,

very interesting what you writes about the Comet 41 s Sottovoce. The ship was also offered me. Now, I was told that COMAR had solved the problem. The entire hull was wet, or only the anchor box area? The seller told me that it was only on the anchor chain locker. What do you think of this.
The world is small

No, the problem started on the anchor locker and it was by that place that the water entered on the core.

That was the entry place. Obviously the water was on the hull and not only on that place. They are selling the boat cheaply and if the boat is in fact repaired could be a good deal, however I know little about how to repair a boat with water on the core.

Ask on this forum. There are some boat builders and shipyard workers and lots of experienced people around.

If I was you I would talk or ask a Pericia to Luca Marziale. He works for Commar but also independently as a Perito Navale. His link to Comar puts him on a dubious position however I have a very good impression about him. He is very competent and I would say honest too.

I asked him a Pericia on Sottovoce and it was him that detected that the boat had an humid hull. Off course I also had done my homework and understood what he was saying to me and what that data mean regarding the hull.

Ask them exactly how the hull and the core was repaired ask for independent opinions regarding the effectiveness of that reparation and measure hull humidity.

It is a pity. Sottovoce with exception of that is in great condition and it is a beautiful boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-24-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2012

Re: Vor 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Telefonica had done the right thing and changed course to East. If Groupama does not the same is going to be caught by Abu Dhabi and Puma. If they change course maybe they can get the wind we see ahead and go away....if the weather map is correct....
Jesus what are they doing on Groupama!!! they could have a look at this thread. Like I had said, they maintained course .... Telefonica went away and the West group overtake them

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/racetracker/rdc.html
Old 05-24-2012

Russians on the Caribbean

Russians racing a Russian race on the Caribbean.