Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Film from Lidingö Runt

Hi Paulo,

Here´s a short film from the regatta Lidingö Runt, showing some nice boats (among them Elan 350, Aspect 40, X-35, Dufour 36e Performance (Ecolution), Finnflyer 36 (Black Pearl), Seaon 96, First 36.7 (Arken Zoo), Mannerberg 38, Xp 38 and more)!

//Mr W
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012

Re: Halberg Rassy 412: First images

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The boat uses high tech sails and it looks to sail well. It seems that HR continues its progression towards faster and better sailing boats.
It´s interesting to see the HRs´ and Najads´ evolving to more normal sailboats than just big, heavy motorsailors. My mother is on Orust today to pick up her new HR 310, ordered with small bowsprit, Asymetric spinnaker and code 0. Should be interesting to go for a ride on that boat! She sent me some pictures the other day, from the shipyard.

//Mr W
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-v%E5gspel-001.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-v%E5gspel-003.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012

Salona 35

Some pictures of the new Salona 35 sailing:

Looks nice!

//Mr W
Old 05-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Salona 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Some pictures of the new Salona 35 sailing:

Looks nice!

//Mr W
Yes, it looks a very well balanced sailboat. It seems that they have so many orders for it that they are not even very interested in promoting the boat. No publicity on magazines and not even photos on their website

For seeing the boat people have to rely on out side sources like this thread or Blur

Thanks for posting that and the Lidingo Runt movie Nice boats there. I will try to have a look to see if we can have comparative real time performances.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-25-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
It´s interesting to see the HRs´ and Najads´ evolving to more normal sailboats than just big, heavy motorsailors. My mother is on Orust today to pick up her new HR 310, ordered with small bowsprit, Asymetric spinnaker and code 0. Should be interesting to go for a ride on that boat! She sent me some pictures the other day, from the shipyard.

//Mr W
Hei, nice boat

Congratulations to your mother

Give us some impressions about the ride on that HR 310. I bet the boat even if not with performance cruiser performance will sail rather well.

I do really think that it is a very nice boat. Pity the price a bit too high for most of the sailors.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
For seeing the boat people have to rely on out side sources like this thread or Blur
Indeed!

Quote:
Thanks for posting that and the Lidingo Runt movie Nice boats there. I will try to have a look to see if we can have comparative real time performances.
Lidingö runt 2012 offered very shifty and light conditions and I am not so sure the real time performances will be rightous to the boats. Might be useful though to compare boats in the same start. IIRC the wind was stronger during the early starts. What is really cool though is that a Nacra 20 was only 9 seconds behind the Marström M32 on elapsed time (same start group I think)!

//Mr W
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Give us some impressions about the ride on that HR 310. I bet the boat even if not with performance cruiser performance will sail rather well.
I will! They will cruise from Orust, around the south of Sweden and then up to Stockholm during the next 6 weeks, but when they arrive I will try to get a ride.

//Mr W
Old 05-25-2012

Vor70

Super interesting, like a chess play

It seems to me I was wrong about Camper. That move North was a big gamble but they sure new what they were trying to do and it worked out. He is where Telefonica would like to be . Telefonica failed for just some few hours its move and they did not reach the wind they were trying to catch but he seems they are going out of trouble in some few hours.

But Camper is better positioned and will be going to win over Telefonica on the next hours.

The gamble I was talking about regarding two possible different courses is on: Only Telefonica and Camper will risk the shorter route (with less wind). All the others are going North to get more wind.

I still think the shorter is the best option...but more risky.

Ir will be interesting to see who is right and who will pass the anti-cyclone first. That will be half way to victory. This is the more tricky part of the race, the one they can win or lose big time.

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Indeed!

Lidingö runt 2012 offered very shifty and light conditions and I am not so sure the real time performances will be rightous to the boats. Might be useful though to compare boats in the same start. IIRC the wind was stronger during the early starts. What is really cool though is that a Nacra 20 was only 9 seconds behind the Marström M32 on elapsed time (same start group I think)!

//Mr W
Yes, I see what you mean, different time starts and I guess also very different racing performances by the crews. Huge differences in apparently similar boats. well, a fast boat can be badly sailed but a fast boat even with a very good crew cannot go faster than what is physically possible and that at least give us some information.

Anyway that is good only for light wind and no waves conditions. That should give an advantage to the lighter boats and that makes even more noticeable the time of the XP 38 that would be much more at ease with more muscular conditions:

Xp 38 - 02:05:54, faster than two IMX 40 - 02:07:04 and 02:07:40, leaving behind an Arcona 460 - 02:10:30, a Arcona 400 - 02:14:25, a First 40.7 - 02:13:08 and a Salona 37 - 02:15:53.

These guys were competing in ORCI and I assume they were between the best teams.

Yes, the times of some trimarans that departed only 10 minutes later were very good, with special mention to the Nacra F20 Carbon - 01:26:50 and the Seacart 30 - 01:41:16.

The Super Maxy 100ft racer that was the first boat on the water and supposedly the faster was beaten in real time by the little Nacra 20 by a considerable margin I guess that the guys on that big racer should thank the race organization not having the little boat racing along whith them. It would be embarrassing

But when we have a look to the time of cruising trimarans the story is different: a cruising Dragonfly 35 on its faster version (Extreme) only managed 02:31:00, a worse result than the one of a Salona 37 that has much more interior space. I guess that with more wind the story would be different. I guess that for trimarans even more than in monohulls weight is paramount to performance.

As I have said the Xp-38 or the Salona 37 are not light boats if we take as measure top cruiser racers, more used to race than to cruise and the performance was remarkable on this light wind conditions.

I will have a look at some other boats later. If you feel like please comment or add what you like.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2012

Dazcats

Most catamarans today are fat, slow and have lot's of interior space...but not all. I like the ones that are not fat and are fast.

I like Dazcats:

Last edited by PCP; 05-25-2012 at 08:01 PM.