Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Wink Europe warm up: Last test before the Vendee Globe

Groupe Bell, very nice boat. Arriving at Cascais in 6th place. This one going to be one of the main contenders on the Vendee Globe, with Kito de Pavant.

Here, the same boat last year duo sailed going fast:

The race:

http://www.europa-warmup.com/?mode=course

The first leg of the race (Barcelona - Lisboa) was won by Virbac -Paprec with its usual skipper Jean-Pierre Dick that is without any doubt one of the favorites for the vendee.

In second the kid and one that I think is going to be one of the main world sailors, François Gabart with Macif. In third, PRB with Vincent Riou. The 3 first boats arrived very close after many miles racing. That seems a good sign for the Vendee

The first leg:

Last edited by PCP; 05-26-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2012

nemier is on a distinguished road
Re: Dazcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Most catamarans today are fat, slow and have lot's of interior space...but not all. I like the ones that are not fat and are fast.

I like Dazcats:
Hi Paulo,
I like Dazcats too.
But the Cat that really caught my attention last year when I was looking at Cats & Tri's - was the SCAPE 39 Sport Cruiser. Built in SA. Check it out.

39 Foot Sport Cruiser Catamaran

..sorry, I don't have a clue how to post photos
Old 05-26-2012

Scape 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Hi Paulo,
I like Dazcats too.
But the Cat that really caught my attention last year when I was looking at Cats & Tri's - was the SCAPE 39 Sport Cruiser. Built in SA. Check it out.

39 Foot Sport Cruiser Catamaran

..sorry, I don't have a clue how to post photos
That's an interesting one and also a very fast one...but with a very small interior. I guess that the Dazcat offers a better compromise in what regards cruising, at least with the family.

Now for a couple...that is an interesting boat but then you lose the advantage cats have over trimarans (interior space). For the same interior space (and price) I would always prefer a trimaran over a cat

take a look at this trimaran:

http://framsblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.fram.nl/

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2012

Vor 70

That has been a hell of a race. They have changed course plenty times and the moves are quite unpredictable. Just play back the race the last 36 hours and see that weird dance of changing courses. Right now they are all on the anti-cyclone zone and without no wind making ridiculous low speeds.

The first boats that got wind will gain many miles.

It seems to me that would be Abu Dhabi (that seems they have a really advantage) and Telefonica that will be able to recover some of the miles they have lost over the other boats or even overtake them.

Just some hours for them to pick that wind

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center
Old 05-26-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Salona 35

Quote:
Anyway that is good only for light wind and no waves conditions. That should give an advantage to the lighter boats and that makes even more noticeable the time of the XP 38 that would be much more at ease with more muscular conditions:

Xp 38 - 02:05:54, faster than two IMX 40 - 02:07:04 and 02:07:40, leaving behind an Arcona 460 - 02:10:30, a Arcona 400 - 02:14:25, a First 40.7 - 02:13:08 and a Salona 37 - 02:15:53.

These guys were competing in ORCI and I assume they were between the best teams.
I can't say for sure what the reasons were for the good performances of this boat but I can think of a few possible reasons; the Xp 38 is new with new sails which is allways a good thing; it's an advantage to have a high rig in this area which is very close to land (many were probably of the same height in this start group but the First 36.7, Dufour 34 and X-332s, which were the smaller boats in this start, came in last); in these light and shifty conditions it might actually be good to have a heavy boat since they will drift through areas where there is no wind at all.

Quote:
Yes, the times of some trimarans that departed only 10 minutes later were very good, with special mention to the Nacra F20 Carbon - 01:26:50 and the Seacart 30 - 01:41:16.

The Super Maxy 100ft racer that was the first boat on the water and supposedly the faster was beaten in real time by the little Nacra 20 by a considerable margin I guess that the guys on that big racer should thank the race organization not having the little boat racing along whith them. It would be embarrassing
The super maxi should actually, according to the Srs rating, be just slightly faster than the Nacra and significantly slower than the M32 and Seacart. It sure would have been fun to have the Nacra and the maxi in the same start group A reason for the results in the multihull division might be that the Nacra and M32 are light and fast enough to fly a hull and be very fast in these light conditions. The Corsair 36 (which btw lost its mast during the regatta I attended last weekend) is quite heavy (3,7T) and have a relatively high rig in this start field, which might have been good for them. The Dragonfly 28 (3rd place), Corsair 31 (6th place), Dragonfly 25 (7th place) and Corsair 27 (8th place) are allways in top positions, so good skippers I assume.

Quote:
But when we have a look to the time of cruising trimarans the story is different: a cruising Dragonfly 35 on its faster version (Extreme) only managed 02:31:00, a worse result than the one of a Salona 37 that has much more interior space. I guess that with more wind the story would be different. I guess that for trimarans even more than in monohulls weight is paramount to performance.
I saw a picture of the Dragonfly 35 in this race with the asy hoisted with the sheet corner (what is the word for that?) forward on the bow pole, so I guess they don't really know what they are doing

//Mr W
Old 05-26-2012

Re: Dazcats

Quote:
Most catamarans today are fat, slow and have lot's of interior space...but not all. I like the ones that are not fat and are fast.

I like Dazcats:
I really like the concept of the Dazcats as well, though I'm not to fond of the design. I like the more modern design of the southern ocean 47. They claim that the Dazcat 10 used to be their bestseller, so I think it's a shame that they haven't made a new design of this size. They do seem to be fast boats in a breeze

Have you seen the new Broadblue Rapier 550, designed by Darren Newton (Dazcat) and Nic Bailey? Now that looks promising :

Rapier550 | BROADBLUE | The World's Finest Catamarans

//Mr W
Old 05-26-2012

Re: Europe warm up: Last test before the Vendee Globe

Quote:
Groupe Bell, very nice boat. Arriving at Cascais in 6th place. This one going to be one of the main contenders on the Vendee Globe, with Kito de Pavant.

Here, the same boat last year duo sailed going fast:
That is brutal sailing! I can see myself in a Pogo 12.50 on vacation with my family going fast just like that!

//Mr W
Old 05-26-2012

wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

The XP-38 seems to be doing well in europe, and we are enjoying ours.

The Kiel Yacht Clkub Regatta, in both light and heavy conditions they came second in their division, despite poor crew work / errors.

Maior Regatta 2012

In the Lidingö Runt, as already mentioned the XP-38 did well in very light conditions so that is promising.

We've had a mixture of no wind to 35knts in the series we are doing currently, not being profession sailors so learning the new boat but each week we are getting faster so I'm sure at some stage we will get a win.

Certainly the handicapper favors our chances as we give time to some quicker boats (Ringle 39 for instance) even a new X50 only starts a few mins after us
Old 05-26-2012

Broadblue 550 and Maursaudon B525

The Broadblue Rapier 550 is interesting but it is a luxury cat. Sure it would be relatively fast but would not have the same kind of performance as the Dazcats (taken into consideration its size).
You can see that the Rapier 550 is relatively narrow for a performance cat and that interior has to be heavy. But nice concept no doubt, even in what concerns the interior….and anyway I am sure it will be very fast for the kind of luxury it offers.

If we want to find on that size a cat comparable in performance with the Dazcat, or even faster I would point out to the new Maursaudon B525.

I had not posted about it because those guys are able to make some of the fastest and more beautiful monohulls around (racing and cruising) but are unable to post on their site decent pictures.

I have seen other pictures (not on the internet) and I can tell you that the boat is beautiful. These pictures are just too bad and don’t make justice to this cat .

Marsaudon Composites - Chantier Naval - Lorient

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2012

Vor 70

Huge storm on the way. In 2 days in a half it would be here:

I hope the storm will come this way and at this speed, that would give them just the time to get out of the way. An alteration of course or speed can have some worrying consequences. This is a force 11 storm