Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010

Rybcia is on a distinguished road
Comet 26

comet 26 is very fast, how all boats Comet. I swam this boat in this holiday and was the best. If You need some phote I can sent it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2010

Interesting Sailboats-comet-26-genova.jpg
Old 10-08-2010

We produced red boat Comet 26 from Polish customer ( + engine Lombardini 13hp and red uphostery).[ATTACH][ATTACH]Interesting Sailboats-dsc02768.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-dsc02748.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-dsc02753.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
First 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Paulo,
After reading your post, I was drawn to learn more about the First Series. By examining all previous models including 40.7, 42, AND 44.7, I was disappointed to find that the new 40 has a relatively small tankage compared to those of the previous models. I understand that First series in not design for long term cruising. But I like to use for it for cruising with a possibility to sail to Europe and stay there for a couple years.

I am not sure how the hardware used in the new 40 compared to the older ones. From the Beneteau website, the new hull is lighter, stronger and stiffer. Your thought on this is appreciated.
That's a simple one . Regarding price the First 40 compares with the Elan 380 and the Salona 37 (there will be a 38 soon).

The Elan and the Salona have more agreeable interiors (to my taste) and with slightly better quality. The Salona has a steel inox grid to distribute the forces from the keel and shrouds, and that's a very strong point, but has no hull window (the First don't have one also). The Elan offers you an outside view from the salon.

The three are very fast boats, and the First, the fastest. The First has a long list of options (like the others) and can have a supplementary water deposit (95 L). That way the boat has about 300L of water and that's not bad. The boat sai so well in weak winds that I don't think that you will have problems with the diesel tankage (130L).

About the hardware, it depends on the options. The top hardware is very good and even the medium is good.

All tree boats are seaworthy, but the First will be more. It has a very high ballast/displacement, a lot better than the Elan or Salona. It is a very stiff boat (more than the previous model) and it is also a narrow boat. That will give it a comfortable sea motion.

If you can live comfortably in that boat (interior deco and space), than is not only a very good boat for racing but also for cruising, including bluewater cruising. Of course, if you plan to cross te Atlantic with more than two or three in the boat, you will need a watermaker, but that is not a problem.

They now have an option for a teak interior, and that's a big improvement over the standard interior.

Now, if you have the extra USD40000 or 45000 to give for an Elan 410 or a Salona 41...they will be as fast (cruising) and will have a better interior. If you have not, the choice will be between the First 40, the Elan 380 and the Salona 37 (or 38).

If you have any doubt ask and I will try to answer.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2010

Panorama interiors Elan 350; Salona 41; First 30; Elan 31; Dehler 45; XC38

360ļ photos of some of the boats posted on this thread:

First the Elan 350. I have to see if I fit inside this one . The boat is not expensive and I really like it very much. The interior is alright, simple but functional. I don't like that wood, but they have other options:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/elan_350_.swf

The Salona 41 is probably the boat I would buy if Icould find the money for it, providing they put hull ports on the right place. They have the open space for it but it looks someone forget to mount them . The interior is nothing fancy, but it is not bad. I would also prefer other wood (teak) that they have as an option. Anyway It was not by its interior that I would chose this one :

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/salona_41_.swf

The First 30 is a very fast and good looking boat and has a very beautiful interior, even if it seems not to have much storage space:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/first_30_.swf

The Elan 31 seems to have more storage space, but its functional interior it is not as attractive as the one from the First. No hull port and that make a difference, in light and outside view Maybe they put one, if you ask:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/elan310-sal_.swf

The First 35 has a clean interior. Too clean for me . Lots of storage space, but no port hull on the salon. I like a lot more the First 30 interior. Pity they had not followed here the same trend :

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/first35-nav_.swf

The Jeanneau 409 has the better designed interior that I ever saw on a 40ft boat. Look at the outside view. Very cosy

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/jeanneau_409_.swf

The Bavaria 40 interior is really bad. They ruined a good boat with an interior that seems to come from Ikea. Please, get a French or Italian designer for the interior . It is a shame to spoil a boat like that:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/bavaria_40_.swf

The Sirius 31Ds interior is just amazing for the boat size and its quality is really top of the market:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/sirius_310_.swf

More two that are not on this thread, but that could be, because they are interesting and very good boats:

The Dehler 45 has a very plain but good looking interior. That's a lot better than the previous interiors that had a lot of black in it. Looks simple but comfortable:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/dehler_45_s_.swf

And for last a boat that had never beem posted here probably because it pisses me that I cannot afford it (not even on my dreams) . It is just the perfect bluewater boat for a solo sailor. It is not big but has the right size to be easily handled, it is not very fast, but it is fast enough and the interior is just perfect. Good taste, storage and very good quality all-around, that's the X-38Cr:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/xc38_.swf

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2010

Pacer 310; Pacer 376 and Pacer 430

Another small and beautiful boat

This one comes from South Africa and it is the new Pacer 310. The interior design seems good and the boat, as all other Pacers should be very fast.

Pacer Yachts :: Information on South Africa's finest yacht builders for sportboat sailing

Take a look at the also new 430. That is a good looking boat and it seems very fast:

Pacer 430 - Pacer Yachts englisch

and to the "older" 376:

Pacer 376 Cr - Pacer Yachts englisch

Pacer 376 CR Boats for sale UK, Pacer Used boat sales, Pacer Sailing Yachts For Sale Pacer 376 - Apollo Duck

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2010
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
That Pacer 30 is beautiful. My wife and are are in the process of looking at boats now and this thread has been a lot of fun. Seems too bad that some of these designs are not big in the States as many seem to answer all the hopes we have of a boat. Of course some of them we would need to add $0 to our budget, unfortunatly that 0 would have to be added at the end of the number.

But lots of fun to learn about. That Comet would seem to be a huge hit is there was something like that produced in the states. Performance, shallow water ability, can get under bridges into interesting spots etc. Cool to look at though.
Old 10-10-2010

Salona 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
That Pacer 30 is beautiful. My wife and are are in the process of looking at boats now and this thread has been a lot of fun. Seems too bad that some of these designs are not big in the States as many seem to answer all the hopes we have of a boat. Of course some of them we would need to add $0 to our budget, unfortunatly that 0 would have to be added at the end of the number.

But lots of fun to learn about. That Comet would seem to be a huge hit is there was something like that produced in the states. Performance, shallow water ability, can get under bridges into interesting spots etc. Cool to look at though.
Thanks for your imput.

About modern designs on the US market, there is an explanation why you cannot find them .

Last summer when I visited the Salona shipyard I had a nice and interesting conversation with Mr. Kresimir, the president of the managing board of Salona. I have asked him why they have presently no dealer on the States. I knew that the Salona 37 had been elected (on the states) boat of the year (2007) and had received very good reviews by all American specialized press. It appears not to make sense .

http://www.sailingworld.com/article/2007-Boat-of-the-Year-Report

http://www.sailingmagazine.net/boats/3-perry-on-design/316-salona-37

http://www.cruisingworld.com/article.jsp?ID=49377&typeID=397&catID=571

Salona 42 Performance Cruiser : Mini Review - Cruising World

He said that, although the very good press on the 37, they have not sold boats on the States. They have changed their efforts to Japan and Fareast, and they are selling boats there

I guess that US has a very conservative (and small) market and that sailors like you or the ones that have been posting on this thread are just a small minority that does not justify the import of modern fast boats neither their production in the US.

Also, there are a lot less sailors (by population percentage) on the US than on Europe and most of those are not buying new (modern) boats, but just very old and inexpensive boats (used boats). Another factor is that the proportion of new motor boats versus new sailboats, on US is much higher than in Europe and the boats that are selling new are motor boats (expensive), not sailboats.

I hope (and I think) things are slowly changing. The problem has nothing to do with the absence of good boat modern designers on the US (even if they are a small percentage of the ones we have in Europe), but even those, like Farr, or Rodger Martin have no commands from American companies and work mainly for European companies.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2010

Faurby 424

Guys, I don't want to give you the idea that I don't like "Classic" boats, cause that would not be true .

I like them a lot, but for Classic's I don't mean a design made 30 years ago and still in production. I mean modern boats (Modern hull, fin bulbed keel, modern rig) that take as inspiration Classical lines.

I have already posted about the Morris, that is more a day sailer than a real cruising boat, but there are some European boats that are really ocean going cruising boats, not many, but several.

From those there is one that I love very much, so much that probably I would consider having one if they were not so expensive. Surprised? I am serious; It is a fast boat and it has a very comfortable sea motion...and it is incredibly beautiful, with one of the best interiors you can find in any boat. Every-time I see one one a Boat show I don't resist to go inside, seat a while and dream I am a rich guy . Unfortunately all these modern classics are expensive, ant that the reason I don't consider them as an option.

The builder is also the designer and a very experienced sailor. It is a very nice guy that really has a passion for its boats. I have discussed them with him several times, with great pleasure.

Of course, because the boat is narrow, the interior space is more the size of a 38ft boat than the one of a 42ft. But with that quality who needs more? And the boat even have a separated (from the head) shower room.

I am talking about the Faurby 424. Have a look and tell me what you think:

FAURBY 424

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Now that's a nicely proportioned yacht... I'll bet she's a pleasure to sail. I do find the 'staggered' arrangement of the aft berth a bit odd.. suspect it's not really a viable double. I'm not a fan of the newer 'wide open' cabin spaces you see on the Benes with their Ikea Condo-ish look, this one has great handholds and apparently plenty of storage..

Kind of old school 'Swan' in some ways.. down to the sheer stripe!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)