Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1268Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vor70

Groupama sailing team have been in overdrive overnight draining one and a half tonnes of water after their aft ballast tank cracked and spilled its content in the inside of their boat.

Skipper Franck Cammas and helmsman Thomas Coville “paddled” in the aft compartment and drained the water, Media Crew Member Yann Riou reported this morning.

Bowman Brad Marsh was then charged with the repair effort, spending more than three hours, grinder in hand, fixing the busted tank.

Riou said there were still a few finishing touches to be made, but for now the tank was fixed and ready for the final charge to the Leg 7 finish at Lisbon, Portugal.

And while they were draining the water and making repairs THEY KEPT CHARGING FULL BLAST.

They are all over Puma at only 25Nm from Abu Dhabi and managed to increase the distance over Telefonica. The no wind zone ahead seems to be smaller than expected and they should have a decent wind for more 6 to 8 hours, even if the speed starts decreasing.

Camper is also making a great race and is all over Telefonica at 20NM from Puma.

OH BOY, THIS IS GOING TO BE CLOSE!!!! WHAT A RACE!!!

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012

Vor 70

It seems I was right again regarding previsions

with about three hours to go till they have only 10k wind and start to enter that zone with very weak and changing winds that will decide the race, Groupama is side by side with Puma. Telefonica and Camper are at only about 15Nm. Abu Dhaby has that head start of about 10, 15Nm.

The boats more to the North have slightly more wind pressure and the ones to the South will enter just a bit sooner on that difficult low wind stretch but will have a shorter route.

On the next hours the speed is going to diminish first to near 10K than for less than that. Camper and Telefonica, that are almost side by side will approach Groupama. Puma will come to less than 10Nm from Abu Dhabi....and then the race will be decided on the tactics to pass a small patch of sea with almost no wind.

That will start to happen in about three hours and you can follow it almost live on the tracker.

Gentlemen make your bets!!! it is going to be quite a final

Old 05-30-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Re: Halberg Rassy 412: First images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
It´s interesting to see the HRs´ and Najads´ evolving to more normal sailboats than just big, heavy motorsailors. My mother is on Orust today to pick up her new HR 310, ordered with small bowsprit, Asymetric spinnaker and code 0. Should be interesting to go for a ride on that boat! She sent me some pictures the other day, from the shipyard.

//Mr W
Did she ever considered a NAJAD? What considerations she tooked to choose HR? How long does Halber Rassy takes to deliver the boat?
Old 05-30-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I am trying to find coments about LEGEND YACHTS : Legend Yachts UK Dealers

Is there any post here?
Old 05-30-2012

nemier is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Interesting Sailboats

New Catamaran - Aeroyacht Alpha 42
by Gregor Tarjan.

Built in US of A.

Check it out.

Photo Gallery - Aeroyacht

I got my eye on it
Old 05-30-2012

Vor70

Another great movie:

Groupama has been the fastest boat and it is finally at only 10Nm from Abu Dhabi that has lost not much to Puma. Camper and Telefonica are now the fastest boats and are winning to everybody. They are all making between 12 and 14K. In an hour or two they will be happy if they can make 7 or 8 k and the chances are that some of the boats will get in trouble during the night with no available wind.

That is going to be an interesting night for us but a terrible night for some of those guys.
Old 05-30-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
I am trying to find coments about LEGEND YACHTS : Legend Yachts UK Dealers

Is there any post here?
No, sorry about that.

Legend Yachts are the British Hunters:

Hunter Marine products [branded as Legend Yachts in the U.K.] are distributed throughout the world in over 50 countries in Europe, North and South America, the Middle East and the Pacific Rim region. So, whatever part of the planet you cruise, you’re sure to meet others who are sharing the experience of enjoying sailing the Hunter/Legend way.

They are known to use twin keels instead of the wing keel for having a low draft.

I would look on this forum for more information:

Hunter Legend 36 - Yachting and Boating World Forums

Hunter/Legend question...... - Yachting and Boating World Forums

Hunter Legend 40.5 - have you sailed one? - Yachting and Boating World Forums

Legend v Jeanneau - Yachting and Boating World Forums

If you really search you will find lots of information.

I guess that around here, in what regards twin keels, we prefer the RM

Regards

Paulo
mitiempo likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2012

Aeroyacht Alpha 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
New Catamaran - Aeroyacht Alpha 42
by Gregor Tarjan.

Built in US of A.

Check it out.

Photo Gallery - Aeroyacht

I got my eye on it
Well, you are looking to luxury side of things. This one even have teak decks and that is quite astonishing on a cat

The boat as also some interesting features but I don't like the big freeboard and the windage the big cabin will make. I know if you have a bigger interior space you have to have a big volume over the water...

That is a compromise you have to chose and the boat looks nice and interesting.

http://www.aeroyacht.com/wp-content/...ochure-web.pdf

But I confess that for the same type of boat I like more the Aventura 43

Of course I am talking just over designs. I did not saw or know any of the boats.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-30-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2012

Salona 35

I spot a movie with the Salona 35, a very unexpected one.

I knew that Glénans, one of the best sailing schools in Europe had bought several Salona 37 for use as offshore training sailboats but did not knew that they had bought one of the new 35…and a custom one since it has only a wheel instead of two.

Stage Glénans - Force Sète à Marseille por pib-66

These guys on Glénans know a lot a boat sailing and sailing boats and it means something that they chose Salona sailboats for offshore training…specially considering they are French

Old 05-31-2012

Vor70

Awesome race. They are all out of the hook in what regards being stuck in that no wind zone and the night winner was Ian Walker on Abu Dhabi that has managed not only not to lose the advantage he had but managed to increased that advantage.

They are at about 200Nm from the finish and their lateral distance is almost 100Nm

But now the fastest boat is again Grupama. They give a 20Nm advantage to Abu Dhabi over Groupama but frankly I don't understand their maths. The real distance seems a lot shorter to me and Puma is also close.

This is going to be a hell of a finish. I guess that in the afternoon I am going to pick my binoculars and I am going to Cabo da Roca to see the final fight live

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.