Re: Interesting Sailboats

that one is really great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Racer/ cruiser I don´t know, as W pointed out this would be mostly a downwind boat and would have an horrible rating for racing. Now, a solo 40class racer or a boat like the Pogo cruiser (that is a performance cruiser but not a cruiser racer) that is a completely different story and I believe you are right regarding that.

Regards

Paulo
I'm not sure that the rating will be so horrible. I haven't how estimate the rating, but from 3 years I was simulating a scow in my computer with very limited software and I concluded that this desing is the point between a catamaran and a monohull. Sailing upwind the boat works as a catamaran if the wind is over 10 knts and for sure will be fast, sailing downwind works like a windsurf and will be very fast. I found that the advantages of a scow boat are greater in lengs over 30 feets. But it will very slow upwind in less than 8 knots. But I'm only a mechanical engineer, not a naval engineer, so is very probably that I'm wrong.

A Pogo 12.50 with a scow bow and 2 meter longer mast would be a success.
Old 05-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Bath tub boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
I'm not sure that the rating will be so horrible. I haven't how estimate the rating, but from 3 years I was simulating a scow in my computer with very limited software and I concluded that this desing is the point between a catamaran and a monohull. Sailing upwind the boat works as a catamaran if the wind is over 10 knts and for sure will be fast, sailing downwind works like a windsurf and will be very fast. I found that the advantages of a scow boat are greater in lengs over 30 feets. But it will very slow upwind in less than 8 knots. But I'm only a mechanical engineer, not a naval engineer, so is very probably that I'm wrong.

A Pogo 12.50 with a scow bow and 2 meter longer mast would be a success.
That is about what David Raison says about its bath tub bow mini. As you know he is the designer, the builder and the skipper

David Raison, skipper et designer du 747 Teamwork Evolution

As I have said the worst situation for this boat would be upwind with waves. The boat would not only be slow as very uncomfortable.

That is also the worst sailing position for a Pogo 12.50. That bow would make worse and more uncomfortable the Pogo upwind performance and I don't think that would be advisable or desirable.

I believe the next boats with that bow would be 40class racers that are mostly downwind racers like the Minis and on that extra performance downwind and at high wing angles will more than compensate in speed the worse performance upwind with waves or with weak winds.

Regarding performance cruising boats I don't expect bows has radical but the conception that a boat bow has to be absolutely sharp for a fast boat certainly was blown apart and I expect to see some more rounded bows even if not to the extent of this one. Even a slightly rounded bow will represent an advantage regarding cruising space namely space for the anchor winch chain and sail locker and will provide more righting moment to the boat.

I am very curious about the things to come in what regards this innovation on cruising and racing. I hope also that a slightly rounded bow will not look so ugly in a boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-29-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2012

VOR: Incredible Images with a whale on the way

Look how Camper narrowly avoids a whale. Jesus that was a close call!!!

Great news guys, not only the race is HOT as to make things better from now one the race would be practically live:

The tracker normally updates every three hours with each position report, but with the fleet less than 1,000 miles from the Lisbon finish line with just 66 miles splitting first-placed Abu Dhabi to Sanya in sixth, the 2D tracker now update every 60 seconds.

They all go over 20K in a tight pursuit and winning miles over the Farr boat that will not resist long to the superior performance of JK boats on this kind of sea and wind conditions. Look at the speeds: Abu Dhabi is in this conditions 1.5 to 2K slower than the competition. They should catch it in about a day.

But to make things more interesting they will only have these conditions for more 20 or 24 hours, after that they have to negotiate 250Nm with very unstable and weak winds and if they manage to catch Abu Dhabi till they enter that zone it will be the one with a best strategy, the one that will catch first the Portuguese trade winds that will win.

Or maybe we get lucky and have several boats racing alongside to the finish line.

Old 05-29-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road
Re: Bath tub boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That is about what David Raison says about its bath tub bow mini. As you know he is the designer, the builder and the skipper

As I have said the worst situation for this boat would be upwind with waves. The boat would not only be slow as very uncomfortable.

Regards

Paulo
My job I think it was parallel to David's time, only mine is only the work of an amateur. The big difference is that my design has a bow that looks more like the bow of the Melges Scow, ends in a sloping surface that when the boat is heeled functions more like a normal bow, just that leaning forward at the opposite angle to a traditional vertical bow. Sorry, but when mi previous PC died I lost my work, then now I haven't pics to show.
PCP likes this.
Old 05-29-2012

Vor 70

Just look at this drag race All over 20K. What a movie

But I was wrong, Abu Dhabi has been able to maintain the distance to Puma...but Grupama and Telefonica are winning big time over Puma and Abu Dhabi and maintaining the distance between them.

Telefonica is at 10Nm from Groupama, Groupama is at 8Nm from Puma and Puma is maintaining about 30Nm to Abu Dhabi.

They will be charging at this pace for less than 10 hours. That is not going to be enough for Groupama or Telefonica to catch Abu Dhabi but should be enough for Groupama to catch Puma.

Abu Dhabi is making a great race and will start the last play with 10 or 15Nm of advantage over everybody….but that is assuming the same strategy and course and Groupama and Camper are already diving to Lisboa while all the others are still pointing more to the North.

That’s what I have I was talking about two possible courses for the last part of the race: Direct to Lisbon with less wind or more to the North on the Portuguese Coast and then down with the Portuguese trade winds. What is the better route?

Obviously I don’t have a clue, it all depends on the winds they will find (or not) on a very narrow stretch, something like 80 or 100Nm that can decide the winner. They will be weak and variable winds but these boats don’t need much wind to sail. After that they will have a perfect wind to Lisbon.

Of course even if they need little wind, they need some wind…if they fall in a hole without any wind they can stay there for hours and everybody is going to overtake them.

Big play, great race

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

Old 05-30-2012

Vor70

Groupama sailing team have been in overdrive overnight draining one and a half tonnes of water after their aft ballast tank cracked and spilled its content in the inside of their boat.

Skipper Franck Cammas and helmsman Thomas Coville “paddled” in the aft compartment and drained the water, Media Crew Member Yann Riou reported this morning.

Bowman Brad Marsh was then charged with the repair effort, spending more than three hours, grinder in hand, fixing the busted tank.

Riou said there were still a few finishing touches to be made, but for now the tank was fixed and ready for the final charge to the Leg 7 finish at Lisbon, Portugal.

And while they were draining the water and making repairs THEY KEPT CHARGING FULL BLAST.

They are all over Puma at only 25Nm from Abu Dhabi and managed to increase the distance over Telefonica. The no wind zone ahead seems to be smaller than expected and they should have a decent wind for more 6 to 8 hours, even if the speed starts decreasing.

Camper is also making a great race and is all over Telefonica at 20NM from Puma.

OH BOY, THIS IS GOING TO BE CLOSE!!!! WHAT A RACE!!!

Old 05-30-2012

Vor 70

It seems I was right again regarding previsions

with about three hours to go till they have only 10k wind and start to enter that zone with very weak and changing winds that will decide the race, Groupama is side by side with Puma. Telefonica and Camper are at only about 15Nm. Abu Dhaby has that head start of about 10, 15Nm.

The boats more to the North have slightly more wind pressure and the ones to the South will enter just a bit sooner on that difficult low wind stretch but will have a shorter route.

On the next hours the speed is going to diminish first to near 10K than for less than that. Camper and Telefonica, that are almost side by side will approach Groupama. Puma will come to less than 10Nm from Abu Dhabi....and then the race will be decided on the tactics to pass a small patch of sea with almost no wind.

That will start to happen in about three hours and you can follow it almost live on the tracker.

Gentlemen make your bets!!! it is going to be quite a final

Old 05-30-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Re: Halberg Rassy 412: First images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
It´s interesting to see the HRs´ and Najads´ evolving to more normal sailboats than just big, heavy motorsailors. My mother is on Orust today to pick up her new HR 310, ordered with small bowsprit, Asymetric spinnaker and code 0. Should be interesting to go for a ride on that boat! She sent me some pictures the other day, from the shipyard.

//Mr W
Did she ever considered a NAJAD? What considerations she tooked to choose HR? How long does Halber Rassy takes to deliver the boat?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.