Interesting Sailboats - Page 261 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2601 of 6763 Old 05-31-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Vor 70

It would be Abu Dhabi or Groupama to win this one. Both deserve to win in my opinion.

Abu Dhabi is 12Nm closer to the finish but Groupama has a better wind angle and is able to make 1K more. 64Nm to go and that should be about 4 to 5 hours sailing time (they will get weaker winds near Lisbon).

If Abu Dhabi can maintain that 1K deferential in speed they will win with about a 6Nm advantage but on the weaker winds probably the better angle will get a bigger advantage to Groupama and the difference in speed can be more than 1K.

More difficult to Groupama but not impossible. I am leaving to Lisboa to have a better view

Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 | Race Data Center

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2602 of 6763 Old 05-31-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo--we want pictures!

My podium prediction (looking at the live tracker at 11d 01:07:00):

G4
ADOR
PUMA
post #2603 of 6763 Old 06-01-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Vor 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKDexterHaven View Post
Paulo--we want pictures!

My podium prediction (looking at the live tracker at 11d 01:07:00):

G4
ADOR
PUMA
Sorry Mate, no pictures

That was an incredible race and I have to say that some of the better parts were raced in slow motion and would be more interesting to follow in the computer than in real time, particularly that last fight for 4th place between Camper and Telefonica. It was in so slow motion that sometimes they even went backwards with the tide and river flow.

In a way it was a bit not too fair for Telefonica that managed to recover on the last 50Nm 12Nm to Camper. Finaly Telefonica overtook Camper at the river mouth and then the wind disappeared and both boats started an excruciating slow motion race on the river Tejo going upwind and sometimes going backwards with the tide. That was a bit of a lottery, it took several hours to make just a few miles, both boats had the lead for several times and in the end Camper took it.

Regarding the first place I have mixed feelings: Ian Walker resilience to resist for many days to Puma attacks was great. Also the fight they put against Groupama was admirably but notwithstanding that the fact is that Groupama had recovered to Puma on the last 100Nm 18Nm and on the last 50Nm 11Nm, finishing at just 0.4Nm from Puma. That distance is so small that almost for sure if they had not sustained a breakdown the might before, having 1.5T of water sloshing around on the boat and losing speed on account of that, they would have won this race.

An that was the second time since on Itajai leg, had they not broken their mast they would have probably won that race too, race that they finished third under Jury rig.

So, congratulations to Abu Dhabi and Ian Walker for this great victory, one that he deserved already after winning several in port races and congratulations to frank Cammas and Groupama for a well deserved lead on this race.

Contrary to the other teams, Cammas team is composed mostly of Rookies to this race. Some are much more experienced as solo sailors as team crew players. We can say that they have taken their time to perfect their team work but in the space of some months the passed the status of rookies to the status of one of the Favorites for the final victory.

A final word for Puma. They have made a great job at the middle of the race and at that time they were in hot pursuit of Abu Dhabi and it seemed they were going to catch it....and then they start the recovering and start even losing time, not only to Abu Dhabi but also to everybody. They were overtook by Groupama. Telefonica and Camper almost got them. They enter the mouth of the river with less than 2Nm advantage and on the last 50Nm of the race they lost almost 25Nm toTelefonica.

That is too bad to be only due to strategic errors and I assume they have problems with the remaining sails or with sail condition and that can be crippling for the rest of the race. Does anybody now something about this?

The race is better than never. With Telefonica at only 3 points from Groupama, Puma at 9 points from Telefonica and Camper at also 9 points from Puma, everything can still happen in this race and the one that is going to win it is still very much unknown. HOT!!!

DiasDePlaya likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 06-01-2012 at 07:35 AM.
post #2604 of 6763 Old 06-01-2012

Paulo,

Imagine a boat like this but 40' long.

post #2605 of 6763 Old 06-01-2012

Re: Halberg Rassy 412: First images

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
Did she ever considered a NAJAD? What considerations she tooked to choose HR? How long does Halber Rassy takes to deliver the boat?
Hi! I don't think she ever considered a Najad. They have gone bankrupt I think twice in only a few years. And the smallest Najad is 35 feet, I think the HR 310 is very well suited for them. I think they wanted high quality and finish, comfortable interior (they like the "classic" look with lots of wood) but also a boat with "good" sailing performance. They ordered the boat back in June 2011 and could have had it delivered sooner, but sailing season here is only from May to October, so they didn't want it delivered sooner.

Worth to mention is that they also looked at Sun Fast 3200 and Dragonfly 28 but they came to their senes and bought the HR!

//Mr W
post #2606 of 6763 Old 06-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
New Catamaran - Aeroyacht Alpha 42
by Gregor Tarjan.

Built in US of A.

Check it out.

Photo Gallery - Aeroyacht

I got my eye on it
This boat looks a bit like the Alibi 54, only somewhat fatter. A quick look in the specifications confirm that; the Alpha 42 weighs 10.2T and the Alibi 54 only 7T. Huge difference! So this boat will unfortunately probably have performance like the Lagoons and other condomarans

Mr W
post #2607 of 6763 Old 06-01-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Paulo,

Imagine a boat like this but 40' long.

I have checked that and you know, the bow of the Raison's Mini is similar to those. The difference is that the mini has a lot more freeboard and the bow looks a lot fatter on account of that. If you raise that bow more 80cm you will have the mini magnum bow.

Yes I can imagine a 40 class racer with that bow. What I could mot imagine till now is a boat with that bow that would look nice...and I have a big imagination.

But I an sure that with time we all are going to be more tolerant about more rounded bows because I think they are here to stay.

20 years ago almost all considered the big beamy Open boats will large transoms very ugly boats. Today most of us has accepted that aesthetically point of view and we can find them even quite beautiful. I guess that aesthetics are related with performance: fast is beautiful...the problem is that the eyes take some time to get used to new shapes and forms.

Regards

Paulo
post #2608 of 6763 Old 06-01-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Film from Lidingö Runt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paulo,

Here´s a short film from the regatta Lidingö Runt, showing some nice boats (among them Elan 350, Aspect 40, X-35, Dufour 36e Performance (Ecolution), Finnflyer 36 (Black Pearl), Seaon 96, First 36.7 (Arken Zoo), Mannerberg 38, Xp 38 and more)!

LidingoRunt2012.wmv - YouTube

//Mr W
Hei, I found a nicer video of that regatta you raced. It is really a nicely made one. Make me envious of you

Last edited by PCP; 06-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.
post #2609 of 6763 Old 06-01-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Bavaria B one

First images published by Yacht Magazine with a boat test coming soon.

The Farr designed boat looks just great and at that price is going to sell in great numbers. In no time there is going to be a large racing fleet and that means great and fast racing at a low cost, best the best new is that Bavaria is back to sport boats

Specifications

Overall length: 7,00 m
Loa: 7,28 m
LWL: 6.37 m
Beam: 2,49 m
Draft: 0,34 m
Displacement: 1050 kg
Ballast: 370 kg
Main: 21 sqm
Jib: 11 sqm
gennaker Race: 46 sqm gennaker
Cruise: 40 sqm
Designer: Farr Yacht Design

post #2610 of 6763 Old 06-02-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

40class racing in the USA.

On the first big American class 40 duo crewed race (Atlantic cup) there were some surprises, not about the winner, Mares a German boat skipped by Riechers, a boat and skipper that have been winning a lot, but regarding the second place for the American Bodacious Dream, skipped by an old salt, Dave Rearick.

They beat all the French boats. That is even more surprising if we consider that their boat is a NZ designed and made 40class racer and they have not properly 40class races down there.

Race great results on this race makes sense because, as they say, the boat is designed to be a more all around boat and not so specialized on downwind racing, like on transats. So that boat should have an advantage on this race and it certainly proved that on all around conditions it is a very fast boat and can beat most of the boats designed with a more oriented sailing purpose.

Of course, on a Transat with mostly downwind sailing those sailing advantages will turn probably in disadvantages.

Last edited by PCP; 06-02-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.