Paulo,

Imagine a boat like this but 40' long.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Halberg Rassy 412: First images

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
Did she ever considered a NAJAD? What considerations she tooked to choose HR? How long does Halber Rassy takes to deliver the boat?
Hi! I don't think she ever considered a Najad. They have gone bankrupt I think twice in only a few years. And the smallest Najad is 35 feet, I think the HR 310 is very well suited for them. I think they wanted high quality and finish, comfortable interior (they like the "classic" look with lots of wood) but also a boat with "good" sailing performance. They ordered the boat back in June 2011 and could have had it delivered sooner, but sailing season here is only from May to October, so they didn't want it delivered sooner.

Worth to mention is that they also looked at Sun Fast 3200 and Dragonfly 28 but they came to their senes and bought the HR!

//Mr W
Old 06-01-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
New Catamaran - Aeroyacht Alpha 42
by Gregor Tarjan.

Built in US of A.

Check it out.

Photo Gallery - Aeroyacht

I got my eye on it
This boat looks a bit like the Alibi 54, only somewhat fatter. A quick look in the specifications confirm that; the Alpha 42 weighs 10.2T and the Alibi 54 only 7T. Huge difference! So this boat will unfortunately probably have performance like the Lagoons and other condomarans

Mr W
Old 06-01-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Paulo,

Imagine a boat like this but 40' long.

I have checked that and you know, the bow of the Raison's Mini is similar to those. The difference is that the mini has a lot more freeboard and the bow looks a lot fatter on account of that. If you raise that bow more 80cm you will have the mini magnum bow.

Yes I can imagine a 40 class racer with that bow. What I could mot imagine till now is a boat with that bow that would look nice...and I have a big imagination.

But I an sure that with time we all are going to be more tolerant about more rounded bows because I think they are here to stay.

20 years ago almost all considered the big beamy Open boats will large transoms very ugly boats. Today most of us has accepted that aesthetically point of view and we can find them even quite beautiful. I guess that aesthetics are related with performance: fast is beautiful...the problem is that the eyes take some time to get used to new shapes and forms.

Regards

Paulo
Old 06-01-2012

Re: Film from Liding÷ Runt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paulo,

Here┤s a short film from the regatta Liding÷ Runt, showing some nice boats (among them Elan 350, Aspect 40, X-35, Dufour 36e Performance (Ecolution), Finnflyer 36 (Black Pearl), Seaon 96, First 36.7 (Arken Zoo), Mannerberg 38, Xp 38 and more)!

LidingoRunt2012.wmv - YouTube

//Mr W
Hei, I found a nicer video of that regatta you raced. It is really a nicely made one. Make me envious of you

Last edited by PCP; 06-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2012

Bavaria B one

First images published by Yacht Magazine with a boat test coming soon.

The Farr designed boat looks just great and at that price is going to sell in great numbers. In no time there is going to be a large racing fleet and that means great and fast racing at a low cost, best the best new is that Bavaria is back to sport boats

Specifications

Overall length: 7,00 m
Loa: 7,28 m
LWL: 6.37 m
Beam: 2,49 m
Draft: 0,34 m
Displacement: 1050 kg
Ballast: 370 kg
Main: 21 sqm
Jib: 11 sqm
gennaker Race: 46 sqm gennaker
Cruise: 40 sqm
Designer: Farr Yacht Design

Old 06-02-2012

40class racing in the USA.

On the first big American class 40 duo crewed race (Atlantic cup) there were some surprises, not about the winner, Mares a German boat skipped by Riechers, a boat and skipper that have been winning a lot, but regarding the second place for the American Bodacious Dream, skipped by an old salt, Dave Rearick.

They beat all the French boats. That is even more surprising if we consider that their boat is a NZ designed and made 40class racer and they have not properly 40class races down there.

Race great results on this race makes sense because, as they say, the boat is designed to be a more all around boat and not so specialized on downwind racing, like on transats. So that boat should have an advantage on this race and it certainly proved that on all around conditions it is a very fast boat and can beat most of the boats designed with a more oriented sailing purpose.

Of course, on a Transat with mostly downwind sailing those sailing advantages will turn probably in disadvantages.

Last edited by PCP; 06-02-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2012

Bavaria Vision 46

The first real boat test is available on line. It is from Yacht magazine and you have to pay 2€ for it but if you are really interested in a boat this and size and type I believe it will be money well spent. Their tests are quite good. For the little the say about the boat test one line I would say that my suspicion that this boat is different from the other Bavarias is confirmed.

They say:

A Cruising yacht with wow factor

No longer just cheap. Bavaria wants with the vision 46 to satisfy more demanding owners.

I will post some images of that test but I will try to post the ones that seem more relevant to me in what regards that difference, besides being a good looking boat and probably a good sailing boat.

We can see that contrary to what happens to some other boats the space for the Welshman is substantial, that the pods are not central and that they incorporate strong holding bars. It has a huge and neat space for storage and also a neat running rigging. We had also saw previously that the boat had a large galley and a big head.

This boat would be a very good boat for living aboard and if the sail performance is as good as I think it is it will be a slightly different approach regarding other mass production boat builders. The one that it will came close it will be the Jeanneau but this one seems more pointed to a more intensive use compared with the Jeanneau.

Old 06-02-2012

Open 60

While we wait for the in-port race in Lisbon we can have a look at the Open 60 race. They leaved Lisbon some days before the VOR 70 arrived turned around Ašores, turned around the Fastnet rock and are almost arriving to the leg finish at La Rochelle.

Europa Warm'Up

This is the last race, a kind of check up before the Vendee globe. We can take some conclusions: First that is worrying the level of breakage in boats that will have to go around the world non stop: Virbac Paprec after having won the first leg did retired on the beginning of the second leg due to an issue with the hydraulics which drive the keel rams. Groupe Bel dismasted near Ašores.

In 7 boats 2 retired in such a short race. That is a worrying sign for the next Vendee.

Regarding the positive signs he can see that Franšois Gabart, on Macif and Vicent Riou are in great form, as Jean Pierre Dick, at least till he had to retire. The performance of these guys and their boats is very close and they will be favorites on the next BIG race.

Europa Warm'Up

Last edited by PCP; 06-02-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2012

Re: Film from Liding÷ Runt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hei, I found a nicer video of that regatta you raced. It is really a nicely made one. Make me envious of you
Hi Paulo, yes that is a nicer video! So I guess you also saw the video from Orn÷ Runt, last weekends race?

I couldn┤t find time to join my brother on this race, which was sad! They came in on 40th place in total, but won the Arcona 340 class. You can see his Arcona 340 in this film at 3:40 (now that┤s fun, a 340 at 3:40). Fastest keelboat I believe was, not surprisingly, the TP52 3h06m38s. Winner on corrected time (SRS) was a Finngulf 33 (3h55m21s), as usual! Fastest boat around the island was a Seacart 30 (2h34m24s). I┤m always a bit amazed at how these small multihulls can be quicker than a big and extreme (and probably very expensive) TP52 with a huge crew!

//Mr W