Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1234Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: 40class racing in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
They beat all the French boats. That is even more surprising if we consider that their boat is a NZ designed and made 40class racer and they have not properly 40class races down there.
The Kiwi 40FC is indeed a cool boat, Farr yacht design can create fast Class 40s as well! When will the cruising version be available?

Aren´t the newest class 40s quite similar though? One might think the difference in performance has more to do with the skipper than the boat, or what do you think Paulo?

//Mr W
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Re: Interesting Sailboats

My reynolds 21

RobGallagher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 06-03-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Film from Lidingö Runt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paulo, yes that is a nicer video! So I guess you also saw the video from Ornö Runt, last weekends race?

...//Mr W
Yes, but I left it for you to post. I have to say that there are at this time of the year plenty of races around, but the Swedish make the best movies

Regards

Paulo
Mr W likes this.
Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
The Kiwi 40FC is indeed a cool boat, Farr yacht design can create fast Class 40s as well! When will the cruising version be available?

Aren´t the newest class 40s quite similar though? One might think the difference in performance has more to do with the skipper than the boat, or what do you think Paulo?

//Mr W
When a top designer makes top racing boats to top crews, specially for ocean racing they maximize the boat performance to a given set of performances. If the crews are of equal value if the boat finds more time with the sailing conditions for which its performance are maximized it will win. However these are small differences and the crews has to be of equal value.

Riechers had won the race with a boat that is maximized for downwind "normal" transat conditions and I think that it has to do with having a very good boat but mostly with the fact that he is one of the best 40class skippers. The NZ designed boat with two rookies come second not only because it was well sailed (as most of the other boats) but because it is an overall better boat on other conditions than downwind with medium or strong wind.

As I said if those where the prevalent conditions I believe Mare and Riechers would still be the winners but on the second post we would not have the NZ designed boat but one of the French boats.

http://tv.yacht.de/video/J%25C3%25B6...bbec6ea3307cc4

Mare is a beautiful boat and I would like to see a cruising version of that one. The boat even had a great view to the outside from the boat interior, one that permits you to keep an eye on what is happening around when you are on the interior.

That is a Sam Manuard boat. I have a big admiration for this guy. He is an ocean racer that also designs boats. He is good on both counts but specially designing boats. He is a passionate guy.

Regarding your boat and regarding the boats you are considering I think you would not lose your time having a conversation with him regarding your boat and your needs. Among the big French racing community they can get you a nice hull, mast and rigging not for much (considering weight, performance and quality) and they can point you to someone that can get you a practical interior at affordable price. I bet he would understand exactly what you want and would be able to design it.

http://sam.manuard.free.fr/

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Hi, thanks for posting.

The Reynolds cat's certainly deserve a post. Randy Reynolds has the bad luck of being born in the USA in time sailing and particularly sailing performance boats have a low demand. If he was an European certainly its boats would be in production and his name would be a familiar one.

The boat posted above, the Reynolds 21 was an incredibly advanced boat for its time. 50 of these boats were produced between 1978 and 1979, more than 30 years ago. Reynolds designed that boat when he was 22 years old

After some years dedicated to windsurfing, in 2000 he tried to produce an innovative and fast 28ft trimaran but other than the prototype (that was able to do 19k speed in 22k wind) no other boat was made. Then he made the R33. Some boats where made, the boat is very difficult to beat racing but the production still remained almost confidential.

Now he has a new 44 cat design with real cruising potential, a bit like a Pogo is to the other cruising monohulls, I mean regarding other cats. This one will be an easy 20k boats. I hope some of you guys can see the potential of the boat not only for racing but also for cruising. I guess Reynolds deserve that.

Reynolds Sailing Catamarans and multihulls, boat builders and dealers of sailboats specializing in catamarans. Current boats for sale is the trailerable R33 cat and R50 cat designed by boat designers Randy Reynolds and Morrelli and Melvin.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2012

Hunter 22 and Astus 20.2

Two new boats tested by Yacht magazine and with a test movie to have a look:

The Hunter 22, an inexpensive daysaler from Hunter, a boat that sails well and that has in price its main advantage:

Movie:

Ungewöhnlich anders: Hunter 22 - Yacht TV - Segel-Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

And the Astus 20.2, the little sister of the Astus 22. I like a lot the Astus 22 and the idea of a coastal fast and inexpensive foldable camping boat. The 20.2 has the same program but it is even less expensive (20.480 €).

vidéo de l'ASTUS 20.2 Sport en navigation à la... por astusboats

Movies:

Einsteiger-Tri Astus 20.2 im Test - Yacht TV - Segel-Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

http://www.astusboats.com/astusboats...le-loisirs.php

They are planning a bigger boat for next year, one that would be more than a camping boat. It sure looks good

Last edited by PCP; 06-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

Paulo,

The actual projects from Randy Reynolds are here:

Reynolds Design
Old 06-03-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

Another interesting boat build in Argentina and designed by Juan K.

http://www.martinolimarine.com/K37CR2011.pdf
Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Paulo,

The actual projects from Randy Reynolds are here:

Reynolds Design
Nice, thanks for posting. They have a video on the 45. The boat looks even better:

Regards

Paulo
Old 06-03-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That is a Sam Manuard boat. I have a big admiration for this guy. He is an ocean racer that also designs boats. He is good on both counts but specially designing boats. He is a passionate guy.

P.S. Paulo, have you posted about Baltic Yachts http://www.balticyachts.fi

Last edited by G1000; 06-03-2012 at 05:38 PM.