Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1240Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: 40class racing in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
<...

P.S. Paulo, have you posted about Baltic Yachts Frontpage 2010
I don't think I had, except a movie of one of their boats if I recall correctly. Feel more than free to post about them. They are great boats.

Meanwhile a small movie to remember that the 2012 Round the Island Race will start in 26 days and has already 1590 entries

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2012

Sam Manuard

And since G posted Manuard on the shipyard making boats, I will post one of Manuard racing in one of his boats and getting a remarkably good result on the biggest French Transat, the Route du Rhum (2010).

He arrived 4th on its 40class boat competing against more than 40 other class40 skipped by some of the best French solo sailors. That time he beat Riechers that come in 6th place on a Owen Clarke Design.

Now Riechers on a Sam Manuard boat is the man to beat

As a sailor he is a complete and multi talented one. One year later he won the transat Jaques Fabre (Transat) on the Multi 50class (with le Blevec).

Last edited by PCP; 06-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2012

K37cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Another interesting boat build in Argentina and designed by Juan K.

http://www.martinolimarine.com/K37CR2011.pdf
The boat looks just great. Pity the interior doesn't look that good but it can be just a prototype or bad quality pictures.

weighting only 4900 kg I bet that boat is really a very fast one. Of course a really cruising version with a smaller draft (2.10/2.20) would weight more 300kg or so. Anyway it still would be a light boat.

I bet it is also a boat with an overall good performance, a very well balanced boat. The beam looks big (because it is all aft) but in fact it is moderated, the same beam that a Xp38 has about the same om a Salona 38.

Do you know the price?

Best regards

Paulo
Old 06-04-2012

Mini class Racers

Of course Manuard started racing and doing his own boats when he was younger an racing in the Minis. He got several overall victories and some leg victories. The minis, has David Raison and its bath tub showed, are just an incredible place were young sailors and designers can prove their tallent.

One of the biggest innovations on the next mini-transat is going to be a boat built by Isotop with the DSS system. The boat is designed by Hugh Welbourn, the designer that created that system and it will be a revolution as big as the bow tube....providing it works

The boat with the help of a lateral foil, perpendicular to the boat will generate more dynamic stability and generating RM that way they don't need so much hull stability and the boat would be a lot less beamy than the other Minis with a much smaller wet surface (11m2 to 7m2) and that has obviously advantages.

I talked already about the DSS experiences and about the boats designed by Hugh but I cannot get any images on internet of that mini design. If someone can please post them. While we wait, some other designs with the DSS system:

Don't miss this:

http://www.classemini.com/modules/ka...S_seahorse.pdf

http://www.dynamicstabilitysystems.c...ysailPartI.pdf

DSS - Dynamic Stability Systems - the revolutionary retractable foil keel technology for monohull yachts and boats

Last edited by PCP; 06-04-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2012

motorcat is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Trials summary -
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-dscf4444_d.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Mini class Racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I talked already about the DSS experiences and about the boats designed by Hugh but I cannot get any images on internet of that mini design. If someone can please post them.
No sailing pictures, but better than nothing!

Article for anyone who reads french. I don´t so please summarize!:
http://www.classemini.com/modules/ka...nuary_2012.pdf

I think there is a rather new article in Voile et Voiliers, but I´m not a member so I can´t read it (well, I still don´t read french so that doesn´t matter):
Dominique Pédron, constructeur du premier Mini 6,50 à foil : «Sur le papier, un mini à foil est plus rapide à toutes les allures !» - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

//Mr W
Old 06-04-2012

Re: Mini class Racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
No sailing pictures, but better than nothing!
I think there is a rather new article in Voile et Voiliers, but I´m not a member so I can´t read it (well, I still don´t read french so that doesn´t matter):
Dominique Pédron, constructeur du premier Mini 6,50 à foil : «Sur le papier, un mini à foil est plus rapide à toutes les allures !» - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

//Mr W
Thanks W. This thread is becoming a lot better. I really appreciate your contributions. I hope you (G and all the other posters on this thread) can keep up the spirit and the thread alive when I am gone away in a week or so.

I have read the article on Voile and Voiliers (paper magazine) and they did not say much. I found the article you have posted from "Bateau" more interesting.

I will try a short resume:

Dominique Pedron is the chief executive of ISOTOP a very specialized firm the make foils and rudders mostly for racing boats. The guy like naval architecture and in 2008 heard about the DSS system. He had already worked with Hugh on a big racing trimaran (foils and rudders) and appreciated the team work.

In 2009, Pedron, that thought the principle make sense, just for the fun of it started to build a mini designed by Hugh with the DSS system.

This is a very different mini. A regular one has about 3m beam. This one has only 1.85m.

Le DSS foil works inside a waterproof box and move from on side to the other. All is in carbon.

The system works differently from a bulb in a keel. while the bulb on a keel makes force to right the boat, this system holds the boat. Quite the opposite.

Gordon Kay that has a partnership with Hugh says that the DSS boats are not only safer but more comfortable because the foil works like a damper.

Then you have the opinion of tho great NA, Marc Lombard that says he is not convinced. He says that the drag is going to be huge and that the system will only work well in flat water when it is parallel to the surface. With waves there is going to be a strong incidence variation on the angle and the drag will increase exponentially.

Daniel Andrieu, the designer of the Sunfast 3200 is more cautious. He says : he have to try it

Well I would say one thing. This one is almost as ugly has the Raison's bathtub....and I agree with Andrieu : It deserves to be tried even if what Lombard says makes sense.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-04-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2012

Vor 70

Nice recap

Last edited by PCP; 06-04-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road
Re: K37cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The boat looks just great. Pity the interior doesn't look that good but it can be just a prototype or bad quality pictures.

weighting only 4900 kg I bet that boat is really a very fast one. Of course a really cruising version with a smaller draft (2.10/2.20) would weight more 300kg or so. Anyway it still would be a light boat.

I bet it is also a boat with an overall good performance, a very well balanced boat. The beam looks big (because it is all aft) but in fact it is moderated, the same beam that a Xp38 has about the same om a Salona 38.

Do you know the price?

Best regards

Paulo
US$300.000 FOB Argentina without sails and ropes.

I'm waiting for more information from the shipyard.
Old 06-05-2012

Mini RG650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
US$300.000 FOB Argentina without sails and ropes.

I'm waiting for more information from the shipyard.
Well, it was to be expected. This kind of boats light and with a big ballast ratio are expensive to built.

An Argentinian one that I find to be delivered in the USA at an incredible good price is this one:

It is also a Argentinian boat designed by G yacht design (Hey G, are you designing boats now)?.

The boat, a mini class racer with canting keel and all is purposed for USD 40000 delivered on the US East coast as a kit to be mounted.

Featuring the RG650

Even so it would not be difficult to adapt this boat for doing some cruising besides racing.

I find it a good looking boat and certainly it can go fast:

RG 650

G Yacht Design

Do you know more about this one? Any interest among Argentinians in what regards solo sailing and particularly mini racing?

They are having success with the boat?

Regards

Paulo