Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Jose, recién hable con el dueño del barco que es amigo personal. Me comenta que el mismo "fue" diseñado para correr en IRC asi que se supone sería su mejor situación. Yo le voy a consultar a Juan K pero además Lucas, que es el dueño del barco lo va a hacer medir la semana que viene porque quiere tenerlo medido para alguna regata futura.
Un abrazo.

Juanpa
The K37CR was designed to race under IRC formula and will be measured next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
G yacht Design

I never heard about it before but after seeing that mini, that seems to be a great design, I had a better look at their work.

G yachts is basically Nicolas Goldenberg. He is almost a kid in what regards the age of most NA (29 year's old) but has already some very nice designs. It seems that the bigger ones were made by him but while working to a major Italian NA firm. He does not name it. I guess that he is still being commissioned by them

Nicolas was born in Argentina in 1983, linked to sailing from a young age he decided to pursuit his dream of becoming a naval architect. After his graduation from Southampton Institute (UK) he continued his development as a naval architect in a very prestigious Italian yacht design office.

I really like his boats that go from Minis to Class 40 to more classical cruiser racers. Very nice boats. This guy is good One more a on a long tradition of Argentinian Na.

Old 06-05-2012

K 37cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
The K37CR was designed to race under IRC formula and will be measured next week.
well, since you know the guys keep us posted about the boat racing performance

Regards

Paulo
Old 06-07-2012

Nathanaël G. Herreshoff: Fin keel boat and cats

One of my last posts if not the last of this season and I want it to be special and what can be more special that the most innovative architect ever : Nathanaël Herreshoff

I hope the guys from voile and voilers don’t mind that I post here some of their images, after all I am sending you guys to their pages and their very good articles, one about Herreshof, other about the first cat designs and boy, they are not only innovative but beautiful.

First Herreshof: Look at this baby, Dilemna, 11,58m, 1891, Fin keel and a bulb with a ruder well on the stern.

And even more incredible, his cat, a modern cat if we discount the rig: John Gilpin, 9.75m, 1877.

of course, they kick out this one from racing. Forbidden boat. Too fast and too modern

You can read a very good article here about Herreshoff , on voile and voiliers:
Nathanaël G. Herreshoff, le plus grand architecte naval de tous les temps - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

But the surprises don’t finish here. Just look at these not so well known designs:

Dominion, 10,83m 1898 designed by Herrick Duggan

Hades, trimaran, 16,75m, 1902, designed by Crowninshield

And a cat with a rigid sail designed by Lewis Herreshoff back in 1948.

You can read a great article here on Voile and Voiliers, the one from where this images were taken:
L

Also here a very interesting one about the Polynesian Proas and cats:
L

Well, use the Google translator and have a good read. Certainly these are interesting articles.

Last edited by PCP; 06-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2012

Please guys, post at will. I am posting this already from Italy. Don't have the time to make decent posts but I will be looking at this thread when I can. Just will not be the main poster anymore...for a while. That's your turn

Regards to all

Paulo
Old 06-11-2012

Don't worry Paulo, we will wait for you!
Old 06-18-2012

Sirs,

This is the new Kuka Light!

Philosophy | kuka-light

Old 06-23-2012

Nice, even if I doubt they can beat a full crewed Ker 40, at least if half of the time is upwind sailing. With nasty weather and upwind the ker would be much faster and a lot less stressfull.

Thanks for posting, it is a very interesting boat designed by one of the hottest new design cabinets : Schickler Tagliapietra

Just look at some of his other designs….nice:

Schickler Tagliapietra | IRC and Box-rule Archive

The KuKa is a kind of super class 40, an open 40 with foils and canting keel. It has a big beam and is light, very light, with not a big ballast ratio but with a huge draft to compensate:

Length 12.80 mt
beam 4.60 mt
Draft 3.50 mt
Displ (light) 3'200 kg
Upwind SA 116 mq
Downwind SA 218 mq

They say about the boat:

The project began with a simple set of parameters:
• Capable of Rolex Middle Sea Race and Rolex Fastnet Race, together with other ocean courses of comparable length.
• Monohull sloop around LOA 12.9 m, but final size dependent on build facility limits.
• No regard for rating whatsoever.
• As light as possible, period.
The initial discussions centered on weight and what “no rules” really means. The IMOCA 60’s were often used as a reference. It was decided that achieving Design Category A for the purposes of CE/ISO certification and ISAF OSR Category 1 was appropriate. This would make the boat a proper ocean racer, just a level below the deep trans-ocean racing of the IMOCA’s. A transatlantic race will likely still be attainable for this boat, with some upgrades.
Options to achieve the lowest possible weight initially touched on the simplicity of the design:
• Canting vs. fixed deep draft keel
• Fixed mast vs. rotating wing mast
The power to weight of the canting keel proved unbeatable with technology today, for the regattas in question. The efficiency of the rotating wing mast, enhanced by a boat that would sail more like a catamaran than like a fixed keel mono, was too attractive to be ignored. …

To get the lowest possible weight of the primary hull and deck laminates and unprecedented approach was taken. We decided to build the port and starboard sides, the central hull, and the deckhouse and cockpit each in the largest diameter autoclave available to us. This gives access to huge pressures during cure and allows one to choose prepreg’s with far higher fibre to resin ratios than is normally possible. This is exactly the kind of construction techniques ruled out in the America’s Cup, the VOR, and even IMOCA yachts, except for the masts and appendages. Because we were working at a reasonable scale, the costs were not explosive. The weight savings were unattainable any other way. It goes without saying that bowsprit, foils, and mast would also be produced in this same hi-tech fashion.

To capitalize still further on the lightest techniques possible, core material from aramid honeycomb was chosen. It is truly super core, with properties that allow the designers to reduce weight still further. Aramid cores, though hard to master, have higher stiffness and strength than conventional foam cores, but at about ½ the weight per square meter.

.. The primary focus was how hard the boat could be driven. Deck immersion in waves was considered to be a crucial factor. If it was possible to reduce deck immersion and heeled drag at the same time, all the better. In the end, this study showed the value of rocker, as much as it did volume distribution forward of the mast.

.. As it stands, if Kuka were an IMOCA 60, it would be 15% lighter than the nearest competitor. There is nothing like it on the race course. It is wide for its length, 4.6 m wide for 12.7 m LOA. It is has a considerable sprit and an upwind sailplan almost exactly the same as a Class 40, at a fraction of the lightship weight. Kuka has been a unique project, the best challenge we have been presented with to date, and likely for the foreseeable future.

Doug Schickler – ST Yacht

The boa tis going to make the Fastnet and I really want to see what he can make against the ker 40.

I am at Sant'Andrea Marina fitting out my boat and there are some interesting boats that makes this place their home: Among them some big Swans and the Silver Chiller, an interesting all carbon Corsair 37, a famous boat and winner of many races:

SILVERCHILLER | Corsair 37 RS Carbon Trimaran

Old 06-25-2012

Bavaria Vision 46 and Archambault 27

Two of the best designed boats that come recently to the market: A cruiser and a fast daysailer, on the videos of Yacht magazine:

Bavaria Vision 46: Ist die Neueste auch die Beste? - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

Archambault 27: Rasender Daysailer mit Tourergenen - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin
Old 06-27-2012

Vor 70

Very nice movie about the 8th leg of the race:

Cammas and his team are no longer the rookies of this race, but the probable winners. And with this victory Cammas joins the legendary French sailors and has deserved a place side by side with Tabarly.

What impresses me most, beside the very different sailing categories and type of boats in which he excels is that he is so young to have won so much.

When he skippers a crew, on the Volvo, or in the Jules Verne Trophy, he is always one of the younger guys. That is not natural, the captain is normally among the older and more experienced.

Believe it or not, he opted for sailing as a career leaving behind is other passion, music: He is also a classical piano player.

Cheers to him. He was my unconditional admiration

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.