Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1236Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Mod 70

The race: New york - Brest

Le "Prof." is leading:

Race tracker - Krys Ocean Race

Last edited by PCP; 07-08-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2012

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Another boat test with a nice movie on the Grand Soleil 39, this time a British one by Yachtingworld and you know what? Toby Hodges says about what I have been saying about this boat: it is a great boat!

Nimble, beautiful with and easy sea motion and a good cruising interior it will be a delightful boat to sail and will make proud any owner. It is not cheap but if you have the money for it don’t miss a test sail: Sailing and living with style, a fast elegant and comfortable style is its motto.

Actually, it was a poor review for the new GS. I've always respected Hodges' reviews and test comments very much. In this case, he is far from describing a delightful boat to sail, and ends the article with disappointment. Even the editor picked up on the tester's caution, puting sucha a title and using terms as "humbled at the Hamble". Anyone with a deposit must be picking up the phone right away after reading the YW article. I'm sure the factory will address the helm issues pointed out.

Regards to all,

Hans
Old 07-09-2012

Round the Island Race

About a week ago take place one of my favorite races, the Round the Island Race, a race that reunites professionals, amateur racers and cruisers that make a point of making this one.

1647 boats started the race.

Just look at the images:

Old 07-09-2012

Grand Soleil 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post

Actually, it was a poor review for the new GS. I've always respected Hodges' reviews and test comments very much. In this case, he is far from describing a delightful boat to sail, and ends the article with disappointment. Even the editor picked up on the tester's caution, puting sucha a title and using terms as "humbled at the Hamble". Anyone with a deposit must be picking up the phone right away after reading the YW article. I'm sure the factory will address the helm issues pointed out.
Regards to all,
Hans
I don’t understand how you get that impression. The boat tested was the one with the performance package, the racers version, with a bigger mast and more sail, a more nervous boat to maximize performance with a crew and even so:

Out of her element?... She certainly looks every bit the Italian performance cruiser. She has minimum wetted surface, a deep T-keel and a high ballast ratio to support a large sail area…but how she would cope in our less hospitable waters?

…The newspapers were saying that the UK was colder than Iceland with a force 5-6 blowing from the Northeast.

…Despite being what I consider to be a classic Med design, The GS 39 surprised me here by coping with these conditions admirably, pointing high, keeping good speed and most notably not slamming on the shop…provide a soft and comfortable ride through the waves.

..The close-hauled romp back into Southampton waters was enjoyable and spirited giving us the taste of the agility she promises in flat water, but once again, it paid to be quick with the sheets in a gust , as there is little warning of a rounding up.

The only negative comment he makes is about a too neutral steering and off course that is debatable. Like on a sports car if you have a very sensitive steering you have to watch out not spin the car but if you can handle it the pleasure, effectiveness and swiftness are all positive points. I guess that it is a boat that needs time to adapt too. Anyway that makes it a better racer.

Regarding what you say: "humbled at the Hamble"

They say exactly the opposite:

“Humbled off the Hamble”. Yes I know the English just phrase things oddly
I have read several boat tests of this boat and all said very positive things about it. It would be odd if the British, never minding their more conservative stance, said otherwise.

It is worth to point out the excellent stability curve of this boat with an unusually huge positive stability and very small inverted stability. The AVS is in concordance with that: Almost 140º.

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-09-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Great videos. Beautiful boats. Got my blood flowing this morning.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 07-09-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road

Does any of you know these brasilian yachts?

Redirecionando...
Old 07-09-2012

Wind 34

No it comes as a complete surprise and the boat looks good…Now the information they give is very scarce and bad: No boat design drawings, no technical characteristics, not a word about the way the boat is built…and everything in Portuguese.

Well, I have not a problem with that but if they want to sell the boat out of Brazil better to have not only decent information but also that information in Spanish and English as well.

Thanks for posting. It seems very interesting. Do you know how many boats they have produced?

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-09-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road

It was a surprise for me.

I agree with you about the information is very scarce.

I go often to Brasil, but seems that their market is more directed for motorboats.

Jeaneau and other brands have dificults to sale their products to this country because this country has a lot of taxes.

Thats all i know.

Regards
Old 07-09-2012

Re: Grand Soleil 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don’t understand how you get that impression. The boat tested was the one with the performance package, the racers version, with a bigger mast and more sail, a more nervous boat to maximize performance with a crew and even so:

Out of her element?... She certainly looks every bit the Italian performance cruiser. She has minimum wetted surface, a deep T-keel and a high ballast ratio to support a large sail area…but how she would cope in our less hospitable waters?

…The newspapers were saying that the UK was colder than Iceland with a force 5-6 blowing from the Northeast.

…Despite being what I consider to be a classic Med design, The GS 39 surprised me here by coping with these conditions admirably, pointing high, keeping good speed and most notably not slamming on the shop…provide a soft and comfortable ride through the waves.

..The close-hauled romp back into Southampton waters was enjoyable and spirited giving us the taste of the agility she promises in flat water, but once again, it paid to be quick with the sheets in a gust , as there is little warning of a rounding up.

The only negative comment he makes is about a too neutral steering and off course that is debatable. Like on a sports car if you have a very sensitive steering you have to watch out not spin the car but if you can handle it the pleasure, effectiveness and swiftness are all positive points. I guess that it is a boat that needs time to adapt too. Anyway that makes it a better racer.

Regarding what you say: "humbled at the Hamble"

They say exactly the opposite:

“Humbled off the Hamble”. Yes I know the English just phrase things oddly
I have read several boat tests of this boat and all said very positive things about it. It would be odd if the British, never minding their more conservative stance, said otherwise.

It is worth to point out the excellent stability curve of this boat with an unusually huge positive stability and very small inverted stability. The AVS is in concordance with that: Almost 140º.

Regards

Paulo

These are the quotes which set a warning tone for me:

"Unlike other recent Grand Soleil models, this boat had so far deprived me of that instant gratifying sensation on the wheel; it felt too neutral. With just the mainsail, we rounded up – not surprising without the balance of a jib – but it then happened again, not once but numerous times during our trial with no warning from the rudder."

From the conclusion:

"The GS39’s high ballast ratio and tall rig equals power. I know we were really putting her through her paces, but I’d like a bit more authority over that power personally, rather than the skinny foils Maletto designs for America’s Cup boats."

"It’s a trade-off those looking for a performance edge must get used to – like a tuned-up family sports saloon, the 39 has plenty of grunt, but if you turn traction control off, a spin out is more likely. So you need to helm on numbers, not feel – and there wasn’t any of either – to drive the test boat with her rig set-up in the conditions we had. It must be remembered, though, that there were only three of us aboard to sail this brand new boat for the first time in 25 knots."

"But she failed to endear herself to me and seemed a bit stuck between fulfilling a racing and a cruising brief."

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an awesome machine, and a very desirable one, but this Hodges is clearly pointing character traits which to performamce cruisers, may also be seen as defects.

It's interesting that as readers, we got very different impressions. Hey, maybe we need an Englishman to settle! But to say the least, it validates that Toby Hodges and YW reviews are serious, objective, transparent, and if there are some real concerns to point out about a tested yacht, they will not compromise and say it like it is.

Regards,
Hans
Old 07-09-2012

Oh! i just realized you're now an Italian boat sailor! I'm calling you outright biased!!!. How's that Comet behaving lately? Hope you enjoyed your cruise!