Re: Interesting Sailboats

Parabens pelo barcăo novo Paulo!

Very nice boat!
Old 07-30-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
I saw Bavaria web site. There are some interesting videos to see about the new Vision 46 with BAVARIA producer manager, and the new features on this boat, in my opinion are very well planed.

I think that other brands should look to this and try do the same. With " less money" you find there a motivation to buy this boat.

When i say " less money " i mean this brand is in general cheaper.

Nordics brands ( HR, Najad, Nautor Swan, X-Yachts and etc...) just announce new models with their scandinavian high-quality building, but we don't see the implement of new features that can help solo sailors.

Bavaria improved their design. But how does these boats behave in blue water passage making?

Another brand announcement is Hallberg-Rassy with is new 55, that will replace the 54. Cockpit is similar to the 412

Hallberg-Rassy - Yachts - Center Cockpit Boats
Yes, I think the Bavaria Vision is a better boat in what regards bluewater cruising than the "normal" cruising version and a boat that can be adapted to extensive cruising.

But I don't agree with you in what regards HR not implementing new features that permits the boats to be solo sailed. Fact is that even the big ones can be solo sailed.

Recently a lady journalist tested for Yachting world the HR 64 and she solo sailed the boat and as you can see the conditions were demanding.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2012

bb74 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the sled PCP. Looks like a nice hull shape overall for all point sailing. Glad to hear you finally found a boat for your travels and it sure beats the standard "plastic is fantastic" rigs from the majors.

Never sailed on one but have done a walk-around and looked to be nice. Inside it looks fairly small for a 40 but with 2 and the occasional friends, not a problem I imagine.

Enjoy yourself out there!
Old 07-31-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the updates and pics, Paulo. Beautiful boat! I suspect the motoring performance can be improved with a differrent prop. The challenge will be to get the increased performance without overworking the 40hp engine. I am sure this has already been addressed by other Comet 41 owners.
Happy sledding!
Old 08-08-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

I just can't handle this thread sitting here sad and alone while Paulo is off cruising in his sweet new boat. So, as I am here in the great white north and pilot houses are definitely on my list of possibilities, lets check out the new proposed offering from Sirus, a new 40 footer they are planning to splash in 2014. They are proposing many different configurations and asking customers and others to voice their opinions on what they would want. Here are a few drawings...

and

Sure would be an ideal boat for up here in Alaska and beyond. Here is the writeup from Sirus on the planning of the boat.

Sirius-Werft Pln | 40 DS | 40 DS

Come on everyone, lets get some new boats up here and keep this thread going strong!
Old 08-09-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Dragonfly 32

Hi Paulo,

You seem get on quite well! I´m glad to hear you´re satisfied with your boat, it looks fantastic!

I haven´t posted in a while, I´ve been mostly away for more than a month now. Made one trip to Denmark to test sail the new Dragonfly 32, which I´ve posted about earlier. It was launched in late June. Here is a little video (Yep, that´s me by the tiller!):

The boat is really nice, feels very big for a 32 footer. We had light winds during the test sail, around 8-10 knots of wind. We seemed to go as fast as the wind during the whole test sail. In a gust the wind increased to about 12-14 knots. Top speed of the day, during this gust, was over 13 knots.

As I said, it´s a big boat and also heavy for a trimaran. Around 3,400kg I think, and this requires a lot of sail. While reaching we used mainsail (57sqm) and code 0 (68sqm). You could really feel the raw power when the gust hit.

We sailed for about 1,5 hours, Jens from Dragonfly did most of the sail handling. The solution for the main sheet and track was a bit tricky, with both lines lead to the same winches. I would probably try to find another solution for this. Where I sail we have very shifty wind angles and need to sheet in/out a lot and also change sheet postition on the track. Otherwise there was not much to complain about. Of course the boat is not as lively as some lighter/less comfortable trimarans.

The interior is huge compared to other trimarans, about the same size as the Dragonfly 35 and a lot bigger than the Dragonfly 28. Very nice solutions, I would choose teak trim instead of maple though. Makes me think of cheap furniture from IKEA...

I haven´t yet had time to test sail my mothers new HR 310, but when I do I will write about it as well!

Cheers!

//Mr W
Old 08-09-2012

Comet 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Congrats on the sled PCP. Looks like a nice hull shape overall for all point sailing. Glad to hear you finally found a boat for your travels and it sure beats the standard "plastic is fantastic" rigs from the majors.

Never sailed on one but have done a walk-around and looked to be nice. Inside it looks fairly small for a 40 but with 2 and the occasional friends, not a problem I imagine.

Enjoy yourself out there!
Thanks bb74,

I am still discovering the boat slowly since I am sailing only with my wife that for the first time is trying to learn something about sailing and I don’t want to scare her off.

Yes the boat is a very good upwind boat (if we consider modern relatively beamy boats). It is not beamy for a modern 41ft (3.9m) and has nice fine entries. Two days ago to the despair of my wife (that got seasick) I had the opportunity to see how the boat performed close upwind: 20 to 25 headwinds, sea 4 with those nasty 1.5/2m short waves that come one after the other. I sailed all the time close winded (less than 30 apparent) and the boat was doing 5.5 on GPS against a strong current (maybe 6 or 6.5 over the water), without slamming.

In what regards my needs it come out with flying colors. I had a certain tendency to go against the wind, I never understood why, and I really wanted a boat that could do better than the Bavaria or that kind of mass production cruiser boats. They are overall good sailing boats except on these conditions. My Bavaria that had a big draft, top cruising sails and a performance rig would not make more than 3.0/3.5K on those conditions and slammed a lot. These boats have not just the power to cope with the conditions. I guess that was the reason that on that day and on that heading I was the only boat sailing.

Regarding space, well, in what regards the size of the saloon you are right. I would say this is a 4 person boats, with maybe more two kids, but the galley is big and the storage space is amazing. Just to give you an idea on the forward sail locker I have a storm jib and a 135% genoa plus 6 fenders. On the stern big locker I have more two fenders and a lot of spare space.

On the interior the storage space and the distribution of the weight is also very good. The battery bank is on the center of the boat, over the keel and on top of it has storage space and a seat and the two big water tanks are on the back of the boat leaving lots of storage space ahead. The chain locker has 75m of 10mm chain and is not full.

Regards

Paulo
Old 08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Thanks for the updates and pics, Paulo. Beautiful boat! I suspect the motoring performance can be improved with a differrent prop. The challenge will be to get the increased performance without overworking the 40hp engine. I am sure this has already been addressed by other Comet 41 owners.
Happy sledding!
Thanks

Well, two days ago I got not a perfect wind and sea but at least one that I could enjoy even if the waves were too nasty for my wife.

The wind was between 14/22K, too much downwind to be perfect without a spinnaker and the waves were big for the med and on the side. Four hours between 7.5 and 10k put a big smile on my face. Of course the boat could carry a lot more sail - I am only using a jib and the main - not properly a good configuration for downwind sailing.

I think it is time to try the 135% genoa (if I can convince my wife). She has a point: this year has been a particularly windy one over here with gale warnings almost every day. For tomorrow there is one with the Bora blowing between 30 and 45K.

Regards
Paulo
Old 08-09-2012

Re: Dragonfly 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paulo,

You seem get on quite well! I´m glad to hear you´re satisfied with your boat, it looks fantastic!

I haven´t posted in a while, I´ve been mostly away for more than a month now. Made one trip to Denmark to test sail the new Dragonfly 32, which I´ve posted about earlier. It was launched in late June. Here is a little video (Yep, that´s me by the tiller!):

Dragonfly 32 Supreme - YouTube

The boat is really nice, feels very big for a 32 footer. We had light winds during the test sail, around 8-10 knots of wind. We seemed to go as fast as the wind during the whole test sail. In a gust the wind increased to about 12-14 knots. Top speed of the day, during this gust, was over 13 knots.

As I said, it´s a big boat and also heavy for a trimaran. Around 3,400kg I think, and this requires a lot of sail. While reaching we used mainsail (57sqm) and code 0 (68sqm). You could really feel the raw power when the gust hit.

We sailed for about 1,5 hours, Jens from Dragonfly did most of the sail handling. The solution for the main sheet and track was a bit tricky, with both lines lead to the same winches. I would probably try to find another solution for this. Where I sail we have very shifty wind angles and need to sheet in/out a lot and also change sheet postition on the track. Otherwise there was not much to complain about. Of course the boat is not as lively as some lighter/less comfortable trimarans.

The interior is huge compared to other trimarans, about the same size as the Dragonfly 35 and a lot bigger than the Dragonfly 28. Very nice solutions, I would choose teak trim instead of maple though. Makes me think of cheap furniture from IKEA...

I haven´t yet had time to test sail my mothers new HR 310, but when I do I will write about it as well!

Cheers!

//Mr W
Now, that is a lovely boat and if you have the money for it go ahead and please invite me for a ride.

I agree, the boat looks big for a 32ft trimaran and has more than enough space for coastal cruising.

Scare us off: What is the price of a decent equipped boat?

Regards

Paulo
Old 08-09-2012

Pilot saloons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
I just can't handle this thread sitting here sad and alone while Paulo is off cruising in his sweet new boat. So, as I am here in the great white north and pilot houses are definitely on my list of possibilities, lets check out the new proposed offering from Sirus, a new 40 footer they are planning to splash in 2014. They are proposing many different configurations and asking customers and others to voice their opinions on what they would want. Here are a few drawings...

and

Sure would be an ideal boat for up here in Alaska and beyond. Here is the writeup from Sirus on the planning of the boat.

Sirius-Werft Pln | 40 DS | 40 DS

Come on everyone, lets get some new boats up here and keep this thread going strong!
Hi Alaska,

Thanks for the contribution.

Yes, they are around that boat for several years now. With all that planning and sailor’s contributions I bet it will be a great boat and also an expensive one.

Check out also the other Nordic pilot saloons: Cr Yachts has a new one, Regina de Vindo has a nice 35 and 40ft and Nordship has a full line of new boats. If I had the money for one of those babies and sailed on a cold climate I guess I would chose a Nordship. Remarkably fast and good sailing boats with a great overall quality. Not as detailed as a Sirius however.

There are other interesting and different options, with Southerly, Nordborg and C yachts, not to mention the most known nordic one that just sleeped my mind.

Regards

Paulo