Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Pogo 50

Nice...

Eric, do you have those numbers regarding your boat yet?

Kind regards,
Mr W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2012

Re: Dragonfly 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Scare us off: What is the price of a decent equipped boat?
Well.... I havenīt seen the complete price list yet, but the touring version base price is EUR 205,900 ex VAT so I guess base price for the supreme version (which I tested, higher mast) is around EUR 220,000 ex VAT. Fully equipped it would be at least EUR 260,000 ex VAT I guess. Worth it? I havenīt figured that out yet! Iīm still considering the Dragonfly 28 as an alternative, although alot smaller. The Pogos are also still on my short list as well, need to try one of those too I guess

Regards,
Mr W
Old 08-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Croatia

Hi guys,

A bit out of the thread, but I know that some of you charter in Croatia, so, after one month and a half sailing in Croatia, a little advice: Avoid central Croatia, specially the Islands, they are overcrowded with everybody looking for a mooring or anchor spot before 3.00 in the afternoon and when you think that there is no more place for anyone there is a guy that is going to put the boat just over yours...terrible.

In the North, a lot less people, almost no charter boats and better sailors with their own boats, more wind, less expensive, in the South (near Dubrovnick and in the Islands), less people and more beautiful Islands. I really don't understand why people prefer to sail the desert and bald Kornati than Elaphiti Islands. Beautiful Island towns and plenty of green. My favorite place is probably the little town on South Sipan, Sudurad. Almost nobody on the anchorage and the Island was almost without tourists when the last boat left. Perfect dinner by the sea.

Lopud is also nearly perfect without cars and with beautiful mountain tracks.

There you have, I hope it is useful to somebvody. Today I am in Cavtat, the Russian Croatian city, I mean, in the port only huge Russian motorboats. Tomorrow I'll be out of Croatia, sailing to Montenegro and Greece.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-16-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Interesting
Old 08-18-2012

Sailing in Montenegro. Expensive to enter (140 € for a boat over 12m , for one week ) but what a marvel! Only big motorboats on the quays, very few sailboats and you can anchor where you want without someone coming to ask you money or saying you cannot be there.

I am in Kotor. Perfect anchorage, incredible city, World Heritage, (google for it). The only problem will be to go away. My wife has decided we stay one more day.

Four boats on anchorage, one of them is American. Met the guys, nice people. Lots of boats with American flag but I guess they are Russian or Serbian boats

Regards

Paulo

PS:Here the women are beautiful ...!!!!
Old 08-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Sailing in Montenegro. Expensive to enter (140 € for a boat over 12m , for one week ) but what a marvel! Only big motorboats on the quays, very few sailboats and you can anchor where you want without someone coming to ask you money or saying you cannot be there.

I am in Kotor. Perfect anchorage, incredible city, World Heritage, (google for it). The only problem will be to go away. My wife has decided we stay one more day.

Four boats on anchorage, one of them is American. Met the guys, nice people. Lots of boats with American flag but I guess they are Russian or Serbian boats

Regards

Paulo

PS:Here the women are beautiful ...!!!!
Pics or it didn't happen! You lucky bastard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-22-2012

Dragonfly 28 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Iīm still considering the Dragonfly 28 as an alternative, although alot smaller.
So, yesterday I was out on a test sail with the Dragonfly 28. There was a 8-10 knots breeze with gusts around 12 knots to start with, flat water. I sailed with the swedish Dragonfly represantative, only the two of us.

Started with main (44 sqm) and jib (24 sqm) on a beam reach with speeds around 7-8 knots. We rolled out the code 0 (45 sqm) and speed increased to around 9-12 knots.

Wind then increased to 10-12 knots with 14 in the gusts and we gybed back and hoisted the asymetric spi (105 sqm) on a broad reach, doing 10-12 knots steady, with our top speed of the day at over 14 knots. At this point the boat feels absolutely wonderful, it flies over the water and the ride is super smooth! I could go on forever!

We then turned back upwind, again with main and jib. I canīt say for sure but I think we were tacking over 85-90 degrees, doing 8-9,5 knots of boatspeed, sailing very upright in comfort.

Then it was time to end the test sail and we headed back home to the harbour. This boat is so versatile. Close to the harbour we folded the boat in a couple of minutes, decreasing beam from 6,5 to 2,5 meters. Absolutely amazing folding system on these boats!

The inside of the boat is a bit smallish, alot smaller than the 32, but still very thought through. The v-berth is quite beamy actually, should sleep two adults without problem. The aft bunk underneath the cockpit is a bit small, only 1 meter wide. I think it will suite the kids well, they are still small. It is possible to sleep on both sides in the saloon as well, but passage to the toilet and v-berth is on the starboard side of the saloon table so itīs a bit inconvenient to use the starboard bunk.

The optional cockpit tent is really nice! It creates another room on the boat. Very important I think on such a small boat. The cockpit is pretty roomy especially since it has no main sheet track. Six people can sit in comfort with the tent up.

There is a two burner stove and a sink in the galley and some shelves and lockers. The fridge is under the raised floor on the port side of the saloon table and is good sized.

Storage for clothes and other items is at first sight a bit inadequate, but look closer and there is acutally some storage space under the bunks and some other places. You canīt bring your whole wardrobe but I think that for my family storage space might just be enough. Sails etc can be stored in the floats.

The overall quality and finish seems high and even though the boat is foldable it still feels very rigid when sailing. There was a Honda 15hp outboard which was more than enough for this 2,000 kg boat. It was raised and lowered by pushing a button, which is not possible with the 10hp standard engine. A tiller link made maneuvering very easy.

Here are a couple of videos of this boat, I think one of them was published earlier on this thread:

I woke up this morning, still with a smile on my face. I think this boat will be hard to beat!

Cheers!

Mr W
PCP likes this.

Last edited by Mr W; 08-22-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Pics or it didn't happen! You lucky bastard!
HI Smack,

You will have pictures when I am back at home because internet here are really slow and I cannot get the pictures loaded. Pictures in October I promise.

A rectification about Montenegro: Kotor is great and some other small coves but the Police and customs stink: They think they are not there to help you but to control you. A big difference in what regards most European countries: It stinks.

I am at Korfu, Greece. First night after a 26 hour passage from Budva to Errikousa - Nice place to anchor with an wonderful smell (herbs) and today I am eating very well at a Taverna in Ormus Kalami, a nice cove in Corfu (wonderful Uzo).

About the boat, with small front sail (100 genoa) and without downwind sail, going butterfly I can get 7.5/ 8.5K deadwind, with 18/20 wind: Nice

Today with 14 to 16k at 90 degrees, 8.5 Knots and in a way that did not scare my wife (20 degrees heel).

Regards

Paulo
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 08-22-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2012

Re: Dragonfly 28 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
So, yesterday I was out on a test sail with the Dragonfly 28. There was a 8-10 knots breeze with gusts around 12 knots to start with, flat water. I sailed with the swedish Dragonfly represantative, only the two of us.

Started with main (44 sqm) and jib (24 sqm) on a beam reach with speeds around 7-8 knots. We rolled out the code 0 (45 sqm) and speed increased to around 9-12 knots.

Wind then increased to 10-12 knots with 14 in the gusts and we gybed back and hoisted the asymetric spi (105 sqm) on a broad reach, doing 10-12 knots steady, with our top speed of the day at over 14 knots. At this point the boat feels absolutely wonderful, it flies over the water and the ride is super smooth! I could go on forever!

We then turned back upwind, again with main and jib. I canīt say for sure but I think we were tacking over 85-90 degrees, doing 8-9,5 knots of boatspeed, sailing very upright in comfort.

Then it was time to end the test sail and we headed back home to the harbour. This boat is so versatile. Close to the harbour we folded the boat in a couple of minutes, decreasing beam from 6,5 to 2,5 meters. Absolutely amazing folding system on these boats!

The inside of the boat is a bit smallish, alot smaller than the 32, but still very thought through. The v-berth is quite beamy actually, should sleep two adults without problem. The aft bunk underneath the cockpit is a bit small, only 1 meter wide. I think it will suite the kids well, they are still small. It is possible to sleep on both sides in the saloon as well, but passage to the toilet and v-berth is on the starboard side of the saloon table so itīs a bit inconvenient to use the starboard bunk.

The optional cockpit tent is really nice! It creates another room on the boat. Very important I think on such a small boat. The cockpit is pretty roomy especially since it has no main sheet track. Six people can sit in comfort with the tent up.

There is a two burner stove and a sink in the galley and some shelves and lockers. The fridge is under the raised floor on the port side of the saloon table and is good sized.

Storage for clothes and other items is at first sight a bit inadequate, but look closer and there is acutally some storage space under the bunks and some other places. You canīt bring your whole wardrobe but I think that for my family storage space might just be enough. Sails etc can be stored in the floats.

The overall quality and finish seems high and even though the boat is foldable it still feels very rigid when sailing. There was a Honda 15hp outboard which was more than enough for this 2,000 kg boat. It was raised and lowered by pushing a button, which is not possible with the 10hp standard engine. A tiller link made maneuvering very easy.

Here are a couple of videos of this boat, I think one of them was published earlier on this thread:

I woke up this morning, still with a smile on my face. I think this boat will be hard to beat!

Cheers!

Mr W
I have said it alreradY: Buy the dammed boat and invite me to a test sail. Ask for a discount because after and I am going to test it and I am going to love it, I am sure and after all this thread has more than an half of a million hits, all people interested in modern fast boats...so free publicity deserves a discount

Regards

Paulo
Old 08-23-2012

JAndersB is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
It has been a while since I was active on the thread. I have gone through all the 100 pages or so created since my last visit and want to share with you some more experience from my Opium 39 bought last year and located on the Swedish west coast.

Basic impression is as I wrote last year, after first season. As I feared you need to go the extreme, if I may say so, set up of a Pogo to be able to reach the figures Eric is qouting from his 12.50. I often get questions from people on the quay if the boat start planing early and to be honest, it does not. Basically you need big waves and a big gennaker in 20 knots + wind to start planing. So very much the same as any performance cruiser. But on the other hand we have so much fun sailing it anyway. As pointed out by Paulo, the feel of the boat is so crisp, like a Porsche, not a dull BMW and so comfortable so in the end you always arrive earlier than expected and with no bigger effort or problems.

Thanks to the twin rudders and good hull shape (?) you are always in control and it never stand on it's nose, as many modern wide beamed boats, but instead lifts is nose and take off, leaning on the aft leeward corner of the hull.

We try to find boats to compete with but always ends up with loosing them as tiny dots at the horizon behind us. Still without any magical numbers on the instruments but with a very high average speed due to good control and efficient set up. We also find the boat quite good at pointing, contrary to Erics note on the Pogo, both in low and high winds, but of course perhaps not as good as a competent sailed pure performance cruiser.

Switched to a bigger gennaker (130 sqm) this year and it is a very good size for the boat.

We still marvel at the excellent storage space and the very good look out of the boat through low and big cabin top windows and even level between cabin sole and cockpit.

So in summary, it does not plane very easily, at least not loaded with windlasses, bikes, outboards, dingy, bow thruster, inlines, beer, wine etc. But it shurely beats any Xp38, Arcona 400, Dehler 41 or other similar in my books, taken into consideration the whole package. As my fellow countrymen Mr W seems to think, my closest alternative, perhaps besides the new JFK 38 would be a Dragonfly.

Regards, Anders
EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by JAndersB; 08-23-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.