1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2721 of 6763 Old 08-29-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Hi Paulo,
after all time spent evaluating boats I kind of wanted to spend my time sailing :-). By the way, congratulations to your boat choise, I hope you enjoy your cruise. I myself just sailed some 35 Nm in 4 hours and 14-16 knots of wind from 90 degrees TWA from Gothenbourg to the big in water boat show at the Hallberg-Rassy yard. Among other boats the new RM 1260 is here.
That is about the performance of my boat. With 14K at 90º the boat goes at 8.5K with 20º of heel, solid as a rock. Even my wife has got used to the speed. Very light at the wheel too.

But I am still learning: First time I got over 30K wind I blew both sails

I don't understand why the previous owner had a 3rd reef on the main sail if the sail hardly can hold with the wind that the 2nd reef can manage (35K).

I am in Preveza, near Levkas where I could find a marina that called me a sailmaker (Cleopatra Marina, good and inexpensive). Problem sorted out but now I need to start looking for good offshore sails. My wife said that these rip off like paper. She was used to the Elvstrom offshore (tafeta sails) that we had in our boat and I have to say that they could sustain much more abuse for many years without any problem.

The sailmaker says that I have medium racing kevlar sails, good for 15 to 18K of wind

I have already changed the front sail to a dracon one (that came with the boat), but that is a very basic sail.

Quote:
Anorher intersting notice from the big Tjörn Runt race that took place last weekend (around 430 boats took part) is that the new H-R 412 won it's class and was 8th overall (with furling main). Overall winner and 3 more of the top ten boats where First 40.
Thank to post about this. I will check it out better.
No doubt that the new Halberg Rassy, cored hull and hi-tech sails has little in common with HR from some years back. These ones can sail

That's kind of a joke but now that I have been sailing for almost 2 months in one of the areas with more sailboats around I can make some comments about sailboat performance in the real world:

Typical big production sailboats sail well (and we can see them really sailing) except upwind with more than 15K. Heavy boats don't sail with light wind and the vast majority don't sail at all. When there is enough wind for them to sail I guess that it is too much wind for most of the crews). The few ones that I found sailing with lots of wind 18/25K sailed well, specially upwind with waves and that is the point of sail that shows a smaller diferencial of speed, comparing to my boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-29-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2722 of 6763 Old 08-29-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Hanse 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviid View Post
Hi Folks

It has been a while but I am still a regular visitor to this forum. My focus has become more boat specific so I spend a lot more time on the Hanse owners forum as a Hanse 350 owner. It is an amazing resource for anyone new to sailing and covers a range of topics that are boat specific or general in nature.

Which brings me to the purpose of this post. Hanse will be premiering a new boat that is to replace the Hanse 355 which replaced the Hanse 350 called the Hanse 345 at the Southampton Boat show. I don't think I can upload an image of the new boat from my iPad so have a look at this link. It is a stunning looking boat IMHO
Hanse Yachts

My thoughts on the new Hanse 345

LOA/LWL- 10.40/9,50

Slightly shorter than the H350. Longer waterline length favours the 350.

Beam - 3.50

Slightly less beamy than H350 whose beam is 3.55. Surprised they didn't introduce chines for even better form stability

Displacement - 6.2 tons

About the same as the H355 with its non cored top sides but quite a bit heavier then the H350 at 5,763 with it's cored topsides. Hanse's are not the lightest cruiser/ performance cruisers around

Keel - 2,030

Love the torpedo keel even if they do snag laid lines from time to time They have made this a stiffer boat with better reserve stability by increasing the weight relative to the displacement compared to the H355. I would say that the form stability will be the same.

Draught - 1.87

Decent draught, similar to H350 and H355. Good balance between windward performance and being able to go places

Sail area - Mainsal - 32.5: Jib - 22.5 Total 55

Less sail area than H350 which has 35 mainsail and 29.6 headsail giving total of 64.9. A heavier boat with less sail area and less waterline length will make the H345 cruisier in nature and slower than the H350.
Set up is still with large mainsail and self tacking headsail which should be controlled IMHO by at least a pad eye in the cockpit set-up and preferably a main sheet traveller in the cockpit and not mid boom sheeting.. Not sure if this is offered as an option but if it is I don't see where it would fit given the size of the cockpit table.
One of the design options more and more nautical architects are going for is to split the cockpit into a working area and a chilling out area. Usually the area behind the helm is treated as the working area and it is here that the traveller is sometimes accommodated. If I look at the length of the boom though, I don't think they have gone for this. A pity.
They have lowered the mast height quite a bit to 15.75 versus 16.43 on the H350 but don't seem to have compensated for the reduction by introducing a fathead mainsail or roach. There seems to be an adjustable backstay which is a good thing in my view. Many of the new boats are doing out without this.

SA/D - 17.6. D/L - 202

This compares with 20.5 and 182 for the H350. The boat must be slower and cruisier in nature. The twin wheels cockpit table and bathing platform seem to confirm this

B/D - 32.7 L/B - 2.97

Versus 32% and 2.98 for the H350. Both boats will be stiff particularly considering most of the weight is in the bulb. Still would have liked a chine personally for even more safety.

Interior/exterior

Still dont like the nav station. Looks like an after thought on the H345 and the H350/355
They seem to have improved stowage in the saloon
Poor transom design on H350 way better on the new H345 - no longer all that wasted space behind the quarter berths.
Like the clutch layout in front of the winches being led aft. Don't like only having 2 winches though
Love the new hatch and port layout for loads of light down below.
Love having the chartplotter at the helm
Hopefully they have sorted out a bowsprit. Have always thought that this aspect has been overlooked on the Hanse's. The Dufour 335 has an amazing removable bowsprit.
Shrouds are taken outboard which has some advantages but a major disadvantage in that you can't fit a big overlapping genoa which you can do on the H350 (but not on the H355) :-))))

I am sure the boat will be a dream to sail and the proof is in the way she sails. It does seem though that Hanse are moving the Hanse range towards the cruisier side and Dehler is occupying the performance cruiser side.
Very nice post. Thanks for posting it

I guess you are right. Now that HR is making faster boats, Hanse is making slower boats

But I guess you are right, it seems a very nice cruising boat, more pointing to leisure cruising than to sport sailing. That is understandable, now that Hanse owns Dehler and we will see probably Hanse pointing more to family leisure cruising and Dehler to performance cruising.

It seems to be a stiff and very easy boat to sail , but not my cup of tea. I guess that I preferred the Hanse when they where faster.

Best Regards

Paulo
post #2723 of 6763 Old 08-29-2012

Quote:
Hi everyone,
It has been a while since I was active on the thread. I have gone through all the 100 pages or so created since my last visit and want to share with you some more experience from my Opium 39 bought last year and located on the Swedish west coast.
Hi! That seems to be a nice boat for sure, congratulations to you. I guess I will recognize you if I ever meet you out there, don´t think there are a lot of Opium 39s in Sweden!

Kind regards,
Mr W
post #2724 of 6763 Old 08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi W,

It seems to me that the Dragonfly 32 is too expensive for you and I find the 28 a bit cramped for cruising.

Have a look at this one:

Advancecruising C329 Trimaran Repliable Transportable Aluminium

Aluminum Carbon boat with enough space for cruising. Interesting concept. Not as fast as the 28 but maybe fast enough at a very interesting price.

Regards

Paulo
Hi Paulo,

I hadn´t seen that one yet! Very interesting concept, but for me I think a bit to slow. It weighs more than the DF 32 but has less sail area than the 28...

I still have my motorboat, it´s not a good market for selling at the time. Hey, if your interested I´ll make you a good deal!!

//Mr W
post #2725 of 6763 Old 08-29-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Outremer 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Hi Guys!
I like to let you know that we finally purchased a our fast bluewater cruiser. See below...
This is a used Outremer 50. 8.5 tons, 0.7 m draft and lots of space.
How!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Our voyage will start next April... Until then we will do some work on this boat.
How!!!!

Please keep us posted

Best of luck to you your wife and the new boat. Fair winds.

Best regards

Paulo
post #2726 of 6763 Old 08-29-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Sirius 32

Hi Lazlo,

Sirius is not a common boat. It is a unique boat and it is made in Germany on a small familiar Shipyard. It is a family shipyard and a family tradition (first the father, now the son).

They sell boats to everywhere, including Japan and they have ways of making the warranty of their boats to be true even without a dealer. They are expensive boats but if money is not a problem and that’s the boat you want the best advice I can get you is to go to the Dusseldorf boat show and have a talk with them. I mean, not dealers but the builders father and the son. Who knows if they are not interested in having the boat on display on one of the major American boat shows (west coast) and pay most of the expenses to ship the boat.

Now in what regards to be nice not to fly to Europe, particularly to the Dusseldorf boat show, I cannot agree with you:

Dusseldorf is a nice city with many other nice cities at a short distance by train, the beer is great and the boat show is just awesome.

Regards

Paulo
post #2727 of 6763 Old 08-30-2012

Re: Outremer 50

Quote:
Please keep us posted
Best of luck to you your wife and the new boat. Fair winds.
Yes, I will.

Here the official website of this boat - still online even though it is out of production. The 55 and 55 model are nearly identical, just the stern is extended for the longer one. The "light" version is less wide and has a smaller saloon.

Outremer Catamaran - Our Catamarans - Outremer 55 standard

Last edited by myocean; 08-30-2012 at 05:49 AM.
post #2728 of 6763 Old 08-30-2012

Pogo 12.50

If anyone interested, here is our blog where we share our impressions on our new Pogo 12.50 cruiser just built this summer:
Pogo 12.50 Easy
There are also pictures of several sister ships to our boat.
PCP and EricKLYC like this.
post #2729 of 6763 Old 08-30-2012

Re: Pogo 12.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo1250easy View Post
If anyone interested, here is our blog where we share our impressions on our new Pogo 12.50 cruiser just built this summer:
Pogo 12.50 Easy
There are also pictures of several sister ships to our boat.
Hehe, funny, I discovered your blog four hours ago

I tried to comment but don´t have a google account nor any of the other required account types. So let me put the comments here:

Sweeeet boat! Please post some more videos and also write some comments on boatspeed/windspeed/windangle/sailsetup. Would be really interesting to here more about this boat and its performance.

I´m still waiting for Eric to comment on the boatspeed etc from his boat, allways good to have info from two sources!

Cheers!

//Mr W
post #2730 of 6763 Old 08-31-2012

Re: Sirius 32

Quote:
Hi Lazlo,

Sirius is not a common boat. It is a unique boat and it is made in Germany on a small familiar Shipyard. It is a family shipyard and a family tradition (first the father, now the son).

They sell boats to everywhere, including Japan and they have ways of making the warranty of their boats to be true even without a dealer. They are expensive boats but if money is not a problem and that’s the boat you want the best advice I can get you is to go to the Dusseldorf boat show and have a talk with them. I mean, not dealers but the builders father and the son. Who knows if they are not interested in having the boat on display on one of the major American boat shows (west coast) and pay most of the expenses to ship the boat.

Now in what regards to be nice not to fly to Europe, particularly to the Dusseldorf boat show, I cannot agree with you:

Dusseldorf is a nice city with many other nice cities at a short distance by train, the beer is great and the boat show is just awesome.

Regards

Paulo
There are direct flights from US to Dusseldorf with some german airlines, like Lufthansa and AirBerlin. And some north american airlines do so.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.