Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
It 13.98

Another test sail, this one by the Italians of "Fare Vela". They say as well about the boat as the guys from YachtingWorld.

Gosh, this boat is not only fast but also beautiful

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2012

Solaris 37

And since we talk about beautiful Italian boats, one of my favorites. The only thing I don't like is the price

And talking about this type of boats, I mean the ones that have a balance in the performances that but more emphasis on the upwind performance (like my own boat) an opposed balance regarding boats like the Pogo or Elan 350 (that favors downwind performance), take a look at the performance of the Solaris 48 in what regards close to the wind sailing.

Of course that is apparent wind, but even so, over 8K at 22/23º of the wind on a performance cruiser is very good, even in almost flat water.

take a look:

I was impressed with the performance of my own boat (6.5K with 2m waves at 27º of the wind) but I guess that this one in the same conditions will do a lot better.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-14-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2012

Hanse 415

Well, I did not have talked much about the new Hanse 415. Now that Hanse and Farevela had put videos on internet its time to make some comments.

First of all let me tell that regarding the Hanse 415 I am partial. It is a love and hate thing. I love some things, like the possibility they have to make you an epoxy hull for not too much money ( I hope they still offer that possibility), the strength of the boat, the B/D ratio and I really dislike the interior and the lack of a proper traveler.

They want to pass the idea that the Hanse is a performance boat, well it is not. It is a relatively heavy boat (8.900kg) and has not much sail (87m2). They claim (on the videos) that the boat is the fastest in its class ********, many boats are as fast or faster, starting by the jeanneau 409 (7860kg for 78.9m2 of sail) and ending on the new Benetau Oceanis 41 (8.450kg for 83.8 m2 of sail.

Not a big difference between the three boats but the fastest boat in this class is the Jeanneau 409 in its performance version (still not a performance cruiser) with (7450kg and 89.5m2 of sail).

A typical performance cruiser like the Salona 41 has a much bigger SA/D (7450kg for 111.1m2 of sail).

The Hanse has a good D/B ratio a modern keel, a good hull and self tacking head sail (that is also offered by jeanneau and probably by Beneteau). The more substantial difference is the epoxy hull option that I cannot find on the list of options for this model. I hope that they continue to offer it. There are also other differences like beam and B/D ratio.

It is a solid boat, relatively fast as all modern cruisers, solid and well built. It is difficult to chose between the several mass production European cruisers. They are all well designed and the differences are mainly in what regards personal taste and some differences in what regards sailing hardware and also sailing qualities, being the Oceanis and the Hanse the beamier boats (4.2m; 4.17m) and the Jeanneau the narrower with 3.99m.

Regarding B/D the Hanse has 0.326, the Oceanis 0.272 and the Jeanneau as 0.301. The drafts are similar as well as the keels.This will make the Hanse the stiffer boat (beam and B/D ratio) and a very good and fast boat in a breeze but also a seaworthy boat. Of course the Jeanneau is less beamy and that will make it probably a better and more comfortable boat upwind.

As I said a solid boat, not only by build but also on the sea

daviid likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 10-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2012

daviid is on a distinguished road
Hanse

Hi Paulo

Hanse's new 5 series - 345 which replaces the 355, 385, 415, 445 etc - are aimed at the charter market. Nothing wrong with that but they are definitely more cruiser than performance cruiser. With Dehler being part of the Hanse group, the Dehler is the performance cruiser in the group.

There is a lot to like about the 5 series if you are a cruiser. They all have cockpit tables, all the lines are lead back to the genoa winches for short handed sailing and for seperating the cockpit into a working/chilling area, twin helms for easy access, bathing platforms, self tacking jibs with large mainsails, no travelers in the cockpit. I know that you don't agree with me on this but I like their interiors which are very functional less is more Scandinavian loft type designs which owners can personalize themselves. Performance wise, Judel and Vrolijk have designed fast modern hulls that are a little heavier than the other AWB manufacturers - Dufour excluded - on account of the keel reinforcements in GRP. The increased weight is offset to an extent by having self tacking jibs that are maximised both in terms of size and roach which is controlled by vertical battens. Previous generation Hanses were known for their hull and rig focus but I think this is changing with the new generation.

As you say, it is difficult to distinguish many of the mainstream cruisers these days with personal taste playing the major part. The one part which counts heavily in favour of Hanse is their owners forum which is absolutely invaluable to any owner. The advice is boat specific as well as general and I am sure that there is no problem that cannot be solved collectively.

The Dufour 335 and Hanse 345 I think have some very interesting features for smaller cruisers and are a little ahead of the competition.

All just my opinion of course
PCP likes this.

Last edited by daviid; 10-15-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2012

Re: Hanse

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviid View Post
Hi Paulo

Hanse's new 5 series - 345 which replaces the 355, 385, 415, 445 etc - are aimed at the charter market. Nothing wrong with that but they are definitely more cruiser than performance cruiser. With Dehler being part of the Hanse group, the Dehler is the performance cruiser in the group.

There is a lot to like about the 5 series if you are a cruiser. They all have cockpit tables, all the lines are lead back to the genoa winches for short handed sailing and for seperating the cockpit into a working/chilling area, twin helms for easy access, bathing platforms, self tacking jibs with large mainsails, no travelers in the cockpit. I know that you don't agree with me on this but I like their interiors which are very functional less is more Scandinavian loft type designs which owners can personalize themselves. Performance wise, Judel and Vrolijk have designed fast modern hulls that are a little heavier than the other AWB manufacturers - Dufour excluded - on account of the keel reinforcements in GRP. The increased weight is offset to an extent by having self tacking jibs that are maximised both in terms of size and roach which is controlled by vertical battens. Previous generation Hanses were known for their hull and rig focus but I think this is changing with the new generation.

As you say, it is difficult to distinguish many of the mainstream cruisers these days with personal taste playing the major part.

The Dufour 335 and Hanse 345 I think have some very interesting features for smaller cruisers and are a little ahead of the competition.

All just my opinion of course
Hi David!

I agree that for most cruisers, that don't value maximum control and performance, a over the cabin traveler is better than a traveler near the wheel since it allow a big bimini. You cannot see properly the sails with that bimini and therefore are not able to trim that correctly at all times but main stream cruisers don't care about that.

Anyway if they are performance cruisers they are looking to the wrong boat.

The problem is that the Hanse, like the oceanis, doesn't have a traveler at all, not even over the cabin, but the same system Oceanis use to control the main sail, a system that is easy but less efficient than a traveler and certainly cheaper. From the mentioned boats only the Jeanneau has a good traveler over the cabin.

Regarding the winches I never sailed the boat but it seems to me that if the rigging is properly organized having the four winches on the cockpit nearer the wheel makes sense and will give a better flexibility to their use allowing to have one for the mainsail and other for the geenaker or a bigger genoa and that is better than what Jeanneau and Oceanis offer. Not has good as what Bavaria offers since it is the only boat that offers has an option the 4 winches on the cockpit and the two over the cabin.

I am curious about the absolute absence of mention about an epoxy hull. Can you ask on the Hanse Forum if that is not offered anymore as an option and if they will make it how much weight saves regarding the standard boat?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-15-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi Paulo

When I was in Croatia last month, I noticed an Elan 350 with a bimini - not a helm bimini - with a slit/opening in it for the main sheet. It is the first time I have seen this.

On our Hanse 350, I have found that if you lead the mainsheet and jib sheet to the genoa winches whilst leaving the coachroof clutches open, I then have all the controls at hand. Even if our bimini is up, I am able to see the sail trim on the main quite easily by looking behind the bimini and up. Whilst I would still prefer a traveller for the control it gives you, it is the best set-up I can get.

The Elan 350 with bimini would be sailed in a similar way,albeit faster and with better control.

I have enquired about the epoxy option from Hanse on the forum - you can follow the responses here

http://www.myhanse.com/forum_posts.a...D=53871&#53871

Cheers

David

Last edited by daviid; 10-15-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviid View Post
Hi Paulo

When I was in Croatia last month, I noticed an Elan 350 with a bimini - not a helm bimini - with a slit/opening in it for the main sheet. It is the first time I have seen this.

On our Hanse 350, I have found that if you lead the mainsheet and jib sheet to the genoa winches whilst leaving the coachroof clutches open, I then have all the controls at hand. Even if our bimini is up, I am able to see the sail trim on the main quite easily by looking behind the bimini and up. Whilst I would still prefer a traveller for the control it gives you, it is the best set-up I can get.

The Elan 350 with bimini would be sailed in a similar way,albeit faster and with better control.

I have enquired about the epoxy option from Hanse on the forum - you can follow the responses here

EPOXY HULL OPTION - myHanse - Hanse Yachts Owners Forum

Cheers

David
Hum, I doubt that set up for the bimini on the Elan 350 works well. Another and more practical solution is asking on a performance cruiser for the traveler to be installed over the cabin and then you can have a big bimini. I don't know if all the cruisers racers will do that but I know that Salona has that as an option.

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hum, I doubt that set up for the bimini on the Elan 350 works well. Another and more practical solution is asking on a performance cruiser for the traveler to be installed over the cabin and then you can have a big bimini. I don't know if all the cruisers racers will do that but I know that Salona has that as an option.

Regards

Paulo
I have been thinking about a traveller on the coachroof for a while but I have some doubts about it. These are:
  • the position means that you need to leave the helm if sailing short handed
  • the mainsheet control is unaffected by a traveller on the coachroof. in other words the mainsheet still needs to be controlled by a winch as opposed to manually using the fine tune adjuster which is one of the cockpit travellers main advantages
  • many experienced sailors argue that the coachroof traveller is useless in strong winds. Once released, it is very difficult to bring it back to center
  • the track is too short to have a real impact
  • the traveller's position still means you are engaging in mid boom sheeting which places the boom at risk in terms of a breakage;
  • can get in the way of the sprayhood
  • expensive to add on later

The positives include:
  • you can engage autopilot and sail the boat from the companionway by feathering the main in the gusts using the traveller
  • you can adjust the traveller to create the desired twist in the mainsail
  • you can position the traveller to windward to center the boom when sailing upwind
  • safer than a cockpit traveller because there are no sheets lying around or blocks to hit you on the head with

If you were not able to have a cockpit traveller for any reason, do you think it would be worth doing away with the block set-up seen on many cruisers these days to have a coachroof traveller, all things considered?

Last edited by daviid; 10-15-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2012

Traveler

Well you cannot have all things: A big bimini and a perfect control of the main sail.

On the Bavaria 36 I had an over the cabin traveler it was not very big, but I have seen smaller. They are always smaller to the ones on the cockpit and if too small they will be doing almost nothing.

The one on the Jeanneau 409 is big for an over the cabin traveler:

Assuming solo sail, you work with one of those differently, regarding boat control. In a gust you don't open the traveler, but the main sail sheet (from the winch). Basically you work always first with the main sheet and only after you put the boat on autopilot to go forward and adjust the traveler. With the traveler on the cockpit you use first the traveler and only then the main sheet and if needed again the traveler. You use a lot more the travel if it is near you on the cockpit.

Regarding not being able to use the over cockpit traveler with lots of wind I never had the problem. After 13K of real wind you have to use the winches but that's all.

To add a traveler on an existing boat I don't know, it will have to be very well done, the forces are really big. In many boats the deck is cored and you have to know what you are doing to install one and it will not be cheap. It makes a lot more sense have one installed by the shipyard.

Regarding efficiency, if the traveler is not very small it will provide a better control of the mainsail shape, regarding no traveler at all or the system Hanse and Oceanis use on the main sail. In fact a traveler separates too movements: Pulling the sail down (with the mainsheet) and open sideways the angle. without travel those two movements are not separated.

If it is worth the money and effort it depends on you and the way you sail. The difference in speed will only be some tenths of a knot, half knot at most. It all depends how much you like to sail and take the max out of your sailboat. Obviously many of the big brands think that is useless for the type of sailors that buy their boats.

Regards

Paulo
daviid likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 10-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2012

Rm 1260

Well, if someone likes to sail fast and to trim the sails, wants a fast boat with more space than a true performance cruiser and also a boat already more adapted to offshore cruising (cutter rig and all) I guess the answer in what regards affordable prices is RM.

The nice success they enjoy in France for years among cruisers that really cruise a lot has been expanding all over Europe, first to Nordic countries and it seems that now it is for UK, at least if the interest from sailors is so big as the one that Yachtingworld tester showed for the boat. I hardly remember a so enthusiastic review.

Well the boats are great at that is not new. When I test sailed one (the previous model) I was the day before with JPK in its shipyard to see the JPK 110 and casually tell him that next day I was going to sail a RM1200. He said to me it was a great boat for cruising and this guy knows one or two things about boats. I guess that he likes so much the boat that 2 years after he made a sort of more sportive RM, the JPK 380

Take a look David, this one has a traveler on the cockpit

MOVIE:

http://tv.yacht.de/video/RM-1260%253...e2ef877dcdf454

http://www.allboatsavenue.com/nouvea...arche-europeen

daviid likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 10-15-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.