Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
ISAF sailor of the year

No, it is not about the sailor that is going to be chosen by ISAF (world governing body for the sport of sailing) as sailor of the year it is about ISAF incompetence.

If we compare ISAF with for instance FIA (Cars federation) we can see that in what regards autosport there are clearly defined levels of competitiveness, from amateur racing to several levels of professional racing that end on one side in the F1 championship and on other on the world Rally championship.

If a driver of the year was chosen among FIA drivers It would certainly be one chosen between the drivers of the top championships. It would be ridicolous that the driver was chosen among one of the initiation classes, like Karting or F3.

In what regards sailing it is a big mess, not only there are not a clear definition of the top classes as ISAF does not have managed to promote real international championships that define those classes.

But if we talk about top classes he will be talking about volvo Ocean race, America's cup and Vendee Globe. The sailors that compete there in many cases were world champions in dinghy classes in their youth before continuing a sailing carer that led them to the top racing classes.

Well, ISAF is so confused and I would say incompetent that not only does not promote sailing as a world competitive global sport as most of the times chose for sailor of the year sailors from the dinghy classes.

It was as if FIA nominated driver of the year a kid from the Karting world championship. That makes no sense but this year ISAF has made even less sense: Among the nominees the name of Franck Camas (that was proposed) was not maintained.

As you all know Frank Camas won the Volvo Ocean race on its first try. Well we could understand that other sailor won the price, but not being nominated?

That's a sympthom as things go wrong in ISAF. The nominees?:

Nathan Outerridge et Iain Jensen (Gold in 49er), Matthew Belcher et Malcolm Page (Gold in 470), Tom Sligsby (Gold in Laser), LoÔck Peyron (Jules Verne record) and Ben Ainslie (gold for the 4th consecutive time in laser and finn classes). Ben Ainsle has already been three times ISAF sailor of the year.

Well, going on with that FIA comparison it was like a Kart champion had won for 3 times the title of driver of the year while driving carts. Crazy isn't it? Well somebody should tell Ben Aislie that he has already age to leave the dinghy's and start sailing with the big boys on the fastest and top racing classes, in sailing boats not dinghy's.

Regarding ISAF, it is even worse, somebody should fire them for incompetence

Last edited by PCP; 10-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

Alex and Hugo Boss

After beating the Atlantic record for Solo sailors, Alex Thomson is more then motivated for the Vendee. Take a look:

Old 10-15-2012

Barcolana 2012

Look at that

Ai ai ai!

Old 10-16-2012

Comet 41s

When I bought the boat there were a lot of guys that asked information about the boat. I had searched on the internet for a movie and I could only find one about the interior (that I had posted).

Well, now I have found one, In Arabic . I will poste it, a bit late, but better late than never. You can see some neat features like that one that permits the use of any of the front winches for both sides of the "piano" or the big locker in the back of the boat. Pity they don't show the sails locker that is a unique feature among 40ft performance cruisers.

Guys from Comar said to me that they are maintaining this model but they are going to present a two wheels version soon.

Last edited by PCP; 10-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2012

Philippe Briand

Just look at this animal:

Bristolian, a Philippe Briand design and in my opinion the most beautiful til now.

Briand has other great designs and beautiful boats like the Mari-Cha IV and his responsible for the design of some of the best and more attractive production boats around: First 45 and 50; Jeanneau 409 and 439, 53 and 57, 45 and 50DS, OVNI 495 and ALubat 58 (among others).

There are on the water about 10 000 boats designed by him and I bet some of you never heard about the guy.

He is one of the best contemporary NA in my opinion. It is French and as most of French NA started as a racer and won several word championships sailing his own designs (the Half Ton Cup and the One Ton Cup during the 1980ís)

Take a look:

Old 10-16-2012

Ker 40

Jason Ker is one of my favorite boat designers. It is probably the designer whose boats are winning more especially if we consider that they are not many. The list of victories this year is impressive:

Ker Yacht Design

And one of the boats that is winning is the Ker 40, probably the fastest 40ft in real time. Take a look:

This boat is a lot faster than a 40class boat but it is a much more difficult boat to sail at 100% especially downwind and a good crew is needed and even so

The boat is so stiff, has so much ballast and stability that even after broaching, instead of being knocked down and stop (as most boats), keep sailing at a big angle of heel making it difficult to stop it and regaining full control

Last edited by PCP; 10-17-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2012

Seamanship

Talking about the accidents and particularly capsizes, there is not needed a big breaking wave to capsize a boat if the wave get the boat on the right angle and right position. On this video we can see how many boats, including one being towed can make it to safety while just one is capsized and rolled. I don't think it has nothing to do with the type of boat, I mean this one was not more or less seaworthy than the others that had make it to safety, but with good or bad seamanship.

The guy is not only sailing too close to the shore, where there are more breakers, as it is sailing perpendicularly to the waves with too much sail.

Take a look:

Old 10-17-2012

Capsizes

And talking about capsizes, a bad one:

Old 10-17-2012

Seamanship

Some more videos: A guy with an Halberg-Rassy 43 doing the wrong thing and getting away with it:

a small Bavaria 32 well sailed in a gale:

and a guy that lost control of the boat ( no adequate sails) and is in trouble. Notice that is an heavy displacement boat that is supposed to be very seaworthy but the guy doesn't have any storm sail (he even has a bimini on) and the boat is just boobing around out of control at the mercy of the sea:

and these guys sailing safely in bad weather with adequate sails:

Last edited by PCP; 10-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2012

HR 412; XC 42; Swedestar 415

The Halberg Rassy 412 has been a great media success and I donít doubt that is going to sell well, take a look:

But I have to say that if I had the money and I was looking for that type of boat I would chose without any hesitation the XC 42. In fact the new HR 412 like the 372, comes as a HR response to the more modern line of X yacht cruisers but even if the XC is now several years old it looks more modern than the new HR, especially on the transom and on the two wheel set up against a single wheel on the HR.

In what regards dimensions and type of hulls there is not much difference, the beam is identical (4.10 to 4.11), the XC is almost a 1ft longer (12.81 to 12.61) and due to that but mostly due to almost more 985kg of ballast, the HR is 300kg lighter. Fact is that if we consider the boat without ballast, despite being longer, the XC is almost 700kg lighter.

This gives to the XC a much bigger B/D ratio (0.44 to 0.36) and as both hulls have a similar beam and the XC has more 11cm of draft, the XC is a much more stiff boat with a bigger RM and able to carry more sail.

Curiously on the Standard version, with Jib, the HR has more sail, 86.8 to 90m2, but the extra stiffness will give an advantage to the XC in strong wind. In lighter wind it will allow it to carry bigger Genoas and a bigger Gennaker making it faster. With the Genoa, that is an option, the XC will carry 111.3 m2 and can carry a Geennaker with 158.2m2. The total area of the HR with a code 0 is 130.9m2 and that is less than only the Geenaker on the X yacht.

The XC sailed with the right sails will be faster than the HR and the bigger difference will be in bad weather and strong winds where the much superior B/D ratio will be put to good use.

Both boats cost about the same, the XC has a stainless steel structure to distribute the forces of the keel and shrouds and both have an high quality interior. I like more the modern interior of the XC but that is really a question of personal taste.

But on this segment appeared recently other boat that probably I would have preferred to both the HR 412 and the XC42, even if I like a lot the XC 42. It is the Swedestar 415.

The Swedestar is not only cheaper (if we can talk about cheaper in what regards these boats ) as it is lighter, faster, less beamier and that will give it a more comfortable ride upwind with waves. The Swedestar has also a high quality interior and a nice one to my taste.

It has the same length as the HR 412 but the beam is only 3.75 versus 4.11m and most of all the Swedestar is 2900kg lighter, having a much bigger B/D ratio (0.43 to 0.36).

Even being almost 3T lighter the Swedestar carries more sail than the HR , both boats with jib, 93.0m2 to 90.0 and that would make it not only much faster than the HR in all points of sail and sea conditions as will make it a fast boat by any standards.

The only thing I donít like is the aesthetic treatment of the transom but I guess I could live with that. That looks to be a fantastic boat. I am very curious to hear what the boat testers say about this boat.

Mr X can you tell us what are they saying on that test on the movie, I mean the general idea?

daviid likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 10-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.