Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Classic boats: Pasha

Pasha looks old and beautiful but it is really a modern boat less than 15 years old. It is an aluminum boat designed by William C. Frank of Offshore Yacht Design to be its own boat.

"The designer wanted a strong, fast and comfortable yacht which would benefit from the reduced maintenance associated with modern materials, but one which retained a handsome traditional look. "

Well, I guess he had seceded

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2012

Babe 30

In 1935 Olin Stephens (S&S) designed Babe a beautiful 31ft boat meant to be an Ocean racer for the Miami–Nassau and St. Petersburg–Havana races. The boat had the minimum required size for those races.

More than 70 years later S&S picked up the old designed and utilizing today’s technologies, modern materials, up-today computer aided design remake the old design, maintaining its old looks on the outside and adapting the hull shape. Now it remains beautiful as it was before, but also a much lighter and a fast boat by modern standards.

This boat deserves to be a success. Or is not cheap but it will never get old, I mean if the 70 year old looks are beautiful today I am pretty sure they will remain beautiful at the turn of the this century.

Old 10-20-2012

Cowes week 2012

All that talk about the world capital of sailing, well, Cowes is one of them, a Capital now doubt. I was cruising during the Cowes week (August) and could not post about it. Well, its better late than never

Movies are better than words:

Old 10-21-2012

Cowes week

More two movies aboard smaller boats: an X35 and a J80. Well sailed boats

Those guys on the J80, it seems they are from Poland. Look at them in a nice movie in Warsaw, doing the local championship.

And since we are talking about the J80, some nice movies that give you the will to be there:

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2012

Cowes Week: Classic boats

More from Cowes, this time really beauty keens

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: HR 412; XC 42; Swedestar 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Mr X can you tell us what are they saying on that test on the movie, I mean the general idea?

Hi Paolo, I assume you mean me! Well, I could tell you what they say but I think your english is as good as mine, so maybe a bit overkill?! His english is a bit poor so I´ll give you a few hints. They guy beeing interviewed is Håkan Södergren, the designer of the boat. If you don´t know about him you should look him up, he´s a real veteran. I´m friends with his son, so I meet Håkan every now and than, he is a nice bloke.

To me, his designs are quite traditional but still allways very good performers (for cruisers of course). His comments in the video is that he has kept many of the attributes from the Swedestar 370. A rather shallow draft keel is key when sailing in our area. He has moved the sail plan back, which also creates a large fore triangle, which makes for an easy to handle sail plan.

The boats are more expensive than for example Jeanneau etc because of highest quality swedish handcrafted interior.

From experience I can tell you that we outsail Swedestar 370 with my brothers Arcona 340. Maybe no suprise, but still worth noting.

My brother was acutally very close to buying the Södergren designed Tarac, but with his family in mind he went for the Arcona.

Cheers!

//Mr W
Old 10-21-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
About yacht design

Hi Paolo,

I read an article by the norwegian boat magazine Seilas a while back which you might find interesting. It´s in Norwegian, so you´ll have to find a way to translate it. I´m not really up for translating the whole article for you....

Oops, problem! I can´t attach a pdf! Paolo, if you´re interested in the article, PM me your e-mail adress and I´ll send it to you.

//Mr W
Old 10-21-2012

Re: About yacht design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paolo,

I read an article by the norwegian boat magazine Seilas a while back which you might find interesting. It´s in Norwegian, so you´ll have to find a way to translate it. I´m not really up for translating the whole article for you....

Oops, problem! I can´t attach a pdf! Paolo, if you´re interested in the article, PM me your e-mail adress and I´ll send it to you.

//Mr W
Can you believe that I started to listen to the guy and his accent Is so thick, so Swedish that my brain decided that he was speaking in Swedish and I just turned out the sound

Regarding the Arcona 34 to be faster than the Swedsetar 37 it is normal under certain circumstances, like light wind but I guess that the Swedsetar has a superior rating and with more wind or rough conditions will be probably faster.

Anyway that was not the point: Arcona are performance cruisers and the Swedsetar is more in line with Malo or Halberg-Rassy (the aft cockpit line), well, at half the way between those boats and Arcona even if in what regards performance is much closer to Arcona.

If we compare it with the Arcona 410 we will see that the Arcona is 400kg lighter (7.8 to 8.2T) but also that the Swedestar has more 900kg of ballast. Ok the draft of the Arcona is 2.25 and the Swedestar has only 2.07 and that will represent probably the equivalent of 200 kg of ballast. Even so and with that correction that will give a B/D ratio of 36% to the Arcona tha compares with the 42% of the Swedestar 415.

Of course the Arcona has more beam (3.9 to 3.8m) and that gives it a bit more form stability but I guess it will not be enough to compensate the extra B/D of the Swedestar and its smaller beam will make it a better upwind boat, specially with waves and rough weather.

In what regards sail, the Arcona 410 has 95m2 and the Swedestar 93m2.

I guess that the Arcona will be faster, but not for much since the Swedestar cab carry a genoa more time without reefing and I will bet that upwind with waves and over 12/13K the Swedestar will be faster.

Well, they are two fine boats but I don't know if I don't prefer the Swedestar. I will tell you after seeing the boat in Dusseldorf

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paolo .... has the Hanse 412 aft cockpit made it into this thread ? If not, let me know and I'll post it. For her size, she is for me a very nice design. I think perhaps more interesting than the Malo 40 or 43.

Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-21-2012

Hanse 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paolo .... has the Hanse 412 aft cockpit made it into this thread ? If not, let me know and I'll post it. For her size, she is for me a very nice design. I think perhaps more interesting than the Malo 40 or 43.

Andrew
Hi, Andrew,

Have a look at page 308 posts 3072, 3073, 3074.

Please quote at will and tell us what you think about the boat and if you agree with the expressed opinions. Welcome to the discussion

Regards

Paulo