Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo,
Sorry old friend, bit of confusion caused by me re those last posts of mine. Suffice it to say I didn't take in the posts re the Hanse and went straight for the HR. Remember that I am not so concerned with the performance as you are and look more for acceptable comfort levels both inside and out. For that I feel the HR makes most sense, even over the Malo for me. That said, I would also much prefer either the Swede or XC over the Hanse.
Andrews,
Who would not prefer the XC42 over the Hanse? Pity it costs almost three times more and that makes all the difference.

Regarding that story anout the HR making more sense than the Malo in what regards comfort I don't agree with you and I think it is a lot of ********

Some years ago Voile and Voiliers tested at the same time the XC 42 against the Dufour 425, both boats at the same time in the water. Because the Dufour is a much lighter boat they tried to find a difference in sea motion and comfort between the two boats namely in what regards wave passage. Well they could not find any. That is true that the conditions were pretty much normal, I mean the weather was good and they believe and (I agree) that in rough conditions that should make some difference but.....we all sail pretty much on the test sail conditions and avoid bad weather.

So in what regards to make sense having a more heavier and slow boat on account of comfort, if we are nor talking about extreme boats...well

Teaser du match XC 42 / Dufour 425 por AgatheArmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

If you remember we looked quite seriously at the previous generation Hanse 400 before we bought the Malo and to be frank it was our overall disappointment with the Hanse that pushed us towards Malo. At the time I'd have gone preferably for a Dehler 45, even over the Malo but there were none available even vaguely in our price range. Hanse for me is just too Ikea down below. Really poor quality fitout in every respect though I admit they have a wonderful layout, shame they make it out of papier mache. if all I wanted was a weekend cruiser that would not be embarassed around the buoys then I guess the Hanse would do but that is not my preference.

Andrew B
I agree about the interior and it is just a shame that they had finished with the epoxy option and that the boat has not a traveler.
The epoxy option made a lot of sense and at 8000 euros it was not expensive for what offered ( a lighter, stronger and waterproof boat).
The Hanse 415 has a lot to offer: the best stability in the class an a boat that is faster than the Oceanis and almost as fast as the Jeanneau.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-27-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

Coastal Classic race

If you like sail you have to love NZ sailors. No wonder there are so many in international top teams if they race like this at local races

Jesus, this is what I call a wet boat

Old 10-27-2012

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Amazing footage that ranks up there with some of the Volvo video. But I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the general absence of PFDs, harnesses and tethers. I realize it's a "coastal" race, but in those conditions it's easy to get swept over the side, and at those speeds it would take quite some time to turn around and recover a MOB. Just saying.
Old 10-27-2012

Interesting Sailboats

I cannot resist to post photos two boats that caught my attention during my summer cruise. What do you think about them?

Old 10-28-2012

Fox 10.20

We have been following the voyage of Adrien and Capucine on a small light and fast modern boat, a Fox 10.20.

Contrary to many people that have very little experience before normally bought an heavy boat to circumnavigate, these two were very experienced sailors and new exactly what type of boat they wanted. The hull was made professionally and they finished and mount all the rest.

They have passed New Zeeland and are now on the Indian Ocean:

Old 10-28-2012

Speed Dream

For years I have been seeing designs from Vlad Murnikov about his vision of the fastest monohull, a boat that could be as faster as a multihull, a huge boat (100ft) with the looks of a space ship. Well the designs were nice but the guy is not a leading NA and I guess it was just some dreamer with interesting ideas:

]

Then, some time a go I heard that Roger Martin (a leading American NA) was involved in hull and deck shaping, general layout and detail design, that Hugh Welbourn (the one from DSS technologie) was part of the team and that Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and sails was been developed by Tyler Doyle from Doyle Sails while SP-High Modulus was taking care of the structural engeniere. I thought to myself, jesus this is for real now.

When I heard that Lyman Morse was making a small prototype with 27ft I got really excited about it. After all they are promising the fastest monohull ever built, a boat with:

Delta-shaped hull, almost triangular in plan view, with a very narrow, wave-piercing bow to reduce resistance and improve seaworthiness.

Maximum stability and sail carrying capacity due to the innovative Ultimate Canting Keel with a bulb that comes out of water to provide the highest possible Righting Moment while completely eliminating drag.

Telescoping keel that retracts to reduce draft while in harbor and extends while sailing to maximize Righting Moment.

Stabilizing foils to further improve stability and reduce drag by partially offsetting boat weight. Similar to the DSS foils pioneered by Hugh Welbourn, SpeedDream wings are used in combination with canting keel and, in addition to lift, provide lateral resistance.

The resulting stability is far superior to all current keel boats while requiring only fraction of the ballast, thereby significantly reducing the total boat displacement.

The innovative and practical deck layout and superstructure styling that keeps crew safe and deck free of excess water even at high speed.

Well, the prototype is on the water. The images are not spectacular and I start to have some doubts. I truly hope they will be soon posting more spectacular movies and that this one is just not showing the full boat potential.

To follow closely

Last edited by PCP; 10-28-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2012

America's cup

Another AC72 in the water: The Italian one, Luna Rossa: They call it already the Chrome bullet

Hurricane Sandy forces HMS Bounty evacuation - Nova Scotia - CBC News
Old 10-29-2012

Circumnavigation without stop on an A35

Alain Delors, if he kept its timetable, sailed away for a circumnavigation. One more you say. Not this one. This one is a sportive one. Non Stop, on a small fast boat (A35), kind of a personal low budget Vendee Globe, with a low budget cost (140 000 euros).

Is this guy crazy? Well, he is a very good sailor, the A35 is a very seaworthy boat. He is not one of those that sail away without knowing almost anything about sailing, but he is 63 years old and want to make a record time so he plans to go higher than 50º. Scary, at least for me

I wish him god luck, he is going to need it

You can follow the voyage here:

Le Tour du Monde d'Alain Delord | Carnet de voyage d'Alain Delord lors de son tour du monde en solitaire sans assistance

Old 10-29-2012

Haber 34

One of the boats that is going to be present at Dusseldorf is the Haber 34. It is not my kind of sailboat but it makes sense for those that want a small Motor-sailor that maximizes interior space and living quality. The boat is made in Poland and has been raising interest in Germany. they have a version that can lower easily the mast.

Old 10-29-2012

Sven Yrvind

This guy is incorrigible

After having crossed the Atlantic in this:

He is going to circumnavigate non stop on a 10ft boatand probably he is going to manage it

His general theory:

"Most people misunderstand life. Let me explain.

Comfort does not make you happy, on the contrary it is dangerous to your health. It makes you lazy, fat and bored. It is only by using energy that you can create energy and it is the surplus of energy that makes you happy and healthy. Happiness cannot be bought for money...

n a thousand ways our civilization over stimulates us. Not just by nicotine, by cars or by lending us money. Most people nowadays are slaves to many masters.

As with all addictions we need more drugs, more borrowed money, bigger cars and bigger boats. We get deeper and deeper into trouble and misery.

With my voyage I hope to show mankind that, luckily there is an opposite way, a more natural, sane and ecological way to be happy. Slowly as I have gained insight I have made myself less and less dependent on stimulants, I have become less and less a slave. I have never used coffee, beer, vine, or tobacco, not even once. Twenty years ago I stopped drinking tee. I have no TV. Ten years ago I stopped listening to the radio. It took about a year for me to get detoxed. Now I need no radio. I hear my inner voice loud and clear. I do my own thinking...

In my planned trip I will be at sea for more than a year. There I will be protected from over stimulation. Hopefully that way I will gain much of my senses potential power and increase the clarity of my mind. A voyage like my planned one will give plentiful stimulation. I aim to come back a younger man to start building a nice small cruising boat; one not restricted by a ridicules ten feet rule".

Well, Sven is peculiar but is not mad at least in what regards sailing. Its accomplishments speak for themselves:

"Yrvind has made several ocean crossings in his tiny boats. In 1980, Yrvind rounded Cape Horn in 'Bris II', a 20'/5.90m boat of his own design, alone and in the middle of winter, a record for smallest boat to round the Cape. This achievement won Yrvind the 1980 Royal Cruising Club medal for seamanship. In the Roaring Forties he allegedly collided with a whale."

The last crossing was last year, from Europe to the US (Florida).

About sailboats he says:

"A small boat well made is safer than a big one. It is less complicated and smaller forces are acting on it. On a small boat you have more control."

And he really means small Take a look at the model for the circumnavigation:

A true nutshell You know that in Portuguese, that is a language with a lot of expressions taken from the sea and boats mean figuratively the weakest of all boats: "A casca de noz".

Obviously he don't think that way

The project:

The boat:

Last edited by PCP; 10-29-2012 at 08:26 PM.