Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

Regarding sailboat popularity in Europe, particularly in France, some good news:

"The first week of the Race Village opening drew a record number of spectators. Since 20 October, no less than 230,000 people (including 10,000 school children) have walked the pontoons where the 20 participating boats are moored. The race's popularity is clearly evident.

The success of this 7th edition is also obvious online. The race's official website drew 200,000 visitors in a week."

Vendée Globe: record attendance | Yacht News | Yachting World

Webisode 6 : La vie s'accélère aux Sables d'Olonne por VendeeGlobeTV

The race starts in about a week

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Pogo 30

Looking good!!

//Mr W
Old 11-02-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I cannot resist to post photos two boats that caught my attention during my summer cruise. What do you think about them?

The boat on top sports a very odd sailplan. To my eye, the main is extremely small, and the spreaders look like they are swept back at least 45deg. , making the only main useless and chafeprone while reaching. Also, she is a little hard on the eyes.
Old 11-02-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Well guys, Dehler launches a new 38!

LOA 11,30 m
LWL 10,40 m
Beam 3,75 m

Draft 2,00 m standard – 2,30 m competition
Displacement 7 000 kg standard – 6 600kg competition
Ballast 2 250 kg standard – 2 000 kg competition
Mast length above WL 17,82 standard – 18,20 competition

Total sail area
79,3 m² standard
82,4m² competition

Main sail 43,7/46,0 m²
Furling Jib 35,6/36,4m² (105%)

Only a foot longer than Dufour 36 Performance but 600kg heavier, at least in cruising spec. Hmm...

I like the Dehler 38R that should have been released a couple of years back better :

LOA 11,46 m
LWL 10,48 m
Beam 3,75 m

Draft 2,40
Displacement (light) 5 400 kg

Main sail 48,6 m²
Jib 36,0 m²
Code 0 95,0 m²
Spinnaker (mast head) 129 m²
I was wondering when Dehler was going to address the gaping hole between 35 and 41 ft.. Maybe they will have a finished boat for Duesseldorf. Looks interresting. Hopefully the Dehler interior quality has not downgraded to Hanse standards.
Old 11-02-2012

New boat: Solaris 42

I post many types of boats that please many different sailors. I find them interesting and may beautiful but there are few that I like to own. This is one of those.

What a beautiful sailboat! Well some would say it is expensive but it costs not more than a HR for a similar quality, has a great interior and gives 2 times the sailing pleasure. I know, I know, some just like to cruise and want a sailboat that does the job with the least of sensations and max efficiency. Ok, ot is comprehensibly and makes sense...to some, I am not one of them

They say about the boat:

For over 35 years Solaris has been creating yachts with the same philosophy, designed and built to navigate safely for many years…

Design of the waterlines is entrusted to Soto Acebal, one of the world’s best naval architects, Ensuring excellent performance thanks to modern hull shapes and volumes designed for speed, stability and righting moment.

The main feature of this new 42’, planned and implemented during the design stage, is a particularly solid construction unaffected by deformation and torsion in all sea and wind conditions. For this reason the 42’, like all other Solaris models, boasts virtually unique reinforcing structures, that are very costly and not possible without labor-intensive techniques:

all the 40 mm thick composite bulkheads are laminated not only to the hull, but also and in particular to the deck without need of inner mouldings and silicone. …To further increase the structural stiffness all joinery is laminated to the hull. Moreover there is a structural continuity of the mast, main bulkhead, chainplates and keel attachment.
The 42’, thanks to a precise distribution of weight and ballast, shows reduced pitch and roll ensuring smooth sailing through the waves; the boat is perfectly balanced and light at the wheels, ensuring, safe, fast and enjoyable whelming...

The new 42’ is consistent with the philosophy that has always distinguished Solaris: building yachts for people who really go to sea and who appreciate: structural strength, stiffness and rigidity, combined with excellent performance in real time. All these are the real essence of seaworthiness.

Technicalcharacteristics Solaris One 42’
Loa 12.36 m
Beam 3.99 m
Draft 2.25/2.50/
Displacement 8.8t
Ballast 3.00 t
Mainsal 52 m2
Genoa (108%) 45 m2
Engine (Volvo Penta)40/55 hp
Fuel 220 l
Water 350 l
Designer Javier Soto Acebal
Interior design Lucio Micheletti

And I would say that this boat offers a moderated beam in what concerns modern tendencies (considerably lesser than most mass production 40ft cruisers) a modern hull with beam brought back (but nor really on the waterline), an highly efficient torpedo keel and an acceptable draft for cruising (2.25) while being enough to give a good performance to the ballast without the need of increasing it too much to compensate a lesser draft.

And with that high efficiency keel and considerable draft this boat has a a B/D of 34%. A stiff boat no doubt,

Not being an ultra light boat its weight is smaller than many mass production 40fts while having a sail area that will put it on the side of the more conservative performance cruisers.

A great boat, I am sure

I hope to see one on the Dusseldorf boat show. This one was presented in Hamburg.

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2012

Re: Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
I was wondering when Dehler was going to address the gaping hole between 35 and 41 ft.. Maybe they will have a finished boat for Duesseldorf. Looks interresting. Hopefully the Dehler interior quality has not downgraded to Hanse standards.
One of the things I have noticed on this boat was that the quality of the interior design was incomparably better than on the Dehler 41. I hope the quality too.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2012

Pogo 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Looking good!!

//Mr W
I am very curious about this boat. As you know the Pogo 30 is a remake of the Pogo 8.50, a famous boat on Pogo story. The Pogo 8.50 was the first Pogo that, being more pointed to competition, namely the Transquadra, was what we could call the first Pogo that was also presented as a boat that could be used as a camping cruising boat.

I expect the Pogo 30 to have a better cruising interior and certainly with its swing keel will be a better cruising boat, but will it be faster than the 8.50?

Let's have a look at the 8.50:

The boat won the 2001 Transquadra but the boat is not competitive anymore and since The jeanneau 3200 and the A31 come to scene the difference in real time on the Transquadra is huge. Can the Pogo 30 beat the A31? I have some doubts. The boat is very similar to the 8.50 but 64cms longer . It has more 10cm of beam (3.60 to 3.70m) has more 6m2 of sail (53 to 59m2) but regarding the weight we don't know nothing and I doubt the boat can be lighter than the 8.50 (2800kg), probably it will be heavier.

So, I am very curious because this will be very relevant in what regards the performance of two different types of boats, the A31 and the Pogo 30.

Of course we are talking about a Transat that is basically a downwind race. In a upwind race the A31 would smoke the 8.50. In fact the 8.50 and the Pogo 30 in what concerns racing will be limited to Transats or offshore downwind races while the A31 is not only a great solo boat but also a winner in regatta with a crew. Of course, the running rigging will be completely different for crew and solo racing.

The A31:

We don't know the Pogo 30 ballast or B/D ratio but probably it will be similar to the 8.50 (30%) That is low if compared with the one from the A31 (43%). So we have two very different hulls, one more narrow (3.23) but with a bigger B/D ratio and other beamier (3.60) but with a smaller B/D.

Till now the A31 comes out with flying colors but the A31 is a 9.55m boat against one with 8.50m. Now the things will be more even, with the 9.14m of the new Pogo 30. I guess we will have to wait for the next Transquadra to know

The new Pogo 30:

Last edited by PCP; 11-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2012

Pogo 50

New movie with the Pogo 50

I have to say I am not impressed: making 10.5K with 26.3K of wind at 100º is not a big deal for a performance 50ft boat ad the sea was pretty flat for that wind. Just to give you an example the XP 44, a boat with a better interior and smaller indicates on its ORC file 10.8K with 20k wind at 110º.

This impression is confirmed by the speeds measured on a test made by voile and voiliers. they got: 8.6K speed at 45º with 16k TW.......7.5K at 50º with 10k TW....8.3K at 110º with 9k TW....12K at 140º with 13k TW. All this with almost flat sea.

If we compare this values with the ones from the Xp44 ORC file: 8.53 at 52º with 16k wind, 7.80k at 52º with 10k wind, 8.44K at 120º with 10k wind. The 140º speed value is not comparable since on the ORC file it is a value without a Spinaker and they used a big geenaker om the Pogo test.

The angles are not exactly the same (I have to use the ones on the ORC file) and they slightly favor the Xp 44, but then the XP 44 is a 13.29m boat and the Pogo 50 a 15.10m boat.

I am sure Pogo will make the difference downwind with 25/30k winds, but then, who cruises with 30K winds?

On other hand, upwind with waves the Pogo's wave drag will be much bigger than the one of the Xp 44 and I am sure that those almost similar numbers will turn clearly in favor of the XP44. Of course we are talking about a smaller boat, now, if the new XP 50 proves to be proportionally faster regarding the XP44...

Polars, contrary top the values on a ORC file not always completely accurate but have a look at the XP 50 Polar speeds:

http://www.x-yachts.com/uploads/Xp_5...rtrait.pdf.pdf

And the XP 50 is a boat with a gorgeous cruising interior...of course, more expensive but probably faster than the Pogo almost all the time on normal sailing circumstances.

But we are only talking about speed. The Pogo 50, that seems to have a basic but decent and practical interior will be probably easier and simpler to sail than the XP 50 and it will be a more appropriated boat to sail downwind and that's what we do on a circumnavigation, where the Pogo, will be a perfect boat: Fast, stable, easy and with a ridiculously small draft for a boat of that size.

Last edited by PCP; 11-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
I cannot resist to post photos two boats that caught my attention during my summer cruise. What do you think about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
The boat on top sports a very odd sailplan. To my eye, the main is extremely small, and the spreaders look like they are swept back at least 45deg. , making the only main useless and chafeprone while reaching. Also, she is a little hard on the eyes.
I guess that "main" is mostly for balance the boat, a bad weather sail and a sail to be used (reffed) to have the boat straight to the wind on anchorage.

By hard on your eyes I guess you mean the rig? I agree but I think that will change with the sails up. Can you imagine? Rare, but not ugly. Probably it will make the boat look bigger. This rig gives plenty of power to the boat and will be very easy to handle. Downwind it will work like a dream, with both genoas polled to opposite sides.

On strong winds the smaller inner front sail and the small "main" will give it a perfect balance and I guess they will be able to take a lot of wind, tolled and reefed if needed.

It seems expensive to me but I can see me solo handling that big boat with ease, a lot more than the other one that has much bigger but also less sails

regards

Paulo
Old 11-03-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Pogo 30

Quote:
The boat is very similar to the 8.50 but 64cms longer . It has more 10cm of beam (3.60 to 3.70m) has more 6m2 of sail (53 to 59m2) but regarding the weight we don't know nothing and I doubt the boat can be lighter than the 8.50 (2800kg), probably it will be heavier.
The weight is stated by Pogo to 2800kg, let's hope it doesn't exceed that by much. It will definitely be interesting to hear some reviews of this boat. The boat looks better than I thought it would, I thought the freeboards would look much higher.

//Mr W