Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Renewables on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
One of the most interesting aspects in yacht development these days is in electric energy systems. The Acciona 100% Ecopowered Vendee Globe entry is a commendable racing campaign. Check out the power equipment on this vessel!

Energy on board ACCIONA 100% EcoPowered - Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - YouTube
Yes, That is remarkable. I had posted that video some time ago

They use the same brand and type of batteries I have installed on my boat, just not so many

From all the systems the one I like more is that water generator. I have posted already about that. It is really amazing and can deliver 500w at 8K speed (if I remember correctly). The product is already commercialized in racing and cruising version. It was developed for Transat racers, now it is available for cruisers too:

Emission de solution from Watt&Sea on Vimeo.

Hydrogenerateur Watt&Sea from Watt&Sea on Vimeo.

http://www.wattandsea.com/en/cruising-hydrogenerator

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-05-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012

Sea

On another thread there is a discussion about if an old sailing ship should or not have sailed on an hurricane, because some say it is safer on the sea.

Guys, stay safe out there. Any sailor that has not a big respect to the sea and is not afraid of bad weather ... is not a good sailor and probably is a bit crazy.

Some images to remind us that the sea is the boss and that we just do what he permits us to do.

Old 11-06-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Pogo 12.50

Last edited by G1000; 11-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2012

Pogo 12.50 charter.

That is not bad but for a Pogo downwind with a spinnaker it is a normal speed. Nice movie. Is that you on that boat?

I think that is a Pogo that is for charter in Greece.

I think that it is the same boat and here, they go fast

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-06-2012

Salona Yachts/Sydney yachts

Yes!!!

This is a great new and one I had not yet seen on any sailboat magazine!

I love Sydney yachts, they make my style more than the Pogo, but they were very expensive had no European dealer and if they had, any problem with the boat with be dealt not by the factory but by someone that would not give the same kind of warranty in their work and evaluation of the problem.

Not anymore on both counts:

Sydney yacht, the superb GTS 43 and 37, Ker designed boats, are going to be made in Europe by Salona

I don't know the therms of the deal but it should be a strong one since they are going to sell the boat for less money due to the use of industrial equipment.

This makes all the sense for both brands (I don't know if Salona had bought a share of Sydney yacht or not): Sydney will be able to sell less expensive boats in Europe and will have the benefice of Salona already installed dealership and Salona will pass to offer fast cruising boats and super fast cruising boats I mean boats that will be able to win in compensated and real time almost every race.

I think this have probably to do with Ker himself that has been working, in what regards production boats, mainly with these two brands.

Just a small press new from Sydney will Salona remained silent but has already in their site the Sydney yachts:

GTS 37 - Salona Yachts
GTS 43 - Salona Yachts

Sydney Yachts, the Australian manufacturer of performance racer / cruisers and AD Boats, builder of Salona Yachts reached an agreement on the production and distribution of Sydney Yachts.

As a first step, both companies agreed to enter into a global production and distribution contract. This agreement enables a selected group of Salona dealers to represent Sydney Yachts and their new GTS range. The latest model of Sydney Yachts is the GTS43....

"We are very proud to present this Australian icon to our dealers and performance orientated clients. The unique Sydney Yacht brand will continue to develop successfully under our multi-brand strategy with the new GTS37 to be presented soon."

" We see this cooperation as a natural progression of our very successful Salona Brand of cruiser racers and believe it will offer our customers more choice in the performance yacht market. Sydney Yachts will retain its own identity and operational independence", said Krešimir, director of AD Boats.

Sydney Yachts will now produce its yachts closer to their main markets and will benefit from AD Boat's strong dealer and service network.
"In AD Boats, a well-established manufacturer of sailing yachts in Europe known for Salona Yachts, we have found an ideal strategic partner who shares our values of customer focus, innovation, quality, and customer service."...

"The path is clear for a bright future together. This cooperation will enable us to significantly strengthen Sydney Yachts and further expand Sydney Yachts product portfolio with fascinating new performing yachts", said Darren Williams, managing director of Sydney Yachts.

This cooperation allows Sydney Yachts to deliver custom build quality for a production price. Sydney Yachts will be competitive with all known European production yards on price but with the advantage of our many years of experience in the development of performance racer cruisers for the tough Australian conditions.

This is am older model and it would nor be produced by Salona, at least right now, but it will give the idea about the interior that is a bit Pogo like but with doors

Last edited by PCP; 11-06-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Bavaria Vision 46 Review

Paulo,

I believe you were talking a bit about the new line from Bavaria. Here's a new review on youtube i found today (from yachting world). Enjoy!

Old 11-06-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Pogo 50: Surfing Petrel

Click for some detailed pictures of Pogo 50: Surfing Petrel
Old 11-06-2012

Re: Bavaria Vision 46 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Paulo,

I believe you were talking a bit about the new line from Bavaria. Here's a new review on youtube i found today (from yachting world). Enjoy!

Bavaria Vision 46 - YouTube

Thanks for posting it. I have posted already about this boat and it seems that Toby Hodges is reading what I post. I am kidding off course, but he says about the boat the same things I had said and confirm some others that I suspected, in what regards sailing. It is true that I would prefer a bit more B/D ratio but it seems that even like that the boat sails very well.

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

I had not been inside the boat yet but by the photos and designs the boat appeared to have excellent ergonomics, inside and outside and be different in what regards other deck saloons that are that way to have a king's aft bedroom and have worse ergonomics outside on account of that.

It is not the case with this one that also provides 4 winches, 2 in each side of cockpit at easy reaching from the wheel when the competition only provides two, making necessary to take the main sail out of the winch, or the genoa to use it.

It is not shown on the boat test but another interesting particularity is that it has a large locker one one of the sides of the boat (the boat comes standard only with one cabin on the back). Contrary to other DS boats this one is a better boat to live aboard and a better sailing boat in a sense that its ergonomics are better, it has a better and bigger storage space and it sails at least as well as the others, namely the Jeanneau DS that is a good sailing boat.

Lots of details that point out this boat was made to be out of the marina and that includes not only the big storage spaces but also very good holding points.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-06-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I noticed the winches too. Great convenience for short handed sailing IMO. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't technically a dedicated nav station down below. Not sure I dig that. As to ballast.......does that mean more beers will have to be stored below? :-)
Old 11-06-2012

Bavaria Vision 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
I noticed the winches too. Great convenience for short handed sailing IMO. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't technically a dedicated nav station down below. Not sure I dig that. As to ballast.......does that mean more beers will have to be stored below? :-)
A lot more

Regarding the nav station it does not surprise me. British are very traditional and want things even when they are not used. I sail a lot in places that need a lot of navigation, Croatia for example, that sometimes is a labyrinth between Islands so you have to prepare well the next day. What you need? :

A pilot book, that you can look in the table chart (on this boat also) but that I normally look at the main table to be able to discuss it with my wife, the paper chart that I also prefer to deploy on the main table for the same reason and some work on the plotter that can be made on the notebook on the main table, if you can read the charts on the notebook, or, in my case, have to use the second interior plotter that is far away from the main table where I prepare the voyage.

In fact in what regards what I do and use this is a more interesting solution than a dedicated and traditional chart table since it permits two persons to seat face by face, discussing over a pilot book and a map, with the plotter at hand, the next day trip.

There are a space for a plotter on the side of that multi-function table as well space for the VHF radio. For me, I would need more a Navtex and a good battery/consumption controller. I would transform the first cabinet on the other side of the table in a space for having that stuff with remaining space for an AIS screen or any other thing.

When I am sailing I use for navigation almost exclusively the outside plotter, near the wheel since I have already all needed information.

That space that is used as chart table, like it is, can be used for reading, for taking the breakfast but most of all if you have guests you can lower that table and convert the saloon in a really big saloon with lots of space for sitting in a very convivial manner. Great design in my opinion.

daviid likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 11-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.