Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Excellent thread guys, thanks for the discussion.
I'm in Trinidad right now with a dial-up connection, so I'll make this brief. Has anyone mentioned the RM 10.50?? This seems to be in the same sort of genre. Any comments? At initial glance, I like this boat!
RM's - nice but haven't sailed on one visited in boat shows.

Pretty good reputation as a do anything boat, but no-where near the performance of the Pogo, Bongo, etc type builds. Well thought out, a number of transat & other trips. Pricey but again, good reputation with the builders & owners.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
RM's - nice but haven't sailed on one visited in boat shows.
Pretty good reputation as a do anything boat, but nowhere near the performance of the Pogo, Bongo, .... Well thought out, a number of transat & other trips. Pricey but again, good reputation with the builders & owners.
Yes, I agree (not about the price). I have visited the factory and I was impressed. These boats deserve a special place in this thread (as very interesting boats), they are fast, but they are not on the same category of Pogo (or Bongo) so we will talk about them later...I will only say that I like them a lot...and that the RM 1200 is the boat my wife prefers (it could be worse ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Here is an english SF3200 site, just do the .com part for french, or hit the french flag in lower left.

sunfast3200, Sail boat
This is supposed to be the equal to a half an open 60. If funds were there, one about 3-4' or about 1-1.5 meters longer would be nicer frankly. But if one ended up in my slip, I'd be a happy camper! Hopefully this depression the US is having ends sooner than later so I can maybe order a new one. if not, then if I am lucky, someday maybe I can find a used one. I might have to go to Europe, oh well, buy use, do the transquandra, sail to east cost US, truck up here to the NW US! or sail thru panama up left coast to Washington where I am.......hmmmmmm

Another that interests me is the Beneteau Figarou(sp?) but the chance of getting one here in the states is slimmer than slim. It is not even listed on the US site, the European sites list it. I have not had a chance to really look it over, but from what I can tell, similar specs design usage of the SF/Pogo boats. Then again, an Open 40 would be kewl too!

Marty
Marty,

BB74 is right. The Figaro are race boats, less comfortable (for cruising) than a Sunfast 3200 and very technical boats…made for the best Ocean solo sailors to fight with equal arms. On the Figaro the guys from the open 60 meet with the kids from the Minis , and the “Figaristes” just to see who is the fastest.

I remember the comment of a well known Open 60 sailor that also races the “Figaro”: He says that perhaps the Figaro could have more “power” but while on an Open 60 they have to manage the boat (not to break) with a Figaro is full blast all the time – the boat can take anything.

But there is another boat that is adapted for what you want. It is an Oceangoing boat, a little faster than the Sunfast, bigger and a lot better under IRC racing: The A35

The boat is a winner. Take a look:

http://www.archambault-boats.eu/main...35PALMARES.pdf

It is also the boat that has won the last Transquadra in Duo. But for the Transquadra they fit the boat with a different Keel, for better efficiency ... but that would penalize the boat under IRC (that’s the stupidity of any rating rule, you do not design the better boat, but only the fastest boat under the rules).

They have a racing version but also a very fast cruising one…and that one comes with a very acceptable interior. Beautiful boat anyway.

BATEAUX ARCHAMBAULT

I believe you want to say a 40 class boat and not an Open 40. Almost all the 40 Class boats on the used market are racing boats. The cruising ones are very few....and with a 3 meters draft you are very limited in what regards cruising. Of course, if you plan to be a rich man , you can buy the new baby from Pogo, the 12.50.

Pogo

This one, like its little brother, the 10.50, has a movable keel and variable draft. An incredibly beatiful boat, even better than the 10.50 and with movable ballast...but at a price that is not for everybody, I am afraid (I want one).

Regarding the availability of these kinds of boats in the States, I would look to Maritinica. Lots of French boats there.

If you have the money go right now for this one :

Opium 39 Martinique

Very good price, very fast boat…and also a very good cruising one.

The Opium 39 is a Lombard designed boat. Its production (very small series) stopped some years back, but the design is so up to date that Wauquiez is going to start producing them, replacing its 40 cruising-racer

Wauquiez - Les Bateaux Lumière

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-09-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2010

Rn 1050

Quote:
Excellent thread guys, thanks for the discussion.
I'm in Trinidad right now with a dial-up connection, so I'll make this brief. Has anyone mentioned the RM 10.50?? This seems to be in the same sort of genre. Any comments? At initial glance, I like this boat!
Well you are not the only one liking this boat. This is the more popular boat of the RM range and RM is one of the boat manufacturers that has grown more in the last years. No crisis for RM.

As pictures can say a lot I will post some that are revealing. Take also a look at the interior on the 360º pictures (link at the end)) and at the boat technical characteristics and at some unusual ones: Big tankage, lots of stability (form stability and ballast), big rig, lots of sail, cutter rig, fine entries, twin keels almost racing setup in what concerns running rigging, big interior with lots of light, good quality, comfortable and functional interior with plenty views to the scenery....and made of wood. I mean marine plywood impregnated with epoxy. They say it makes a stronger boat, compared with the fiberglass ones.

RM YACHTS | Le concept

RM YACHTS | RM 1050

That's an unusual boat, to say the least...and if I say that this is a favorite boat among the French bluewater sailors and among the ones that really sail a lot, that it is very difficult to find them at the used market and that it is one of the boats that loses less value....you would have to agree that it is an interesting boat.

Visite 360°

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Paulo,
Imagine I'm buying you an RM1050,
is it going to be twin keel or single??
Old 04-10-2010

RM 1050 / Twin keels

Quote:
Paulo,
Imagine I'm buying you an RM1050,
is it going to be twin keel or single??
That's not possible cause I have not one but I think all of them (10.50) are twin keel. Everybody goes with the twins.

The shipyard says about it:

"Jusqu’à aujourd’hui, nous étions et restons totalement convaincus de l’excellence des biquilles conçus par Marc Lombard et mis en œuvre chez RM : tirant d’eau réduit, couple de rappel optimisé, plan anti-dérive parfait, stabilité de route, capacité à échouer, performances étonnantes à toutes les allures.
Ce principe de biquilles performantes, que nous sommes les seuls au monde à exploiter, reste un des axes fondamentaux de notre politique. Cependant, autant nos clients français en ont parfaitement compris la pertinence, autant les marchés export restent dubitatifs…

A la demande de nos importateurs dans les différents pays où RM est présent (Espagne, Italie, Norvège, Grande Bretagne), nous avons décidés de proposer une version GTE (Grand tirant d’Eau) en monoquille pour les RM1050 et RM1200. Marc Lombard travaille actuellement sur les dessins de quilles, de sorte que nous puissions équiper les RM1050 et RM1200 qui le demanderont à compter de l’automne 2008."

I mean, if you really want, they will make you a single keel (only proposed very recently) but the original concept is a Twin. The twin keels are almost as performant as the single (minimal difference really) and have the added advantage of less draft and the possibility of putting the boat out of the water, for small repairs or antifouling, or just to go at the beach .

The single keel is proposed more for the 1200 and especially for the 1350, for the guys that want to do offshore racing. They are not ridiculous at that. An RM 1200 has done well on a med offshore race against racing boats (3th and 4th) and this 1350 (look at the link) is going to race the "Route du Rhum" (famous and big transat) and I bet that it is going to be among the first cruisers-racers, if not the first (and the boat was not even designed as a cruiser-racer, but as a fast cruiser):

RM YACHTS | Actualités

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2010

FWIW - youtube of the Pogo 10.50...

YouTube - cocody spiouestfrance dimanche 4

Maiden voyage they hit 20 knots...

or Spi Quest race...

Makes everything get a whole lot closer!

Last edited by bb74; 04-12-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2010

Wow! That's my idea of fun. They are having so much fun they shout out of pleasure!!!

Thanks for the videos.

I know that a lot of guys are going to look at the videos and are going to say: That's a racing boat, for racing sailors.

No, it is not, it is a cruising boat for sailors that like to have pleasure while sailing. That's the same boat that we have posted about in this thread, the one that can pull the keel up and go right to the beach . If you take a good look you can see that the boat is going straight as an arrow and that the tiller guy is relaxed and the boat is fully in control while the other guys are just enjoying the ride.

Easy, fast and versatile....What a boat

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-12-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2010

Exactly!

Stable at speed - you could be down under making coffee & a snack for the crew at 20 knots because the boat is stable at speed.

Even the upwind routes are pretty good, stability and pounding wise. I was supposed to do a test sail in April but calendars permitting, it may be more along the lines of May now.

Finot knows how to design boats and I can't wait to try this one!

and for those wondering about the Figaro (another Finot boat btw...)

Last edited by bb74; 04-12-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Cool!
Andy Lepiarczyk sailed a Figaro single handed around the world last year.
I have spoken to him about it a number of times but haven't managed to see his boat yet "mighty chicken" Perhaps next time home I'll get a chance.
Old 04-13-2010

Voyage

Quote:
Cool!
Andy Lepiarczyk sailed a Figaro single handed around the world last year.
I have spoken to him about it a number of times but haven't managed to see his boat yet "mighty chicken" Perhaps next time home I'll get a chance.
What a name for a boat

If someone want to know more about a 60 year old guy circunavigating in a small modern and fast boat:

West Van resident conquers open seas

Pogoria.org - Off Around the World

Be carefull with the last one. Unless you speack Pollish, click only on the links on the end of the page.

He says that the average speed was 132 miles a day. That gives an average of 5.5K. Not bad

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 10:41 AM.