Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yeah,... figured as much.. We would also be subject to 9% duty as it's not North American built...

- Off to buy a lottery ticket!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Comfortina 39

Faster, from the exclusive, impeccably well made boats, probably the most affordable one is the Comfortina 39. It is also the one I prefer. well I find the Diva nicer, but this one it is faster and has a huge stability (that's why he is fast, that and the sail area).

A very seaworthy boat with everything you need (or I should say I need ) for extensive cruising, in the smallest package.

And when I say fast, I really mean fast. On the sail-test by the German magazine "Yacht" (serious guys) the speeds with 6K of wind and flat water were:

At 42º-5.4 60º-5.6 90º-6.2 120º-5.2 180º-4.8

And that is no event the best performing area of the boat (light winds) this boat is even better when things get rough. This boat only needs to reef with winds over 20k and that means lots of POWER .

I have been inside this boat several times and it is just beautiful, trust me

The price for a very well equipped boat should be around 260 000 euros (without European taxes, I mean export price).

http://www.comfortina.co.uk/pdfs/comfortina-39.pdf

Comfortina 39 - Luxury Sailing Yachts, Southampton

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Do not know what it looks like, other than following in the footsteps of the 409, Jeanneau will have a 439 at the Paris boat show. I find a link in a bit.

Marty

here we go
Sun Odyssey 439

Last edited by blt2ski; 10-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2010

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

Marty I don't know how you manage it but in what regards Jeanneau you are the man

I have found the 409 interior great, but I confess that the exterior looked a bit "effeminate" to me.

This one looks perfect. That's a very nice boat. I only hope the interior to be as good as the one on the 409

Sun Odyssey 439

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2010

Salona 41

Guys, dream boats are dream boats, and will be someone's reality, but not mine. Just too expensive for me.

For the kind of budget I have I believe that I have made my choice (of course in the meantime something more interesting could appear ). Well I haven't really decided what is going to be my budget. I don't want to spend everything on a boat, I want to have some money to have fun cruising with the boat

For now, for a budget of around 125 000 euros (more Vat) I would pick the Elan 350, hands down. I have never been inside one and I need to check if the storage and interior space is really enough. I will take a look at one at the Paris boat show.

ELAN Marine - Sail - Sail Yachts

For a budget of around 150 000 euros (more Vat) I would pick the Elan 380. I know well this one and I love it. But I would not buy one right now:

I would wait till next year to have a look at the new Salona 38. If it turns out as beautiful as the new 41 I would probably chose that one. Why? because they are a smaller company that allows some boat customization and because they have an inox steel grid inside the boat that takes all the stress from the keel and shrouds, making it a stronger boat. If you really ask they even will put more ballast on the bulb (the grid can easily take it) and that will give you a more forgivable and safer boat, a boat that can be reefed later, an easier boat, in a word, a better cruising boat. And it will be fast anyway, it will not be 300kg more that it will make it slower (unless you are a racer) and probably it will make it even a faster boat with strong winds and heavy seas .

ELAN Marine - Sail - Sail Yachts

For a Budget of 180 000 euros (more Vat) I would have the new Salona 41.
It has all the advantages that I mentioned about the 38 and it is a very beautiful boat. The only snag would be that it has not a hull port view and that's important for me and even more to my wife, but the boat has just the right spot to put it and I know they will put one there if you really insist.

It costs about the same as the Elan 410 (I like also that one) and it is probably even faster and to my eyes, more beautiful. It is also a narrower boat and that will give it a more comfortable sea motion even if that translates in a marginal bigger heeling.

I have been at the factory this summer and I was very pleased with what I saw. Enthusiastic people doing with pride a nice boat, people that care about quality and use the best high tech building technics. This boat can also be made in epoxy based vinylester and that will made it even stronger, lighter and osmose free.

I saw the first 41, almost finished...and what a boat. The right amount of storage and a good interior with two freezers. Just perfect if we discount the hull ports . I tried the cockpit and I know that I would just fit perfectly on this boat . If things went right for me, I would not need to look further, but with vat this one would cost about 230 000 euros and that is a lot of money Not saying that it is expensive for that boat, I think that Salona has one of the best quality/price rates on the market, but it still is a lot of money for a boat.

They released some photos, one of them unfortunately with a very bad taste deco that almost makes ugly a beautiful boat. I join also one with the inox grid steel being put in place. On the shipyard I saw one inside a boat. It looks really great, I would not have designed it better

(for the ones that are new to this thread there is a lot of information, photos and videos about the Elan 380 and the Elan 350. Use the thread search engine to find it) .

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB...salona_41_.swf

new Salona 41 - Salona Yachts

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2010

Django 7.70

Guys, I would like to tell you about what is probably the biggest comparative boat test sail on the planet

It is made every year by the French magazine "Voile magazine". You think I am exaggerating? Well this year they had 23 boats, all at the same time on the water, most of them 2009 and 2010 models. For testing the boats,they took 3 days, the 7 journalists from the magazine, the 60 invited readers and 20 boat builders

The readers were chosen among the most experienced sailors and sailors that have and sail similar boats to the ones that they are going to test. That way they know what they are talking about They make several group boats, by size and by characteristics (cruiser, cruiser racer, classic and son on).

I had heard already lots of good things about this year overall winner but it comes as a surprise because it is not only a small boat but it is also a boat made by a very small boatyard. The winner is the Django 7.7 (25.6ft). The Django 7.7 has the mini racers as model, but comes with a very nice and functional interior, for its size.

One of the members of the jury was Alessandro di Benedeto, that recently has beaten the record for the the sailor that completed a solo non stop circumnavigation with the smallest boat...the boat was a mini (modified), of course

Some of the testers said about the Django: " I love it. That's a multivalent boat: It can do coastal cruising but can also do offshore cruising. The interior is plain but functional and a good quality one...Very good looking boat, powerful, fast...very easy to maneuver... the boat is so well balanced that we can let go the tiller while under spinnaker... interior luminous and panoramic."

Marée Haute - Home

http://www.bretagne-info-nautisme.fr...s_31.12.09.pdf

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/img/...sai-django.jpg

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2010

Rm 1060

We had a look at the RM 1060 here:

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

There are not many boats that look better on real live than in the drawings. The RM 1060 does.

I find it just perfect for its size with a huge tankage for the boat size and a really big galley.

I have more photos, the first ones on the water and the boat looks really fast . Also an interesting detail on the twin Keel drawings (the boat can also have a deeper single keel).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Seriously cool bit of kit. If I was a young bloke, I'd be hot to trot.

cheers

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-26-2010

myocean is on a distinguished road
Yes, this is a really interresing boat.
I wonder if they will introduce a bigger one as well?
This is a bit too small for long haul sailing with family.

Ulf
Old 10-26-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
The 1060 is THE boat for me, if I went for this size.
Slightly smaller by 2 1/2' is the First 30, which I'm leaning towards now.
BTW, I have now come up with a plan which I shall reveal later!