Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I'm so smitten with these boats, it's ruining me now as we keep looking at ones we can afford. Thanks for sharing though...these boats are gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Incredible stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Don't try willing to risk their lives and boats in such an incredible rescue?
Impressive efforts.. quite the amount of damage so it appears they spent some time bouncing off the rip rap breakwater/beach.. If they were incapacitated by the rope around the prop I still wonder why they were unable to sail the boat into the lee of the harbour....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsullyec1 View Post
I'm so smitten with these boats, it's ruining me now as we keep looking at ones we can afford. Thanks for sharing though...these boats are gorgeous.
Thanks. Dreaming is for free...and even if few can own them today, one day these boats will be used boats with an affordable value for many.

Changing subject and looking at some great sailing and great images, on Trophée Sémac, on Marseille. With the Mistral blowing they did not cancel the races and 13 boats went out to race with winds that have blown over 40K. It seems that those that went out knew that they could do it safely. No casualties and great racing

Old 11-11-2012

Re: Incredible stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Impressive efforts.. quite the amount of damage so it appears they spent some time bouncing off the rip rap breakwater/beach.. If they were incapacitated by the rope around the prop I still wonder why they were unable to sail the boat into the lee of the harbour....
I guess than in high winds there are many that trust more in their engine than in their sails... and to use sail in high winds it is necessary to be used to do it...just gessing

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-11-2012

Classics: Folkboat

The Nordic Folkboat is a small sailboat, rigged as a sloop. The design of this boat was the result of a competition held by the Scandinavian Yacht Racing Union in 1942, who were hoping to create an easily sailed and low cost boat. The competition produced no outright "winner " but, taking the best features of a number of the entries received, the organizers commissioned professional designer Tord Sundén to create a craft that met the goals of the design competition. The resulting boat went on to become an international favorite of sailors and still endures more than 70 years after its design. The first Nordic Folkboat was built in Göteborg in Sweden, and as of 2007, more than 4000 Nordic Folkboats are still sailing around the world.

Well, not classic traditional boats as many think, but a racing boat from the 40's anyway a nice design and.... they still race

Well 4000 thousand boats sailing and they are still made in a shipyard in Pärnu, Estonia. They have made 900

They say about the boat:

With this ship you can sail either sportily or comfortably. At the weekend you can sail with your friends on the race track, or take your family out on a fabulous day trip. Due to the large cabins, the safe cockpits and a lot of new equipment possibilities, the ship is perfect for seafarings and regattas. Your boat can be ready to sail, for either Regatta or Competitions, in 30 minutes! It is completely sea worthy and has been tested in bad weather.

And they give a 7 year warranty on the boat

A 7 year guarantee speaks for itself! A folkboat is top quality and a MUST-HAVE in the world of sail boats. If you like classic yachts then a folkboat is the boat for you. The value of a folkboat remains stable, based on the above average quality and a high re-sale value. If you desire, the maintenance costs can also be reduced to a minimum, as being on land and with winter storage, the home drive saves a lot of maintenance.

Folkboat - the new classic

I have to say that it kind of makes sense and the boat is beautiful. Take a look:

Last edited by PCP; 11-11-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2012

Marsvinet is on a distinguished road

Yes, the folkbåt is a beauty.

However, it has a modest sail area, and the performance is in general "vintage"

The trick is finding a boat that has classic looks, modern performance and accommodation in one hull.

The Moody 41 is a good mix of these conflicting requirements.

Last edited by Marsvinet; 11-12-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added more
Old 11-12-2012

Classic looking boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsvinet View Post
Yes, the folkbåt is a beauty.

However, it has a modest sail area, and the performance is in general "vintage"

The trick is finding a boat that has classic looks, modern performance and accommodation in one hull.
Yes, that would not be a problem. There are several ones, however the price can be a problem

I am not saying that the price is not fair but obviously a boat that is made in a small series and that has to look very good will always be an expensive one, if compared with the main market of produced boats. Are you interested in having one, in that case in what size, or just like them?

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-12-2012

Vendee Globe

First big option in what regards the weather:

Today will likely see the first real strategic choices needing to be made and the question is where the fleet will split. A small but active depression is forming to the NW of the fleet and is well established to the NE of the Azores by Tuesday afternoon and evening. This offers the opportunity to get west, accepting the first tax of having some initial brisker upwind conditions but subsequently there is the obvious benefit of fast sailing in 25kt NW’ly winds at the back of the low And in general west usually is best

It seems that half of them are going to one side (near Canaries) and the other by the other side (more near Açores).

I would beat on near Canaries: Less pressure but more favorable winds. I guess that is because I would not like to go close to the wind in 20, 25K winds for several days and I guess that on more clement conditions you will get less tired and more able to drive the boat at 100%.

Check out the weather button on the upper left to see what I mean. It seems François Gabart is choosing what I would chose. One more reason to like the guy Vicent Riou, the veteran that is second seems to have choose the other option. It will be interesting

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking
Old 11-12-2012

Marsvinet is on a distinguished road
Re: Classic looking boats

Quote:
Yes, that would not be a problem. There are several ones, however the price can be a problem

I am not saying that the price is not fair but obviously a boat that is made in a small series and that has to look very good will always be an expensive one, if compared with the main market of produced boats. Are you interested in having one, in that case in what size, or just like them?

Regards

Paulo
Hi Paulo,

One of the things that have dawned on me during these posts with you, is that "hand made in Italy" never goes hand in hand with "affordable" So, reality will probably dictate me to give up on this particular boat.
When it comes to the truly beautiful modern classics like Spirit, i find them to much of a fetish and not "real boats" in the sense that it needs endless work to keep up appearances, and you will allways be afraid of damaging it.

The Calypso, i find interesting because it brings light displacement together with a roomy 2 cabin interior in a single handed friendly 36 feet. The end result is doomed to look a bit tubby but i am not the type to give away practicality for looks.

In the real world where i will have to buy the boat and do my own maintenance, "classic looks" will be the first to give, so right now, i look forward to more news on the Sydney 37 GTS
Old 11-12-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
This is a great video, Paulo. Thanks.

1. Can you tell me more about this boat and the captain?
2. He did not tether at all when sailing solo and walking around on the deck
3. What are those two side wing posts for? They both seem attach to the foot of the mast.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.