Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

****, I am really sad with what happened to Marc and even more with what happened to Kito. It is supposed the motorboats to keep away from sailing but I guess this one was fishing so it is Kito fault. The important thing is that he had to retire from the race and it is the second one do have to do so. Stupid accident

“I am cursed. The Vendée Globe is not for me. ” That was the conclusion of the bitterly disappointed Kito de Pavant this Monday afternoon, despairing at the harsh reality that his challenge to complete the Vendée Globe is, again, very prematurely over.

For the second successive edition of the race this charismatic, twinkle eyed skipper from Port Camargue in the Mediterranean is having to withdraw.

His Groupe Bel suffered serious damage when he was hit by a fishing trawler whilst racing in 11th place, around 45 miles off the Portuguese coast about 75 miles NW of Cascais at around 1000hrs CET this morning.

De Pavant described it as a ‘stupid accident’ grabbing some minutes of sleep when he was awoken by a bang. With damage to Groupe Bel’s outrigger – the deck spreader which supports the rig – losing his bowsprit and sustaining a hole in the hull and deck he announced his retirement this afternoon.

The Groupe Bel skipper’s second attempt at the Vendée Globe effectively ended a little more than 68 hours after the start, a cruel reprise after he lost his mast within 24 hours of the start of the 2008-9 race.

He is unhurt and was making to Cascais where he was expected to arrive this Tuesday evening.

“ All of that energy spent over months and years to prepare, all this is terrible. There is no bowsprit, there is a hole in the front of the hull but the boat itself is safe.To leave the Vendée Globe again, after just two days of racing, is not even possible, not even possible.” De Pavant told his team this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2012

Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is a great video, Paulo. Thanks.

1. Can you tell me more about this boat and the captain?
2. He did not tether at all when sailing solo and walking around on the deck
3. What are those two side wing posts for? They both seem attach to the foot of the mast.
Sure. The boat is a 2007 one, deigned by Finot/Conq, and had already made one Vendee Globe with Armel Le Cléac’h, finishing second.

Archives Yachts - Multiplast

Bertrand de Broc is the skypper and had already entered two times (1992 and 1996) on this race, being forced to retire on both occasions. On the last one he raced the boat most the keel and capsized only two days before completion of the circumnavigation

I and many others still remember those incredible images of him stitching his own tongue in the middle of the Indian Ocean after being badly hit by the boom

It is not really a top racer in the class and has not any victories (some podiums) but has some impressive victories in crew races namely the very difficult and highly considered Tour de France: Victories in 2004 and 1998. It is also a Figaro racer and has 2 second places and a third on Transats, the last one in 2010. Of course, it is a hell of a sailor, as most, if not all, these guys are.

Regarding this edition he had to come back after hitting a boat at the start of the race, repaired and is on again, after losing 12 hours. It is the last but I believe not for much time

Regarding the movie, yes Open60 at speed are incredible boats and it seems incredible that one lonely guy can control such amount of power.

This is Marc on Safran, the guy that had already to retire after losing the keel. He should be devastated.

Those two poles give more support to the mast since the angle of the shrouds is much larger and regarding being tethered, they use it when they consider the weather is bad but I guess that bad weather for then is not what is for us bad weather

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2012

millerandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Like rockDawg, I was very curious about whether he was tethered. Seemed like conditions warranted it (but I'm just a lake sailor (Allatoona Dawg!) I thought maybe I was just missing the tether somehow.

Andy
Old 11-12-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

IMHO, you should be clipped in any time you are on the boat by yourself, out of swimming distance of shore.
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
IMHO, you should be clipped in any time you are on the boat by yourself, out of swimming distance of shore.
Hum, that is me and you and even so when I sail solo I only clip myself when I leave the cockpit with some wind and bad weather, not at all times for sure. I guess this depends how sure you are and what confidence you have in the safety of what you are doing.

Do you pretend to tell how to sail safely to guys that solo circumnavigated several times, made many sail transats solo, always racing and are here to tell the story?

When you are racing a tether takes much of your mobility. They only use them when they think there is a risk and what is safe for them it would not be safe for me and I guess, you.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-12-2012
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1

I know absolutely nothing about racing, but to watch it fly through the waters is a beautiful thing.
Old 11-12-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you PCP! I feel better now . . .
Old 11-12-2012

Open 60

Ok, Vendee Globe and all let's have a look at some of the boats (and skippers) to understand what is this all about, I mean regarding boats for the job.

Those hugely powerful boats are a major influence in modern design of cruising boats precisely because they are designed to be easy to sail since they are sailed by a lonely sailor, that has to sleep fom time to time. Easy to sail, stable and fast boats is what all cruisers want...well, not so powerful maybe

Old 11-12-2012

Capt.Redbird is on a distinguished road

I test sailed the new TARTAN 4000. She is a pretty awesome performance cruiser. Where is she on this list? And the C&C 101? The US is still building a few cool boats...
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Redbird View Post
I test sailed the new TARTAN 4000. She is a pretty awesome performance cruiser. Where is she on this list? And the C&C 101? The US is still building a few cool boats...
You are welcome and even if this thread is not a list and everybody can post about a boat that he or she thinks it is interesting (according to the rules that were posted on the first post), the boats you mention were already posted on this thread. You are an year and a half late

The C&C 101: posts 1945; 1946; 1947.

The Tartan 4000: 1350; 1974; 1976; 2011; 2023.

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

Regards

Paulo