Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

And there they are, at the doldrums (It is derived from dold, an archaic term meaning "stupid", and -rum(s), a noun suffix found in such words as "tantrum")-WikiPed.

So they are on that stupid place were the wind does not blow. The French call it"le Pot au Noir" literally a pot with a black content. It was used by old sailors to describe a black and dangerous situation. If this pass is difficult to boats that need 3K wind to move, imagine that on ships that needed at least 10k to move

"The top six boats have entered the Doldrums and from making over 15 knots 24 hours ago, the leader, Armel Le Cléac’h (Banque Populaire), was down to 1.8 knots in the hour before the 1600hrs (French time) ranking. ...

The Intertropical Convergence Zone, known better as The Doldrums or le Pot au noir, as the French say, will be the first test of the skippers routing skills. The compression in the fleet has been immediate with from Francois Gabart (Macif), closing to 26.8 miles and Thomson in sixth winning back 50 miles in sixth, 62.4 miles behind. But it is the time that it will take to get south-west rather than miles that count now. The first through to the trade winds on the other size will pull away quickly.

The Doldrums are a lottery with conditions changing by the hour as the skippers try and jump from cloud to cloud. But the thunderstorms, that are to be avoided at all costs and can appear as quickly as they disappear, greeted Le Cléac’h as he arrived in the zone this morning.

The Doldrums had looked less active the day before but that could be the nightmare scenario as it might mean the leaders face the beginning of a cycle. But it remains guesswork for meteorologists and the boats could emerge on Tuesday morning."

They all closed on Armel and Alex joined the front pack. Alex is in 6th place and at only 62Nm from the leader. Great race out there

I have looked to the meteo information for the next days here on the top left:

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

and it seems to me they are in deep s..t

If I was there I would not know what was the best course. I guess I just would have tried to sail south. These guys are brighter and I hope they come with different and more creative options. Let's see. It is in situations like this that they can win a lot of miles, I mean if they are not following the same options.

Well for now they are all following the same path I hope some changes soon.

Last edited by PCP; 11-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012

Re: Vestas Sailrocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Tweet from the VESTAS Sailrocket 2 team, 16 November 2012, 17:34:13:

"That's it... We've smashed the arse off it! 59 knot average."

Not long before they break 60 knot average!

//Mr W
Yes, it seems that they have beaten the record and that average was during a 500m course. They are just waiting for the WSSRC ratification. They peaked at 63K. That's crazy and the voice of the guy on that machine sounded excited but also scared

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-19-2012

Alex Thomson on Hugo Boss

We know now that Alex had big problems...and even so managed to repair at speed, joined nonetheless the front pack.

Well, Chapeau Alex, well done, I am impressed

I hope it sticks!!!

L'incroyable réparation d'Alex Thomson por VendeeGlobeTV
Old 11-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Are these guys mad or funny? :Arnaud Boissières time for the morning bath
Bit of both ? Hey is that guy really short or is there really that much headroom under the overhead/dodger setup ?

Nice boats Paulo. Polar is very nice but that galley tucked away up front would get pretty hot and sticky.

Azzure ticks a lot of boxes but I'm afraid both of them are way too much boat for me.

You know, I've long thought that when the time comes to downsize back into a day sailor then I might just end up in a FolkBoat.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-20-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Pogo 12.50

Well, if this is as fast they say it is... then it´s fast!

''

//Mr W
PCP likes this.
Old 11-20-2012

Re: Pogo 12.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Well, if this is as fast they say it is... then it´s fast!

//Mr W
That's fast...but it does not seem they are going at 20K even less at 25K

Strange choice of sails: Only main? If the wind increases they will be in trouble. They will not be able to lower the main without turning to the wind and turning to the wind only with the main it will be very difficult even with the engine helping. Maybe it is different with a Pogo but I doubt it.

Anyway we can confirm that a Pogo 12.50 is very easy to sail and even sailed in a "strange" way and fast the boat remains stable and safe.

Regards

Paulo
Mr W likes this.
Old 11-20-2012

Vendee Globe

Armel is out of the "pot", is doing 7.4K and will get more wind soon. The others on front pack are averaging 5.5K and they seem almost out. Complicated night for the front pack and the winners are Armel that is going away, Vincent that is second now and Alex that while doing a big repair on the boat comes to 3th.

They are all very close: Armel is 26Nm away and increasing the distance from the 2th to the 6th is only 1.6Nm.

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Cartographie
Old 11-20-2012

Crabber Pilot cutter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Bit of both ? Hey is that guy really short or is there really that much headroom under the overhead/dodger setup ?

You know, I've long thought that when the time comes to downsize back into a day sailor then I might just end up in a FolkBoat.

No these boats can teach a thing or two in what regards sea protection to VOR boats. Let's hope that the new VOR, that will be the same to everybody, will take that in consideration because I think it was only by chance that we didn't have any serious accident this year: A massive wave entering directly by the bow at 30k and sweeping all the deck is a very dangerous thing for the guys that get it directly in their chests

Yes, that overhead has almost standing weight. Some boats have even bulbs to achieve standing weight and this one even permits to lock forward without being hit violently by a cold shower.

Regarding traditional boats I understand very well what you mean. As you know, for having the privilege to sail my boat in unknown nice places In the summer months I leave it abroad and I miss sailing in the winter. I guess that for the winter I would not mind to have a well protected nice and cozy boat not necessarily fast (I would only be sailing locally) and curiously I would not mind to have the boat I wanted to have when 30 years ago I sailed my traditional boat. Yes it is a boat that it is made with some minor alterations for a long time and based on famous and seaworthy traditional boats, these ones:

I know very well how much work and money cost the maintenance of one of these babies and I am grateful that there are guys that keep them in shape (I have done my share). These are lovely boars to be held by a community of several sailors or a club, not a boat to be owned by a solo sailor.

But then there is the one I was talking about, the Crabber, an heavy fiberglass boat that does not look like a plastic boat and has a lovely interior. It was with this one I dreamed about. It has an inconvenient, it was and it is expensive for the size

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-20-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2012

Vendee Globe/The Sunday Times Golden Globe Race

Dedicated to all that think that nothing fundamental changed in the last 50 years in sailboat design.

44 years separate this edition of Vendee globe from the first non stop race. Let's have a look at the "The Sunday Times Golden Globe Race " and to its winner and to the boats.

The winner and the first man to circumnavigate non stop was a British and a great sailor Robin knox- Jonhston, now Sir (very British). The Man is well and you can read his monthly articles on Yachtingworld Magazine. 38 years after his first circumnavigation race, In 2006 with 67 years of age, he completed another around the world solo race in the VELUX 5 Oceans Race (with scales).

He was the only one to finish that first non scale solo circumnavigation but two more sailors become famous for different reasons: Bernard Moitissier and Donald Crowhurst. We will talk about them. Now it is the time for the winner: Robin knox- Jonhston

Robin Knox-Johnston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by PCP; 11-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Thanks for the great clips. Much has truly changed over 40 years, many of those changes have come about due to the brave men and women racing around the world, they have made sailing much more enjoyable and safer for all of us.

Enjoyed the horn clip, watched it with a good glass of single malt and a peanut butter sandwich. Maybe in my next lifetime I will do the horn, then again maybe before then.

Cheers

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.