Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Allures 45

Almost a year back we have talked about the new Allures 45 and recently about the Boreal 44. Those two boats are a notch over the OVNI, at least the old line, in quality (and in price too) and as I have said it is one of the types of boats the French sailors use for voyaging and eventually to circumnavigate.

YachtingMonthly tested recently the Allures 45 and the movie is on internet. This one is ready to go, I mean circumnavigate and I guess you are going to understand why the French like them to do extensive voyaging

This, like the Boreal is a centerboarder that can be beached. The performance looks more then adequate for a centerboarder full loaded to circumnavigate.

I love the dedicated space for the outboard

Another test and some more movies:

Last edited by PCP; 11-22-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2012

Vendee Globe.

As you have noticed Stamm the Swiss sailor afer been on the top of the race has been losing some distance to the leader. Not much(68nm) and is still om the leading pack. Honestly I thought that he could not keep the rhythm anymore. It seems I was wrong:

Among the leaders, Bernard Stamm - curretly 5th - seemed to have chosen quite an unusual route, and his speed was 1 or 2 knots slower than the other skippers' in the leading pack. The Swiss sailor gave more details about his situation during Friday's radio vac. Since sailing through the Doldrums, he has been unable to use his genoa, which got damaged in the intertropical convergence zone.

« The sea was pretty chaotic and in a windless area, the boat was shaken really hard, one of the centreboards went up and it tore up the genoa. In order to keep progressing, I had to take a route that goes further east than the others, otherwise it would have slowed me down a lot. ». The skipper has also been busy taking care of an autopilot issue and he has't been able to sleep much lately. « I'll soon be done with the repairs, the end of he punishment is coming! », the sailor explained on Friday morning.

Nice we will have a top racer again.

On the top of the race the only François is recovering slowly distance to the leader (Armel) all the others are losing. Well it seems that my hopes on François regarding speed were not unfounded
Old 11-23-2012

Nordship 430

We have posted about already about it and know YachtingMonthly has tested the boat and well, they could not have said better.

I have already talked extensively about other Northsips (380 and 40ds) and I have said that these boats impress me very much. I had been inside the boats and talked with the builder and the overall quality is just among the best I had ever seen. Besides that recent models (including those two) are good sailing boats, I mean in what regards sailing. Obviously not performance cruisers but they are not slow as the older models. They don't need much wind to sail and can sail with much wind with remarkable comfort and with an easy motion.

I just love the interiors. They impress me more that the ones from HR, Najad or almost any other boat. Great boats for the ones that are looking for a true DS and have the money for them. Has most things in live that are very good, they are expensive.

Old 11-23-2012

Nordship 380

The Nordship 430 is a great boat but t I find the 430 an overkill for my needs.

In what regards space, I find the 380 the more interesting of all the Nordships : It has more storage space than many 42fts and a really nice living space.

I agree with that boat tester when he says that the storage space of the 430 is amazing and that quality is shared by all other Nordships

The 380 has enough storage space even to cross Oceans and an adequate on for long distance cruising besides that I remember that the the builder and designer said to me that the boat was almost as fast and sometimes faster than the 40ft and it does not seem to me a lot slower than the 430 that seems to be proportionally an heavier boat,

I find the 380 outside design a very well balanced one. Take a look and be amazed with the interior space. I will tell you, when I am really old I am going to want one and If I was living aboard all year long and I had to choose a 38ft, I would choose this one (if I had the money for it, but that is another story).

Old 11-23-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Interesting interior design concept. Like how you can work on the engine but not crazy about the aft berth being so wide. Guess the lee cloth would go right down the middle but still seems a bit too wide to brace yourself into while on a rolling passage. Having a tight passage berth is so important when one is trying to get some sleep while off watch. If you took out the center table across from the engine box and had a lee cloth there that would be a very good passage berth. And it would be very close to the companionway.
Old 11-23-2012

Nordship

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Interesting interior design concept. Like how you can work on the engine but not crazy about the aft berth being so wide. Guess the lee cloth would go right down the middle but still seems a bit too wide to brace yourself into while on a rolling passage. Having a tight passage berth is so important when one is trying to get some sleep while off watch. If you took out the center table across from the engine box and had a lee cloth there that would be a very good passage berth. And it would be very close to the companionway.
If you look at the 430 test you will see that the tester says briefly (and shows the lock) that you can take away the table between the two settees on the library/tv room and make a sea berth there.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-23-2012

Archipelago raid

Great fun in a beautiful scenery (Sweden Archipelago):

Old 11-24-2012

Nordship 360

A nice movien and a diapotama about the Nordship 360 that is incredibly beautiful for a deck saloon with 36ft. Not that the boat is specially beautiful as a sailing boat just that it is almost impossible (in my opinion and to my idea of beauty) to make a 36ft deck saloon not to look tubby and out of proportion. This one is on that aspect a very good design.

I just find that with just more 2ft the 38 offers much more space. It is true that it is also considerably more expensive. Anyway the 36ft will make an wonderful coastal cruiser for two and many don't desire or wish more than that. I guess that for some this boat would also be enough for long cruising. It still offers an incredible storage space for a 36ft:

Old 11-24-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

PCP,
I think that the 360 is the best looking of all the Nordship's you have posted. It is way less boxy looking, very pretty. Deck wise do you realize it has bigger cleats than the Allures you had posted earlier. And the Assy on the Fancore Roller furler is the way to go on any sailboat used for coastal or blue water cruising. Very nice cockpit also.
Below, the idea of those slates under the mattress is perfect I have never seen that before but I may talk with Boreal about it. I'm tired of fighting damp mattress's over the last 40 years. One can also see what is in that huge storage place with that slat design.
The 360 is the perfect boat to sail long distance cruising. If you can get it without the teak it would be a wonderful boat for the Sea of Cortez.

Cheers
Old 11-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Wow... a perfect boat for the PNW.

Years ago Cooper yachts managed to produce some fairly attractive PH cruisers.. but this one really ticks all the boxes.

Love the good sails, storage ideas, ventilated berth platforms, raised settee and esp the overall 'non Ikea' fit and finish. (ironic since it's a Scandinavian boat!) Beautiful. Not sleek, no 36foot DS can really be, but very nicely done with a good cockpit and what looks like reasonable sightlines over the house. It also makes sense that you needn't spend space on an inside steering station with today's remote APs..

Send me one (along with a winning lottery ticket!)

EDIT.. Agree with hannah about the teak... is that an option?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.