Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

EDIT.. Agree with hannah about the teak... is that an option?
Yes of course. On these boats you can really make lot of modifications. They make about 10 boats a year all with great care. As I have said I at talked personally with the owner/designer about his boats and it enthusiasm is huge even if he is not a young guy anymore. He make boats passionately and without compromises in what regards quality or price. He just do what he thinks is the best way to put his ideas on the water and this guy has great ideas and a huge knowledge:

The founder of the company Lars Buchwald started by making accommodation and as sub-contractor for several well-known Danish ship yards. During the years they have gathered a great deal of knowledge from building and developing racing yachts, producing one-off projects and making several boats for sailing around the globe.

In 1988 Lars Buchwald acquired the rights for the Nordship boat program, which was the beginning of an extensive development program, where all the experience from previous constructions was used in the process of developing the new Nordship models. It was during this time the yard changed name to Nordship Yachts Aps.

At the beginning of 1990's the first deck-saloon yachts were introduced, and today the Nordship model program consists only of deck-saloon yachts produced individually to meet the specific clients wishes and requirements.
In 2008 the yard celebrated its 30 year jubilee, together with the celebrations of the new facilities at the current address in Lunderskov.

Nordship Yachts is one of the leading manufacturers of deck-saloon yachts.

You can see him showing the boat on the 36ft movie, passionate as always.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012

Vendee Globe

Jesus, another one that is probably have to give up and this time a true contender to the victory, Vincent Riou:

Vincent Riou tells about his colision with a metal buoy. “I was sailing on port side when I heard a big noise at bow of the boat. The buoy hit the starboard side. This is the first problem and that’s bad but it’s not the worst. I managed to see the boy because I was the navigation station. It was a huge metal buoy, something you find in a commercial port. Because it was almost submerged it must have been at sea a long time.

I think the buoy was half air and half water. “After the buoy hit the hull four metres away from the bow, it hit the shroud, the carbon cable which helps to support the mast. The only luck I have today is that it is only carbon composite material, so me and my team are analysing the damage in order to find the best way to imagine some repairs. I have sent all the information to my architect and rigging manager. I expect some repair proposals from them. The Vendée Globe turns on very small details like rubbish you can find on the water. See you (sadly)"...

“I think I have a good solution to repair the boat efficiently. But it could take a long time because of the weather conditions. It’s very hot and it’s complicated. I won’t be able to repair whenever I want. I am trying to find the best solution and see if I can go on with my race. The Vendée Globe turns on very small details like rubbish you can find on the water.”

The 40-year-old Brittany skipper is famous for his skill and inscrutability but you need some luck to finish a Vendée Globe let alone win one. It these hidden dangers, rogue containers and buoys that are not where they are supposed to be, are what the skippers fear most.

Meanwhile Sam Davies (wit another sailor) is bringing back her boat uder Jury rig to France, doing 7K.

Sam Davies et sa nouvelle grand-voile por VendeeGlobeTV

The "small" problems that were making Stamm to be slower than the others. Don't miss this. Stamm went to the top of the nast with the boat at speed slaming int o waves to take care of that little problem Very impressive images. These guys are not only incredible sailors but also incredible guys capable of quite amazing stuff.

Bernard Stamm grimpe en tête de mât por VendeeGlobeTV

Second week’s highlights (in English)

Second week’s highlights por VendeeGlobeTV

Last edited by PCP; 11-24-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2012

Vendee globe

Nothing new at the head of the race except Vincent's bad luck.

They have posted some fantastic videos with sailors presentation. Lets see the front pack:

Le portrait d'Armel Le Cléac'h por VendeeGlobeTV

Portrait François Gabart por VendeeGlobeTV

Jean-Pierre Dick's portrait por VendeeGlobeTV

Alex Thomson's portrait por VendeeGlobeTV

Le portrait de Vincent Riou por VendeeGlobeTV

Bernard Stamm's portrait por VendeeGlobeTV

Last edited by PCP; 11-24-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2012

Arc

Grand Canaria port and Marina is packed with boats. The rally starts today

Old 11-25-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Vestas Sailrocket

Rumour says 65,45 knots over 500m, 68,01 knots top speed...

Mr W
Old 11-25-2012

Arc

ARC Start Delayed for Cruisers
24 November 2012

It was announced at noon today at the Skippers' Briefing in Las Palmas that the start of the ARC will be delayed for the cruising divisions.

For the first time since 1989, the start of the ARC has been delayed due to predicted high winds. A low pressure system is predicted to bring winds of 25 knots or more on Sunday night, making uncomfortable conditions in the wind acceleration zone south of Gran Canaria. Cruising and Multihull division skippers have been offered two start dates; one as planned on Sunday 25, and one on Tuesday 27 November.

The low pressure system is predicted to bring southerly winds of 25 knots or more, with 35 knots plus in the wind acceleration zone to the south of Gran Canaria. Boats are expected to be in this area for their first night at sea on Sunday night, and while not unmanageable, the conditions are likely to be uncomfortable for the majority of the family cruising boats.

All cruising skippers were offered the choice of starts; to take the original start on Sunday 25, or a rescheduled start on Tuesday 27 November. The majority of skippers elected to wait until Tuesday 27, remaining in harbour in Las Palmas while the winds blow through.

Stronger winds do provide ideal conditions for the racing fleet, and these boats will take start on Sunday, as planned.

http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/news.aspx
Old 11-25-2012

Puma for selling. Nor anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post

PUMA Volvo 70 For Sale - mar mostro Anyone interested?
SOLD!! to the Ladies

SCA participates in Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015.

About 80 percent of SCA’s consumers globally are women. This strong reason is behind SCA’s decision to sign an all-female crew for one of the sporting world’s most challenging events. SCA is participating with a boat in the next round of the world Volvo Ocean Race in 2014-2015.

“SCA’s participation in the Volvo Ocean Race is important in our continued journey of change. As a Group, SCA invests in global growth, particularly in the hygiene area. The Volvo Ocean Race will increase awareness of the SCA brand and create stronger links to product brands ...

“SCA’s investment in an all-female crew is unique. Competing for nine months in the world’s toughest offshore sailing race is a challenge that deserves respect. The new boat design lends itself to an all-female crew, and our aim is to create a strong team that will have the best possible platform to undertake the challenge," says Richard Brisius, Atlant.

SCA is the world’s second-largest hygiene company and Europe’s largest private forest owner with sales in more than 100 countries.

SCA participates in Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015

While we wait for the delivery of our race boat, scheduled to be delivered in autumn of 2013, we have acquired a top-notch training boat to begin our team preparations

-"We have bought the VO70 boat Puma which came third in the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012", says Richard Brisius, Managing Director of Team SCA.

The boat is now in the United Kingdom undergoing a graphic makeover and being adjusted to become the ideal training boat. ...

"Right now we are putting together a group of crew candidates. It is a very exciting work and we have been in contact with many interesting, experienced and qualified female sailors from around the world. We hope to have a first group of sailors ready for our team towards the end of the first quarter of the 2103. From there, we will continue to build and our plan is to have most of the crew ready to go during the summer of 2013."

Within Team SCA, there is a small group that works with the selection of candidates. The group includes, besides Richard Brisius, among others Magnus Olsson with experience from seven Volvo Ocean Race projects as well as Joao "Joca" Signorini who won the competition in 2009 with Ericsson 4 and who also sailed on the Telefónica boat in the latest Volvo Ocean Race.

Puma is Team SCA training boat for 2014 Volvo Ocean Race

So this gives you a difference in budget in what regards the VOR and the Vendee Globe. Here, not even on a top team, they buy a last edition boat has a training boat (a two year old boat), a brand new boat for the race and will have to pay an year of training to a very numerous sailing team.

On a Vendee Globe a boat that had raced the last edition and that means a 5 year old boat is still Competitive and a 2 years old boat is a "new" boat.

Besides that the skippers of the Vendee Globe do not require an year of paid training (and that's not eleven, bu just one). They are already trained by a full season of racing on their Open 60 that is not used only for the vendee Globe but to a Full championship that includes many transats and a duo circumnavigation.

That's why you have 20 boats at the start of the Vendee an 5 at the start of the VOR.

Anyway that are great news. I hope they can get a good team. For sure I would put Sam Davies as Captain and on that crew Jeanne, Dee, Isabel and some other great solo sailors. Well, if they could manage to put Ellen racing again...it would even be a winning team. That would be really nice. Groupama victory proved that even rookie solo good sailors are competitive on the VOR with some training and a great Captain.

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2012

Xp33

It seems that the new XP33 is not only beautiful but also fast:

They say about the boat:

All X-Yachts are superior “upwind” yachts, and the Xp 33 is expected to be a downwind flyer as well.
Xp 33 is designed for both IRC and ORC.

Yes, it is a relatively narrow boat as all XP but just look at this transom:

Yes, with the relatively low weight and this transom design I believe it will be a Flyer downwind and also an easy boat (when not pushed to the limit). Very nice indeed

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2012

New boat: Iroise 46

This is a very interesting boat even if it looks just like another aluminum boat. It is made by one of the best French Aluminum shipyards and designed by Pierre Delion and Pierre Rolland. Rolland is well known for making racing and fast boats and this one, even if does not look like it, it is a fast long range cruiser. we could even call it a performance one even if its looks make that seems funny

It is not only fast as it has only 1.80m draft and it is a twin keel that can be beached on his legs. The secret of this fast all around long range cruiser boat?: It is a very well built boat with a modern hull and a agreeable and functional interior, a simple and very light one, but the secret is its overall very low weight. The boat weights only 9 900kg and that for a aluminum boat with 46ft is amazing. It has also a relatively high B/D for this type of boat (32%) and that and a 4.26m beam make it a powerful boat. Upwind it can carry 107 m2 of sail and downwind 198m2. That is enough to make this long range cruiser a fast sailboat.

Many times on the sailing program these boats promise a lot and don't deliver in what regards speed. Well, it seems that this is not the case with this one. The boat was tested by Voile and Voiliers and the performance is as good as they sugest:

With Main and Genoa:

12.0K wind at 35º trw - 7.5K.......13.8K wind at 80º Trw - 9.0k
13.5K wind at 90º trw - 9.2K.......9.0K wind at 90º Trw - 7.0K

with Main and asymmetric spy:

10.5K wind at 120º trw - 8.5K......12K wind at 160º Trw - 6.7K

I guess this boat on the trade winds with 18/20k will go effortlessly at two digit speeds and it will cross Oceans days ahead of the typical aluminum centerboarder. The boat could be nicer (even if I do not find it ugly ), but it is a hell of a boat

The price is an interesting one: about 330 000 full equipped with sails (including geenaker and assym. spy), generator, folding propeller and diesel heating (no tax included). A lot of boat for the money.

Look at how the boat glides without almost any wind:

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2012

Vendee Globe

Vincent Riou worked all nigh laminating with carbon to find out at day light that it would not going to stick He has abandoned the race and is sailing to Brazil.

Day 16 highlights - Sunday, November 25, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV

On the head of the race things have not changed: Armel is leading and François was not able to close on him but is not losing miles either. The third, Jean-Pierre has lost some miles to the leader but he is more to the west and they have again a big tactical play ahead: Before getting strong winds again they have to pass a high pressure zone with weak wind.

Certainly one of them has the better position, Armel or Jean-Pierre? The conditions are different but I confess that I cannot say who will have the advantage: Jean-Pierre seems to have stronger wind, Armel a better angle. Anyway tomorrow it will be interesting to see who has gained on this little play.

François is just only a bit more to the west regarding Armel and the difference in what regards position advantage (or disadvantage) should not be as big as in what regards Jean-Pierre that is much more to the west of both.

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

Meanwhile the Polish Zbigniew Gutkowski that was racing in last position has also given up with unsolvable problems on the autopilot. Here is his presentation video:

Zbigniew Gutkowski's Portrait por VendeeGlobeTV

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.