Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hey, stop the burn on the Hunter. It probably has a 75hp Caterpillar option that will smoke your Comet upwind.

Attention to detail is what really distinguishes a careful designer like the mentioned architect. Check out that built-in stern ladder. On your way up from your swim, do not knock yourself on the head with the seat rail above while trying to avoid the platform rigging installed on the same side!

Finally, that is not any chine, it is a motorsailing deep vee, so at 15 deg heel and 12 kts under full power, it chops waves! It's all about creating apparent wind these days!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
PCP you have courage to even bring this Hunter subject up on a forum.

I agree with you on all of it and there is a lot more to dislike in this boat. If this is the best Americans can do in a modern designed production boat then we are best off with no new designs at all. We really are in a sorry state on this side of the pond.
Americans will buy them and tell us all what a great boat they have.
Actually I am sorry and pissed. Hunter went down was rescued and I hoped they would get it right: How difficult is to get one of the 10 top NA and one of the 10 top interior designers and tell them what you want and what you think American sailors want?

why do they insist in an amateurish endeavor like if it was just a small firm with the owner doing some very particular and odd boat to a niche market of odd guys? Believe me I would like the Hunter to make good boats and to go out of that hard spot.

I believe their building quality is not different from the one of the European mass production boats, it is a design problem what they have and an easy one to solve. Europeans Brands use not only European Architects but Australians, Newzealanders, South Africans and even Americans , why cannot Hunter get a top NA?

I guess the problem is not only with Hunter. Somebody want to bet that the Hunter 40 is going to be boat of the year on one of the American sailing magazines?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-29-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2012

Dusseldorf boat show

Guys, I have to make bookings for the Dusseldorf boat show. Hotels are booked well in advance and airplane tickets get expensive when you book later. I have a free calendar and If somebody have a less free timetable I can adjust to have some beers and meet some of you, so the ones interested just send me a PM on the next days, say, till the middle of the next week.
Old 11-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Paulo... you certain about Steck designing this newest boat? That listing shows designs from the 80s and none since. Hunter has always talked about an in-house design team, variously led by Warren Luhrs, Henderson, and I heard/read lately that Rob Mazza (formerly of C&C) is the latest..
PCP likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-29-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Paulo,

I think we all would like to see hunter build good boats even just for coastal cruising boats.

I do not know the NA so I will not totally blame him. Maybe he had to work with handcuffs on. But if he did design under restrictions I do not know why unless he was hungry. But remember hunter wants its market to people with the big dream of becoming a sailor. I have met many hunter owners over the years and they did not know what to look for in a boat when they bought it. The wife had never been in a galley under sail but going in a hunter galley at the boat show looked more like her kitchen at home so that helps make sales. I could go on but not worth it, it is just sad. So you see it is not about what sailors want, it is about what non sailors want, that is the Hunter market. I have never met an experienced sailor who owned a reputable sailboat and who decided to change to a hunter.

And yes hunter40 will win boat of the year in the American rags because the people who read the rags are ? read above.

So what does an American company do to build a good production boat? How do they educate to new ideas and good old ideas alike.

Cheers
Say hi to JFE in Dusseldorf, stop in and see the boat I think there will be one there.

Last edited by hannah2; 11-29-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Paulo... you certain about Steck designing this newest boat? That listing shows designs from the 80s and none since. Hunter has always talked about an in-house design team, variously led by Warren Luhrs, Henderson, and I heard/read lately that Rob Mazza (formerly of C&C) is the latest..
I guess you are right. I looked for Hunter 40 designed by...and the only name that turn in was Steck but I checked better and they were referring to a Hunter 40 from the 80's. I am going to edit the post.

Anyway the point is valid. It seems even worst. All big brands have in house architects but they do not design the boats they make the interface between what the brand wants and the best world Architectural Naval offices that actually design the boats. They also help in the building, adjusting small details and modifying small things.

Thanks!

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2012

Quote:
Say hi to JFE in Dusseldorf, stop in and see the boat I think there will be one there.
For sure. I have never saw a Boreal 44 inside and I want to see it. I Have been inside Allures, OVNI and Cigale and I want to see how it compares in quality. After I let you know

Just kidding, I know that the quality and strength of the boat are great. Is not your boat by any chance?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by Faster; 11-29-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 11-29-2012

Vendee Globe

Quote:
Well it is looking like Virbac Paprec and the other western boats really have made South Easting in time. There is going to be a lot of boats in a tight group soon all running in 30 knots of wind. The way they have been running into things in this race,(bouys, fishing boats) I hope they do not run into each other. 96 hours out is where things will get really difficult as the boats are going to have to go deep into the 50 lats to keep the wind. There will be plenty of ice and fog plus a lot of tired sailors. With the race so close between so many boats some sailors will take the chance and go deep.
They have pulled the ice gate further North because growlers are more North that what was thought possible.

The race is just incredible with Jean-Pierre charging at 20K speed and saying:
"It's a bit like a velvet carpet, it surfs! We don’t have a beautiful weather out here; it is the premise of the Deep South! I’m getting into my world!

A world on the fast lane

Francois is doing 18k and I believe that him and Jean-Pierre will make the next 24 hours at record speed. Meanwile Armel that is still given as the First (with almost 120nm over Jean-Pierre) is making 12K that I believe that very soon it will be 14 or 15K.

I believe that difference over Jean-Pierre is a false one and that there are a good chance for Jean-Pierre and François to become 1st and 2th but it is going to be very close and Armel can even maintain the lead by the slightest of margins but I know one thing: The ride will be a lot softer for Armel and his boat and that also counts.

Armel has not the nick name of Chacal for nothing. In the end even if he loses some small distance it will be very well played by Armel that will come out with a less stressed boat and more french that the guys that are sailing doing over 20k on 30k winds

There is a long way ahead and strength and freshness is needed for a long race and for the final sprint.

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

Day 19 highlights - Wednesday, November 28, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV

Day 20 highlights - Thursday, November 29, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV
Old 11-29-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Sorry I do not understand the Ice gate thing. Is there a limit set by the race officials of how deep they can go into the ice?

If so then the top 7 or 8 boats in 90 hours are going to all be in light winds if they have to stay in the 40's. The 500 mb charts look bad for good wind. But that would let the slower boats make up ground.

Speaking of weather, looks like the ARC is all over the map as the weather is still weird. I do not think this will be a traditional trade wind year and I think there will be lots of beam on swell coming from up north.

No not mine, someone else. Boreals boat, Juan Sa Bulan is off to do a nice run around Cape Horn. 3 young men sailing her and having a great adventure as young sailors should.

Cheers
Old 11-29-2012

Vendee globe

Quote:
Sorry I do not understand the Ice gate thing. Is there a limit set by the race officials of how deep they can go into the ice?

If so then the top 7 or 8 boats in 90 hours are going to all be in light winds if they have to stay in the 40's. The 500 mb charts look bad for good wind. But that would let the slower boats make up ground.

Speaking of weather, looks like the ARC is all over the map as the weather is still weird. I do not think this will be a traditional trade wind year and I think there will be lots of beam on swell coming from up north.

No not mine, someone else. Boreals boat, Juan Sa Bulan is off to do a nice run around Cape Horn. 3 young men sailing her and having a great adventure as young sailors should.

Cheers
If you want to post about ARC be my guest. Last year I have posted but I have not find the time this year. The ARC with so many boats can give an idea of how the boats behave in what regards speed but it is all relative. It depends on the crew and on other things. Last year a big Island Packet was making a fast ARC...and then started to slow down. I guess they started to become short on diesel

Regarding the gates, yes there are plenty of them and the finality is to put the guys on a safe path out of icebergs and growlers. On the first editions there was no gates there was some nasty accidents and many just had a lot of luck and on that place the only guy that can help you is another racer, everybody else is thousands of miles away.

They have to leave Gouph Island to port and then they have to cross several gates along the way. The first one is south of Cape da Boa Esperança (I don't understand why you guys translate the name of capes, we don't call "chifre" to the horn). To see all the gates just open the tracker, don't touch the scale and follow the route. You will see all the gates.

Cheers

Paulo