Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe and ARC

Vendee Globe, 3/12 highlights:

Day 24 highlights - Monday, December 3, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV

ARC: A Really bad movie, it seems it is the "official one" but it looks like a bad comic one, from the beginning of the last century. If you want to see the boats that are doing the ARC you have just to stop the movie on the right image

Last edited by PCP; 12-03-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Didn't Armel cross the gate? And what about Stamm? Or did they change the gate and the tracking is outdated?
Old 12-04-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Not sure if posted, but here is page 1 & 2 of the sf3600 brochure

HERE is pg 3 & 4

Brochre is provisional I might add too!

Marty
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcharter View Post
you got a height of information about sailboats. you should make your website, so that more people get information from it. i hire a yacht in Dubai once, now from your information i can know the inner details of it.
Thanks. If I would make it that way I would make some money with it over paid publicity and that would have me tied to the thing. I sail/cruise 3 or 4 months in a year and I don't want internet or any complication in my live on those periods, so look at this ad just a temporary hobby to me, one that I can leave at any time.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Didn't Armel cross the gate? And what about Stamm? Or did they change the gate and the tracking is outdated?
Yes you are right and I have posted misleading information about it. That is a strange kind of gate it seems that you can pass it on any direction or just stay over it. Armel was not the only one that had not crossed it, Stamm did not cross it also.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2012

Jeanneau 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Not sure if posted, but here is page 1 & 2 of the sf3600 brochure

HERE is pg 3 & 4

Brochre is provisional I might add too!

Marty
Thanks Marty. Almost all those pictures were posted but that PDF gives new information even if none in what regards the interior that seems to be the negative part of this boat, in what regards performance cruising. However I could not access the internet pages you have posted. They ask me to log in

I guess that you are refereeing to this:

http://www.navark.se/wp-content/uplo...hyr_sf3600.pdf

The new images:

The overall shape of the hull seems great to me for a 36ft boat but the only access to cockpit storage is very small. Even if the space is considerable, as I suppose, it would have a difficult access. Given the storage space it is certain that for cruising, or even offshore racing this is a one cabin only boat since the other cabin would be full of stuff (4 persons anyway). If so it is difficult to understand why one of the cabins has not a cockpit access, like for instance on the J 111.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2012

Re: Dufour 410 Grand Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Paulo, that assesment is spot on - we chartered a 405 last summer in the Med for a week. Not much fun over 20 knots upwind, especially with a building sea. Sail reduction becomes an urgent thing; we did 20 miles to windward just a mile off the Turkish coast into a gusty sou-wester (28-35 knots). ... The flat bow sections just pounded as there was never enough speed available that close to the wind

..A nice stable downwind boat but our inshore upwind experience showed that "coastal cruiser" is not a genre of vessel which can happily ignore that scenario - often coastal weather conditions can be more severe that offshore in terms of wave / sea state, and proximity to a leeward shore is always on one's mind

...!
Again coming back to the 410, and that type of boats that are particularly beamy with a relatively small B/D ratio and I mean beamy boats with a modern keels with ballast ratios between 24% and 28%, Yacht magazine made recently a comparative boat test that is exemplar.

They compared in the water a Jeanneau 30i with older boats, a Halberg-Rassy 29 and a vindo 40ft long keel, all the boats on the water with short waves and against wind of 20K and over.

The Jeanneau, that has a B/D ratio of only 24% on those conditions could not generate enough poor to match the performance of those older boats. Put it on even more severe conditions and the results would be even worse.

I am quite sure that with flat water the jeanneau would easely out perform at least the boat with the same size ans even probably the bigger boat. I am talking about 20K wind, with weak winds the Jeanneau would just disappear on the horizon.

This problem is a generic problem with these type of boats, I am thinking for instance on the Oceanis 41. The Dufour 410 would not even be among the worst since it has a better B/D than the Jeanneau 30i and also better than the Oceanis 41. There are boats with this kind of beamy hull and a much better B/D. These ones like the new Hanse 415 would have a better performance since they can generate more power, but at the cost of a bigger pounding.

A boat like the XP33 would have smoked those two oldies even upwind. It is a boat not as beamy as the Jeanneau and with a much bigger B/D and that means not only less pounding (and wave drag) but also a lot more power for the same heeling. The mass production boats that are not so beamy and have a bigger B/D ratio are those that are called performance cruisers, like the Salona, the First, the Xp, Jboats or the Comet. That's why some sailors that have no racing in their minds prefer those boats over the typical mass production cruiser, I mean, for cruising.

As I have said, for cruisers that just don't go upwind with winds over 13/15K, and that are most cruisers, mass productions cruisers offer a bigger interior, a more stable platform in most occasions as well as a boat that offers very good overall speed (except on that particular case).

For the ones that think I am exaggerating when I say that most cruisers don't go upwind with a considerable wind I remember the words of my wive this summer on one of the more frequented sailboat European zones: " Only you go upwind with this weather" she complained (she was seasick) while I enjoyed myself discovering the good performance of my boat on those conditions, close against the wind with 1.5/2.0m short period waves and 18K wind. I looked around hooping to show her some other boats. bad luck, in all horizon I could see some sailboats....all going downwind, except one that was pounding heavily, motoring upwind.

Don't miss the VIDEO:

http://tv.yacht.de/video/In-der-Well...9fe7474f4a4545

regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-04-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2012

Vendee Globe

The race continues with an incredible pace. Armel has managed to maintain the lead, François had overtaken Jean-Pierre and maintain about the same distance to Armel. Stamm gained some miles.

For the next gate I believe there are two ways: one passing over it and I think that it is what Armel is going to do and other one crossing it from below. Stamm is probably going to cross it coming from bellow. François and Jean-Pierre can go either way. It seems to me that for a day or so Armel will have advantage but then it is possible that he enters a zone with weak winds.

Stamm will have a worse wind angle but will have wind all the way. I don't know what is better but I start to have a huge respect for Armel that is managing to pass without losing much speed in zones that seems that are going to slow him down a lot. So....

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

Day 25 highlights - Tuesday, December 4, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV
Old 12-04-2012

Swiss and sailing

Swiss never ceases to amaze me in what regards sailing: how a small country with less people than New York, without sea or any sea tradition has managed to won 2 Americas cup and have two top sailors competing in the Vendee Globe?

In fact on of them, Stamm is on the leading pack and I guess it is one of the five I think is going to win the race. The other one is Dominique and he is far from being the last, racing on the second pack (7th now). These guys an Alinghy have been raising in the country a lot of interest in sailing and sailing is on the rise in Swiss. let's have a look at the kids and at the old timers

Swiss Sailing Promo Video 2011 from VIDEO.JUERGKAUFMANN.COM on Vimeo.

Bernard Stamm's portrait por VendeeGlobeTV

Dominique Wavre's portrait por VendeeGlobeTV
Old 12-04-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Paulo,

The pages I refered to a downloadable pdf's, that do show the info in the link you had!

Marty