Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Paulo's boat old sketch

Hey BenMP, I can not resist to show you a sketch that I have made 35 years ago about my dream boat

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Dog
The Cape George is an Atkin design, Little Bear I believe, that has been refined by Cecil Lange, owner of Cape George. It predates Cape Dory by several decades.
Old 11-02-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
LOL paulo,

Looks like my old dream boat, ie a Westsail 32 as a teen. Sailed on a friend of my stepdads. Now one showed up in my marina the other day, see a few here and there, and I go, what the Heel did I want one of them for?

I would want the Salona over a WS or that boat you designed years ago! Altho pretty..... to a degree............

so what time is it over in portugal? about 1pm need to get out and do some more work, actually sunny out today! oh yeah, got a bullet sailing the other day!
Old 11-02-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
RM 1200 versus Pogo 12.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Hi Paulo!
I had one more look to the RM yachts and think they look really interresting. This interior design looks very reasonable for long haul family cruising. Quite comfortable. I just wonder how fast they really are. Do you have an idea? As you know me I certainly constantly compare with the Pogo 12.50...
What I don't like so muchseeing e.g. the RM 1200 is the 'small' cockpit.
Ulf
Yes I have. I had tried the RM 1200 because I had the same doubts you have.

The answer is there is no comparison. They are completely different boats. The Pogo is a nervous boat that needs the weakest of winds to sail. The Rm 1200 will need at least 7 or 8k wind to sail at 5.5K and has not the kind of feeling sports boats have at the tiller or at the wheel. The RM 1200 is a very stable boat made to eat miles on autopilot, with comfort and easiness.

The Pogo will do the same a lot faster, but you will have to reef a lot more times, be more at the tiller and would have a lot more work.

The RM can sail well with a big load (big tanks) while the Pogo will lose quickly its speed if you load it the way you can load the RM.

The interior of the RM 1200 is just great, near the perfection, the one from Pogo is quite basic.

The new RM 1060 looks a faster boat, if compared with the RM 1200 and the RM1300 is, like the RM 1200 an easy boat, but a faster one. There is one racing in the "Route du Rhum" and it is making a hell of a race, beating a lot of class 40 racing boats (but that is a naked boat ).

If you want a slightest slower boat than the Pogo, but with a much better interior, look at the Opium 39 (posted on this thread). That one has the same feeling as Pogo, and its the same kind of boat. I have sailed that one and it is really fast.

After a lot of research my conclusion (and that's the same as several boat journalists) is that a boat like the Pogo, if compared with a top sports boat like the J122 or a Salona 42 is only better if you want to cross oceans with it.

It is a boat made for the trade winds. For coastal cruising and in other points of sail the Pogo offers no advantage if compared with those boats and it is even slower and more uncomfortable against the wind. When the Pogo really excels is on the stability and speed on a downwind ride

That's why I would prefer a Salona 37 over the Pogo 1050. It is not that I will not cross oceans, but most of my sailing will be coastal, in changing winds .

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2010

I'm LOSING! dang it, did not know I was sailing in that race. SO why the heck am i spending my lunch updating my wifes computer for her biz books!?!?!?!?! dang it! better to be seasick on a boat, than in a house working on a computer trying to update the ram, which did ot work last night, now to imput the quickbooks program...........

Oh well, off to marina to pull weeds at YC I belong to, and get paid to take car of landscape, along with one other, look at a house that needs a new driveway............
Old 11-02-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Salona 41 looks the goods to me. Not to criticise the 37 but I do like the extra space (particularly in the galley) of the S41. Very nice indeed.

35 years ago Paulo, my dreams centred around

I'm thinking we had similar dreams. Certainly no boat nor any crew inspired me more than the Hiscocks and Wanderer III.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-03-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
35 years ago Paulo, my dreams centred around

I'm thinking we had similar dreams. Certainly no boat nor any crew inspired me more than the Hiscocks and Wanderer III.
Interesting you should post that, Andrew. I've been reading Hiscock's books so much I bought the closest thing I could find!!

Even though designed here in Oz three years before Wanderer III, the only significant difference between their boat and mine is that they had a slightly longer cabin, no doghouse and a tiny cockpit. Both boats drew on the LG Virtue extensively and the hull dimensions and lines are almost identical.

If this was your dream, we really MUST go for a sail sometime!! ..and I should stop reading sailing books.

Last edited by Classic30; 11-03-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Interesting you should post that, Andrew. I've been reading Hiscock's books so much I bought the closest thing I could find!!

Even though designed here in Oz three years before Wanderer III, the only significant difference between their boat and mine is that they had a slightly longer cabin, no doghouse and a tiny cockpit. Both boats drew on the LG Virtue extensively and the hull dimensions and lines are almost identical.

If this was your dream, we really MUST go for a sail sometime!! ..and I should stop reading sailing books.
Cameron, I think I mentioned at the time that I thought she had a bit of Laurent Giles and Wanderer about her. Any time I'm in Melbourne I'm most certainly up for a sail.

Now back to the plastic....

Paulo....we talked Sydney earlier on but did you see this ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-03-2010

be still my beating/thumping heart!

Sydneys have always had a place in my ooooo la la part of me.

Sometimes i wish I sailed in Europe or Oz vs here in the states.
Old 11-04-2010

myocean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes I have. I had tried the RM 1200 because I had the same doubts you have.

The answer is there is no comparison. (...)

The Pogo will do the same a lot faster, but you will have to reef a lot more times, be more at the tiller and would have a lot more work.
OK, seeing the displacement I assumed exactly this. The displacement seems to be a good measure for this, do you agree?
Regarding "a lot more work" I can imagine that the Pogo 12.50 would be easier to handle than the Pogo 10.50 as it has been simplified in some points.

What do you think about the effect of having a real good autopilot. The NKE Gyropilos used for the Pogos are really good. Vendee Globe boats can go on autopilot nearly all the time. Which level of technology is needed for that?

Quote:
The RM can sail well with a big load (big tanks) while the Pogo will lose quickly its speed if you load it the way you can load the RM.
Yes, right. But I still wonder about the absolute numbers. What would be a reasonable payload for a Pogo.

Quote:
If you want a slightest slower boat than the Pogo, but with a much better interior, look at the Opium 39 (posted on this thread). That one has the same feeling as Pogo, and its the same kind of boat. I have sailed that one and it is really fast.
I am thinking about chatering one for a week or so next March. There is one in the Antilles :-) . However I think the lifting keel version is not so nice inside due to the space needed for this feature. The Pogo swing keel is better regarding this but probably not as robust so the boat can stand on it (as the Opium).

Quote:
(...)is only better if you want to cross oceans with it.
Yes, trade winds are the best, sure. I wonder if the additional comfort is really required (for me) for a full circumnavigation. Would be great to test such boats for several weeks. But that is nearly impossible.

Regards,
Ulf