Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1241Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

And here we have strategic play again, and Armel seems better at it then François. On the Drag race Armel was slowly losing miles to François. It has at 40nm when the Drag race finish. On the strategic play, in few hours, Armel won almost 30 to François and if I am reading well, it will continue to lose on the next hours.

That is just great, a faster sailor (or with a better sail) against a better tactician on much the same boat (the hull is identical, only the keel is different). Cool

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

and while some get nasty weather....some others just Rock (see the last movie)

Retour au calme pour Arnaud Boissièress por VendeeGlobeTV

Smoke on the water por VendeeGlobeTV
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012

Tall ships

The first time I knew that one day I would sail away happened when I was a 6 or 7 year old kid, looking at the white Fleet sailing out along the river bound to New Found Land. I wished to be with them. Every year my father and me, as a good part of Lisboetas went to the river banks to say goodbye and wish them good luck. Funny as those images still linger in my memory.

Later I had the privilege of knowing two of the Captains that used to sail those ships. I know that sailing them was just very hard and no fun, most of the time, but even so I remain fascinated by them.

So, just some good surviving movies of that era, most of them filmed by Allan Villiers. The first two about the white Fleet and Portuguese cod fisherman, the others about the Cap Horn road and the voyage of Joseph Conrad. Finally some modern ones with surviving Tall Ships sailing in heavy weather. I hope you enjoy as much as I, when I revisited these favorites of mine, I mean the old movies

Old 12-18-2012

New boat: Revolution 22

This is one of the most improbable boats that I could think off: An offshore 22ft aluminum pocket cruiser with a rounded bow. not only the material seems odd in a 22ft cruiser as the concept in itself is very unusual, lifting keel and all.

This is a David Raison project. David is not only a NA as a sailor and a racer that has come up previously with this strange mini racer:

Ok, all could see that the boat was fast downwind and in flat water but most raised doubts about sailing with waves specially upwind where the disadvantages of the concept are obvious. Most thought that the boat would not be competitive in real demanding conditions like the ones that are found on a Transat.

Than he won the France-Brasil mini Transat

and sailors start to think that this concept after all worked and start to think that he would come up with a 40class racer along the same design principles. Well, it is very possible that would happen, but the boat that he announced as the second to have this concept was a 22ft aluminum pocket offshore cruiser and again most were left with an open mouth

And now they have presented the boat:

Not only it seems to sail very well as I start to like the little bugger. If I was a young cruiser alone (or a couple), dreaming with voyaging and had not much money I guess that I would be sold to the idea. After all this is a very solid boat with an acceptable stability, an incredible standing height of 1.90m and a positively incredible interior space that includes a true head and all. On top of this the boat sails well and is sold at the incredible price of less than 50 000 euros and that including 20% VAT. That is about the same price of a J70.

This is pretty much the boat for an adventurous young cruiser that wants a pocket cruiser, not expensive, very resistant, transportable with a minimum of maintenance, fast and a go anywhere boat, a kind of four wheel drive. The boat can be transported anywhere, it can go almost anywhere and can look for shelter on any creek or little river. It needs only to pull the keel up.

This is a very interesting boat, the question is: There is a market for it? Curiously I would say that there is a bigger market for pocket cruisers in America than in Europe but I doubt that the more traditional American taste in boats would permit it to have success there.

I remain very curious about this boat and its success, or not, on the market.

Mr W and jasenj1 like this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2012

Vendee Globe

Before the daily report and waiting for their translation of the Day Highlights, tak a look at these images. Look at the speed and the sea.

Bertrand talks about gusts with 35/43K and that on these occasions the boat goes to a dangerous "overspeed", I guess, over 30K speed. really impressive, these boats sailing on autopilot with this seas and speed.

Bertrand de Broc au large de Saint-Paul por VendeeGlobeTV

Bernard Stamm : « On a failli avoir un vrac en... por VendeeGlobeTV
Old 12-18-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I really like those Southerlies. If I could afford one. I think it would be something very similar. Well built, capable of blue water and getting up rivers (or away from others at mooring) and very well thought out.

I've been making a list of other boats with swing keels. I simply love the concept.
Old 12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
I really like those Southerlies. If I could afford one. I think it would be something very similar. Well built, capable of blue water and getting up rivers (or away from others at mooring) and very well thought out.

I've been making a list of other boats with swing keels. I simply love the concept.
The Southerlies only have a defect. The are expensive.

Paul and Sheryl Shard (that couple that makes for many years documentaries around the world on cable TV) traded their old boat for a 42 and some years later bought a 49. It seems that they are living well and it seems they like the Southerlies and those two know one or two things about bluewater boats.

Southerly - News - Distant Shores New Season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant...ling_TV_series)

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-18-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The Southerlies only have a defect. The are expensive.

Paul and Sheryl Shard (that couple that makes for many years documentaries around the world on cable TV) traded their old boat for a 42 and some years later bought a 49. It seems that they are living well and it seems they like the Southerlies and those two know one or two things about bluewater boats.

Southerly - News - Distant Shores New Season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant...ling_TV_series)

Regards

Paulo
When I started looking into Southerly i came across them. They had a great blog discussing their boat and its modifications/preparations. I really enjoy learning about how people prep/modify boats for long distance cruising. There's such a wealth of knowledge! ...just like this thread :-)
Old 12-19-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Yes, thanks Paulo for the great videos of the southerly 42. Let me tell you it is constantly rain and snow mix here in Hood River and we have not had a look at the sun in weeks. That couple beaching the 42 made our day. We were not planing going to the Bahamas but we might just change our mind. We plan on occasion doing what they did with their southerly with the Boreal 44. Nice boat that Southerly where is it made, I can't remember?
Old 12-19-2012

Southerly 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Yes, thanks Paulo for the great videos of the southerly 42. Let me tell you it is constantly rain and snow mix here in Hood River and we have not had a look at the sun in weeks. That couple beaching the 42 made our day. We were not planing going to the Bahamas but we might just change our mind. We plan on occasion doing what they did with their southerly with the Boreal 44. Nice boat that Southerly where is it made, I can't remember?
Jesus man, that should have pissed a lot of British. That is one of the last survivors (and one of the most successful) of the once prosperous British pleasure yacht industry.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-19-2012

Vendee Globe

The battle between those two has been great. It seems I was right. On the last post I have said that it seemed to me that Armel was slightly better at the strategic play and François slightly better at pure speed and this seems to be a pattern now:

Armel overtook François when the game was strategic, François come again and overtook Armel on the Drag race. Time for Drag race now

Last night the third, Jean-Pierre did not look to be doing the right speed to the wind he has. Now we know that he has problems: He had to go up on the mast and it is the second one that does that with the boat sailing and this time it seems to have been in even worst sea conditions than Stamm. I would have loved to see a video with that stunt.

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

All explained here with detail by them and more :

How quickly the hunter becomes the hunted. Francois Gabart (MACIF) re-took his lead on Wednesday morning, 15 hours after losing it to Armel Le Cléac’h (Banque Populaire). They also both passed the halfway mark on the theoretical mileage for the race and seem destined to play cat and mouse round the world. Just as Armel The Jackal chewed his way to Gabart slowly, likewise Gabart fought his way back a mile every hour. Gabart is just 5.3 miles ahead of Le Cléac’h and only 20 miles to the north as they race in the direction of the Auckland Islands, south of New Zealand.

Matthew Pryor

For several days now, third-placed Jean-Pierre Dick has been unable to use two of his headsails - his staysail and gennaker – on Virbac-Paprec 3. The part that holds the top of the sail was broken. Despite the extreme southern latitude, Jean-Pierre Dick climbed up the mast last night (French time) for a dangerous operation that lasted two hours and allowed the Nice-based skipper to replace the damaged part with a new one.

“I had been waiting for favourable weather conditions to climb up the mast for several days. It is a risky type of operation but I had no choice. You’re by yourself, there’s strong wind and a rough sea and, to top it all, it’s cold and you’re in the screaming fifties. Needless to say, you ask yourself a lot of questions before climbing up there.
“I waited until the conditions were calmer and I set Virbac-Paprec 3 running downwind to slow her down to 10 knots. Climbing up the mast and going down was quite perilous, you’re shaken right and left, I wasn’t very confident. I managed to replace the damaged part.

“I’m very happy I did it because in this part of the world, you don’t get that many opportunities to go and become an aerial acrobat. Virbac-Paprec 3’s potential is back to what it used to be, which is great news for the rest of the race.”

Captain's log, A. Thomson: " The pilot accidently gybed the boat "

I was in my bunk this morning when the pilot accidently gybed the boat in about 25 knots of wind. It was not an enjoyable moment, having your whole world turn on its side in an instant. I felt the boat start to go and jumped out of my bunk to try and get to the helm to stop it but I only got as far as the companion way before she went, and then she was on her side. It took me a while to get the boat upright again and then gybe back. I did a check around the boat and it seems that I got away with no serious damage. It is really rough out here. Very bumpy and really confused waves. I am trying not to go too fast at the moment as she starts to slam a bit.

Yesterday highlights:

Day 39 highlights - Tuesday, December 18, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV