Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post

More reasons we picked the Boreal over the Allures as both are strong tough boats but we felt the Boreal was a little more what we call industrial and we could work with the designer to customize.

Hope you all are having or had a great holiday.
Yes, I am sure about that. That's why I also prefer to deal with smaller builders: they can be a lot more accommodating in what regards customizing a boat and that is very important for someone that knows what he really wants

Regarding having a great holiday, I had come back from my brother's house in Lisbon. It was is turn to host Christmas and is always a happy and boisterous reunion even more since the kids have now age to drink. Well, in two meals, 12 bottles of wine, 6 of Champagne, not counting whisky, Gin or Brandy and can you believe it, nobody drunk Our grand father made wine so I guess we all now how to appreciate it and drink it

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

You folks in Europe know how to drink, and make strong boats.
Old 12-25-2012

Atlantic 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
More! More! Lol Merry Christmas to all! Love learning about how seasoned cruisers have outfitted their boats. When i get to my laptop, i'd be happy to share the short list of centerboard cruisers. Perhaps others will know of more.
Ok, here you have my favorite. I was interested in the boat some years ago but the price was out of budget. The Atlantic 43 costs more than Half a million of Euros. The price has to do with the boat being a lot more complicated than a center-boarder with all the weight inside the boat. It is also a Dutch boat and Dutch makes very good boats (and have a big tradition in aluminum boats) but also very expensive boats.

Of course I like it strong but also like it fast and in what regards stability this boat is a monster

The boat, in the version of bulled lifting keel has a B/D ratio superior to the ones of the Boreal or Allures (40% to 37%) and that is with the keel up. But contrary to the other two boats that have the ballast inside, the Atlantic has the ballast on the keel, most of it in a bulb so when the bulb is down at 2.95m it will provide a RM massively superior to the ones of Boreal or Allures as well as an even better AVS.

That means a very seaworthy boat and a very powerful one, able to maintain a lot of sail up with bad weather, and off course, a very fast one.

The boat has a weight close to the one of the Boreal and is lighter than the Allures. It has the same beam has a Boreal 44 and also two rudders on its transom.

On the shipyard they say about the boat:

Atlantic 43: Aluminium cruiser with flexible draft between 1,30 till 2,95 m in combination with double rudders. Aluminium sailing yachts .. for the absolute heaviest conditions during your worlds travel. Our yachts are real "All-Weather-Go-Any-Where" cruisers. The Atlantic 43 is designed by our yard together with naval architect Dick Zaal. They are unique in its kind and notable for robust, flowing lines, lifting keel and twin balance rudders. This combination ensures excellent sailing performance, to be compared with fixed keel boats, only with the advantage that the draft of the boat (lifting keel) can be changed. The combination of lifting keel and twin balance rudders makes it also possible to beach the boat, enter shallow waters, to arrive later in tidal harbors or to leave earlier.

Well considered design plus painstaking selected rigging makes the Atlantic 43 sailor-friendly. An ergonomically designed deck lay-out allowing for all sail handling to be carried out singlehanded. The Atlantic 43 is imbued with comfort, exactly for those moments when required the most: at sea. Real comfort is not defined by built-in contrivances, it is more a question of ergonomics: sitting, working and resting while underway should be comfortable. The custom built interior reflects the discerning taste of the owner and will be tailored to your requirements. Each Atlantic is a sturdy, safe floating home and a reliable investment for the owner. The craftmanship required to achieve the build quality is readily apparent and adds to the pleasure of sailing.

Ok, to be fair boats like the Allures or the Boreal, not comparable in righting moment, power or speed have two big advantages: Price, simplicity and easy maintenance.

If I had the money I would exchange all that disadvantages by the superior stability and speed of the Atlantic 43 but all that being following this thread knows that I like very fast boats and boats that provide a lot of fun to sail.

For me the Atlantic 43 would fit more my style but I am not saying by any means that it is a better boat than the Boreal or Allures or that it would fit better other style of sailors. I am saying that this is also a great boat and one that can join the other two at the top of the ranking of voyage boats that can go anywhere.

More than a year ago I had already posted about this boat, here it is what I have said than:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I like so much the concept of a go anywhere strong boat that I have taken a lot of work looking for one, I mean one that besides those attributes had also the one that is difficult to have together with the others: Speed

And I have found it, a Dutch boat designed by Dick Zall, The Atlantic 43. It is a more than 6 old year design, but one that was so advanced for its time that I will gladly have one if I could pay the price (more than 500 000€).

The Atlantic 43 is an Aluminum boat with variable draft and a hull that is based on the Open 60 design. Bulb down it has around 3.00M draft, Bulb up 1.3M. ...and it has a much much bigger sail potential.

Just to give you an idea regarding the difference in stability and sail power, the Ovni has all the ballast inside the boat, near the gravity center and a Ballast/displacement of 36%. The Atlantic has a better Ballast/displacement ratio : 39% and has its ballast not inside the boat, but down, several meters
under the boat center of gravity. The difference in stability will be huge, as the capacity to carry sail upwind as also the safety reserve stability and the AVS.

modellen_atlantic_43_title | Atlantic 43 | Atlantic Yachts

Regards

Paulo
opc11 likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2012

The Sydney Hobart 2012

is starting.

The boats:

The Yachts - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2012

The traker:

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/tracker/

I am very curious about the performance of a Hanse 415, a brand new mass production cruiser among racers and performance cruisers
Old 12-25-2012

Sydney-Hobart

and the race starts to be notice by the wrong reasons:

Wild Thing banned from Sydney-Hobart

The race committee of the Sydney-Hobart announces it won't accept the entry of Wild Thing just hours before this year's race kicks off.

A DEVASTATED Grant Wharington has lashed out at a Rolex Sydney-Hobart ''conspiracy'', after Wild Thing was banned from the annual blue-water classic.

His lips trembling and close to tears, Wharington, the Wild Thing skipper, said he was "absolutely devastated" to be told his super maxi yacht had been banned from this year's race.

Wharington said he had been further insulted by an offer to sail down the 628 nautical mile course with the other yachts but not be part of the race.

Wharington said he believed he had been targeted by "a conspiracy" and suggested some officials at the Cruising Yacht Cub of Australia were biased against super maxi boats.

"We provided the documentation and we were told on Wednesday we could go and now it is withdrawn," Wharington said after a 30-minute meeting with the CYCA race committee during which he pleaded his case.

He and his crew headed back to the boat after leaving the CYCA where the plans to "demolish a few cases of beer."

CYCA Commodore Howard Piggott said Wharington had failed to file declarations from the designer and builder of Wild Thing that the yacht complied to ABS standards for racing boats.

Doubts had been cast over Wild Thing since race director Tim Cox told the Christmas Eve skipper's briefing that the yacht still owed him "heaps" of paperwork.

Yachts have to lodge documents covering their construction, any modifications, their international ratings certificate and compulsory safety checks before be given permission to start in the 628 nautical mile race.

Wharington was at the CYCA sailing office this morning to sign documents and he left the club to board his boat believing he had been cleared to start.

However Piggott said there was no way Wild Thing would be allowed to start and patrol boats on the harbour would be ordered to keep the yacht out of the race area.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

on the movie you can see why the boat was excluded.
Old 12-26-2012

daviid is on a distinguished road
Re: The Sydney Hobart 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
is starting.

The boats:

The Yachts - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2012

The traker:

Tracker - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2012

I am very curious about the performance of a Hanse 415, a brand new mass production cruiser among racers and performance cruisers
Hi Paulo

I am not sure if it really was the same boat as they say, but they finished third last over the line in real time in last years race. Maybe something to do with the crew?

I hop they surprise many this year

Merry Christmas and the best sailing winds for next season - I can't wait.

David
Old 12-26-2012

Telesail is on a distinguished road

Sorry to go back a few posts on this thread but the discussion on Aluminum boats was fascinating and particularly relevant to me as I am looking to buy something along those lines (perhaps Allure, Alubat or, now I have read the discussion, Boreal or Atlantic). While I am very taken with the whole variable draft thing, I think it is the advantages of Aluminum that I find most compelling. Does anyone have experience of the Alubat Cigale range and how it might compare to any of the other boats mentioned in terms of suitability for cruising?

Any insight gratefully received before I go touring French yards..........
Old 12-26-2012

Re: The Sydney Hobart 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviid View Post
Hi Paulo

I am not sure if it really was the same boat as they say, but they finished third last over the line in real time in last years race. Maybe something to do with the crew?

I hope they surprise many this year

Merry Christmas and the best sailing winds for next season - I can't wait.

David
Hi David,

A good year to you too

Yes you are right, a boat with the same name finished the race in the position you mention but I don't understand how it could be a Hanse 415. The boat was launched last year and could not have been on the Hobbart.

Anyway I am curious because the boat even fast and with a good power for a cruiser (stability) is not very well suited for an upwind race: Too much beam.

in this year's race, skipping racing boats, the first true production performance cruiser is the Sydney GTS 43, the Ker design that now is made by Salona in Europe. I had posted about the boat recently, said that it was one of the faster performance cruisers around and really on another league than the First, Salona and Dehler, a very exclusive league with the really few cruisers with a good cruising interior that can be among racers in a race.

Just have a look at the boats behind:

25th-Elliot 44; 26th-JV52; 27th-Nelson Mareck 52 28th-Martens 49; 29th-Reichel Puig 42; 30th-Ker 40.

Of course it is not only the boat, those guys are doing a fantastic race, but without a great boat they could not be there, leaving behind a lot of bigger race boats, sailing a performance cruiser.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-26-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2012

Vendee Globe

The epic match race between Armel and François keeps going after several days. The rhythm is absolutely breathtaking and what those two guys are doing is absolutely fantastic.

If they can keep up with the pace they will be faster than the first record on the Jules Verne trophy (fastest time around the world). In 1993 Bruno Peyron managed what was regarded as an incredible time: 79 j 06 h 15 min 56 s, with a crew of five on a 85ft multihull. 9 years later a solo sailor on a 60ft monohull is menacing doing better.

There are some that just can't see the huge improvements the Open'60 brought on the last years to boat design and why they are the bigger influence on modern cruising boat's design. This amazing feat shows how fast has been the evolution on these boats and the incredible evolution towards easier boats to sail with a smaller crew or even solo.

On the back of the race you have an old 1998 Open 60, he is at almost 5000nm from the first and the guy is making a fantastic race. His boat is 25% slower than the new boats

Back to the race: For now Armel managed to overtook François again but the distance is really minimal (11.2nm). The drag race is going to finish and ahead they have a very difficult strategic play. Big high pressure ahead and I don't have a clue about the best way to sail trough it. Maybe over it?

Anyway if they chose different ways the chances are that they end up out of it further apart.

Meanwhile Jean-Pierre seems the only one that can keep with this two in pure speed. He lost 150nm on the last days because he got caught on weaker winds but finally he has a good chance to recover several hundreds of miles to the leaders. The weather pattern is for the first time on the last weeks favorable to him.

Armel le Cléac’h (FRA, Banque Populaire):

Hello. The sun is rising. The wind is smoother now. I can rest a little, because the last hours were very tonic. Last minutes of rest before going back to work.

There are different routes, so I have to make my choice. I keep on going with my strategy; we’ll see how it goes. I feel like you guys are more worried than me. François and I are basically taking the same route. I have my journey planned, so I’m not stressed.

Captain's Log - Jean-Pierre Dick: "Every day is a new adventure"

I just gybe, there are 4.8 knots of wind, there is no air, it's crazy. However, there are still some big waves. It's amazing in the Southern Seas, even when there is no wind, the swell remains. The wind should be back in a few hours.

The elastic effect is really here. Yesterday, I earn 50 miles in the morning (French time) and I lost 162 miles in light winds. Nothing is played; every day is a new adventure.

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

Le Best Of de Noël por VendeeGlobeTV

Last edited by PCP; 12-26-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2012

Sydney Hobart / First 40

I had said in precious years that the First 40 was the type of boat to race the Hobart and it seems that the racers agree: This year the First 40 is the model with more boats racing: 8

It seems that the guys that raced this one with 40 class racers got feed up with being beaten by performance cruisers and are racing on First 40 (just kidding)

And the one that is ahead is making a hell of a race, going in 33th. Ahead he has a Sydney 47 and behind it, some racers and bigger boats: IRC40, Gross 60, DK 46; Farr 40 are the ones immediately behind.

A bit confused by not having here racing some XP 38, a boat that would also match very well the conditions. There is out there only a XP, a 44 and not very well sailed. It is on 38th position.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.